Full Size Diner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Size Diner

Has anyone ever seen a full size diner or made a top to cover a full size table to be used as a diner?

Strange question...why do you ask?
    "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

never seen, no.

let's hope your peas don't roll to the middle / blue spot. you won't reach em

ever tried to sit at a snooker table, using a chair? normally, the table support bars underneath it won't allow you to use a chair comfortably, as there is to little room for your legs...

Comment

Yes it is possible to get a full size diner which adjusts from playing height to dining and vice versa. These are bespoke tables costing circa 12k.

They feature a specially manufactured 1" five piece slate bed to reduce the weight. In order to lift the table you need to use two hydraulic car jacks to raise and lower the table. They feature heavy duty rise and fall mechanisms.

Personally I wouldn`t feel to safe lying across this weight of table supported by the rise and falls. How it performs, I don`t know. I would imagine that it would be very difficult to keep the playing surface true with the five piece slate bed. When we manufacture dining tables we restrict ourselves to one piece slates, the largest being 9ft x 4.5ft. Even with the one piece slate we have to add additional support beneath the slate to prevent sagging.

In the past we have supplied tables with dining tops. They are too high to sit at comfortably, but are ideal for buffet tables.

Comment

I wanted a sturdy cover to prevent it from damage, as I plan to keep my table in the hall. And using it as a buffet table was what I had in mind.

Comment

cool, WHAT a buffet

Comment

George wright made full size diners , at one end of the Frame it had a very large wheel under the table , like a ships wheel but horizontal not vertical , you just turned it to higher and lower , I have not seen a full sized one , but have seen a photo of the George Wright full sized one .

I have worked on a nice George wright 10 foot ( three piece slate ) which had a gear sytem inside the frame work , you remove one leg knee panel , inserted a starting handle type winder , this turned a bar which ran inside the wood frame to a cog at the next leg which had a bar that ran to the next leg , which had a bar that ran to the final leg and from this leg back to original leg , at each leg where situated a gearing made from Bronze , the table I worked on had all the teeth worn or broken on this gearing , only one survived intact , this was used to manufacture 4 new cog gearings in Steel , when they where fitted , the table worked perfectly ,
              The gearings turned all cogs at the same time , the centre of each leg had a steel shaft that was threaded which came out when wound up which raised the table on all four legs at the same time , I would think the full sized table was of simular workings and it only had four legs also . but very strong timber spans with deep archways for added strenth and anti bow properties , and i would supect a thinner slate than the norm for this table , but not in one piece

Yes full sized table custom made tops for boardroom or dining have been made , from just basic formica covered or melmine sections , or exotic woods such as Birds eye maple veneers . but as Senga has stated they do not make good dining tables due to the frame hindering the knees and the fact they have 8 legs and are too high to dine from a fixed hieght standard full size .
              Most have to have taller chairs and a good overhang of top for dining and they then look stupid .

ONE WORD OF WARNING ALWAYS HAVE A PLASTIC SHEET UNDER AND OVER THE TOPS , THEN THE TABLE CLOTH TO MAKE IT LOOK PRESENTABLE , IF SOMEONE SPILLS ANY LIQIUD YOU ARE SAFE FROM IT GETTING TO THE CLOTH BETWEEN THE JOINTS OF THE SECTIONED DINING OR BUFFET TOP .
              Last edited by Geoff Large; 11 June 2009, 09:13 PM.
              [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

I worked on a 10x5 diner manufactured by Thurston, but it was so long ago that i barely remember it. It had three slates, and also had the `starting handle`on one end of the table which connected to a threaded bar which ran the length of the underside of the table which adjusted from `dining height`to `playing height.
                I can however remember having a disagreement with the owner when he requested Rail pockets instead of the usual Bagnets.
                When you but cheap... You buy twice !

Comment

damn! i though it said full size dinner. i'm bloody starving!
                  The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Working...
                  X