6ft Table Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6ft Table Advice

Well, Christmas is approaching and ive decided im going to buy a 6ft snooker table for my home. Im not buying the table just for a game with my mates, i want something i can practice on, but my only problem is, i dont want to invest in a table where you cant screw the balls ect.

The product ive looked at is:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...OKER+TABLE.htm

Seems pretty decent, ive bought a few tables much smaller from argos before, and there pretty good. Just, this is a 6ft table, with 48mm balls, so im expecting a better performance from the table. So my question is, can you screw 48mm snooker balls, or can you on this type of table.

Thanks,

Martin

an honest assesment of this type of table , as a Billiard table fitter I hate these sort of tables , they are realy a table to wear out and throw away , as they are made to a very low build quality and are nailed and glued together , as for screwing back a ball this can be done on any table , quality of cloth and ball plus cue tip and of course slate bed will all make a differance to how much screw back or swerve can be made on any table .
    Rip the cloth on the cushions though and it is a nightmare to try and unnail and glue the cushion blocks apart just to recover .
    some of these tables you have to remove the rubber to get at the screws or nails or even staple nails etc , all blasted in with compressed air for a quick cheap build .
    Ok for Kids just to get them interested , but not for a serious player .
    I would rather recomend a second hand slate bed pub pool table than a new argos home table , but I guess some have to fold them away after use .
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

I can't say I really get 6 foot snooker tables. The balls break apart too easily, you can pot pretty much anything from anywhere, the balls are smaller so it is not even really substitute for playing on a full size table anyways. You can practice cue action though, but you don't have to be playing snooker to do this. So personally I would definitely try and get a second hand slate bedded pub pool table. Put a decent cloth on it and get a good set of english pool balls.
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Thanks, But i defiantly dont want a pool table, i need to buy something which isnt to heavy and can be moved around easily. The balls are only 4mm smaller than full size, so im guessing the table is built well to control them. I just wanted the main advice on screwing the balls. You say you can screw on any table depending on condition, well this seems pretty good, so i think ill invest. Thanks alot.

Comment

Sorry but this table is tat. If you want a 6ft table get a recon pool table.

Comment

Have to agree with all the above. A decent cloth costs the same as the whole price of that table, which shows you the standard of materials used. You can get light weight pool/snooker tables which are suitable for serious practice, but I they'll cost several times the price.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Old cue collector --
            Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
            (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzP1zMNfYdI

Take this table for example, small, but great for practice. Thats the kind of scale im running on. Alot of people i know have bought tables similar to the one in argos, and said there brilliant for practice, just i wanted a word from the experts. I just dont have the space or money to buy something better, im only 15 and really looking for something around £100 to £200 mark.

Thanks anyways

Comment

that you tube table is a slate bed , the way the cushions have slide out panels looks like they will be screw or bolt on type ( Not nailed or screwed onto fibre board bed like the argos table ) you can pick up second hand slate bed 6 foot or even 7 foot for around £50 to £200 on ebay , look at the legs on the youtube 6 foot , a little on the large thickness side to support fibre board , they are that thick and solid to support a slate bed , looks like the cushions on it have also been made correct and can be recovered the proper way .
                just trying to save you £100 on the Argos type table when there are plenty of 6 foot second hand slate beds around .

Comment

i didnt think there was such a thing as a 6 foot snooker table, only pool tables that size

Comment

Okay sounds good that,

my main question is, if i was to buy one, would 48mm balls be suitable. Ive had a table recently with 38mm balls, and they sucked, couldnt screw or anything. So i dont want to make the mistake in buying a good table with small balls.

Comment

Its not the size thats the issue its the quality of the balls really. Which is why I think it is best to stick to standard sizes like pub tables. For instance you could get a good set of tournament english pool balls. In the smaller obscurer sizes it gets more difficult to find quality balls.
                      I wouldn't think you'll have much problems though should be able to perform the full range of shots with any size ball, as long as they are all the same weight. A light / heavy white in particular will make it impossible to get back/top spin
                      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

you can only play with balls size suitable for pocket openings and cushion rubber size , most 6 foot come with 1and 3/4 inch balls 48 mm are 1 and 7/8th size , there are a few with 1 and 7/8th balls though , look at ebay number items 280434127027 which is a 7foot with 6 legs which is important as the span for 4 legs is too great on some tables and those middle legs stop the slate bowing or dipping in the middle , most fibre board tables are bowed . or will bow in time .
                        look also at items 170416605163 and 150397165308.

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                          Its not the size thats the issue its the quality of the balls really. Which is why I think it is best to stick to standard sizes like pub tables. For instance you could get a good set of tournament english pool balls. In the smaller obscurer sizes it gets more difficult to find quality balls.
                          I wouldn't think you'll have much problems though should be able to perform the full range of shots with any size ball, as long as they are all the same weight. A light / heavy white in particular will make it impossible to get back/top spin
                          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aramith-Premie...item414b2f4a87

Would they be a perfect set for these kind of tables ?

Comment

Originally Posted by Bono View Post
                            http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aramith-Premie...item414b2f4a87

Would they be a perfect set for these kind of tables ?
                            size of Ball would be an issue , the height of the cushion rubber dictates the size of ball , if the ball is too big it will jump up when springing back off the rubber , if too small then it will not get the full bounce out of the cushion , if it is a light chinese made ball , it will not be as easy to screw back as a full weight ball of decent make such as Aramith .
                            cushion rubber height is to the lower edge of the face rubber , this should be just above centre of ball when cloth is on .
                            Pocket openings should be enough so that a ball down the side cushion should go in and not rattle . too big a ball and it will rattle and bounce out of the opening .

Comment

Just get a second hand slatebed for under 200, wont be too hard find a slate-bed for that money
                              good luk

Comment

Working...
                              X