*For Sale* RARE Thurston Antique Billiard Table With Adamant Cushions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *For Sale* RARE Thurston Antique Billiard Table With Adamant Cushions

Hello all, i have inherited this unique Thurston table from my late grandfather and am having to sell as i simply do not have any room for it. I would love to see it go to a lovely new home where it will be appreciated.

The table is made of mahogany wood, Built circa 1891 With the Special Design Adamant Cushions ( the cushions have slate insert blocks inserted into the main body of the cushion to make them heavy and giving a more firmer cushion to bounce off )

The cover needs replacing as it has a rip (sale includes a replacement cover) but otherwise this table is in excellent condition!

Unusually this table has electric heaters fitted on its underside.

Sale also includes a 'John Bennett' Billiards Score Board, Wooden Triangle, Snooker Balls (missing black & blue ball) & 3 sets of vintage boxed super crystalate billiard balls, Green Light Canopy, 16 Snooker Cues (worth individually between £10-£20 each, some hand made), irons, brush, all rests and a wooden cue stand which seems to have some ivory detailing.

I have pictures for anyone who is interested please give me your email and i'll send them to you.

The table is in Tadworth, Surrey (10 mins off the M25 Junction 8)

Buyer would have to dismantle and arrange transportation.

I am looking for offers for the table as i am unsure of its value, i welcome anyone with any further information about this table to message me.

you could also advertise it on Preloved .
    the table is worth what people are willing to pay for it I,m afraid , but for anyone looking fo an antique table this is a good one with the slate inserts called Adamant .
    giving as good a bounce as steel block cushions .
    I expect it to fetch between £400 to £1000 with all thats in the photo , depending on two bidders getting into a fight for it .
    But the iron has to be worth at least £75 on its own if advertised on ebay so as part of the sale it is a good ploy to leave it with the table . have you a picture of the cue stand , is it a revolving type , if so then this should be sold on its own .
    the cues on the table in the photo should be sold seperatly as there is a few Hand made one's in there , you maybe surprised at what they can fetch on their own .
    if you have any books on the subject of Billiards and snooker these should also be listed sepperatly , some books can fetch hundreds but then again some are just a few quid .

oh and check those old balls if any are ivory they are worth £25 min each ball .

Table is on Eaby item number 260589601541

Geoff
    Last edited by Geoff Large; 22 April 2010, 10:02 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Thanks Geoff, the table is now on Preloved and Friday-Ad as well as Ebay

I didn't take a pic of the cue stand but i will do as i'd like your opinion as i've been told the clasps that hold the cues in place may be made of Ivory but i have no idea! It is not a revolving stand, it is just two pieces of wood screwed into the wall, top and bottom.

Unfortunately i haven't come across any Ivory Billiard balls, only super crystalate ones.

I did consider putting the cues on ebay seperately but changed my mind as i know people will ask me questions i cannot answer about them and i don't know how on earth i'd post them, lol. My grandad did have other cues of more value that we have put aside for auction, such as an old Riley cue, a PEALL record cue and Orme & Sons cue etc so we hope to get £75 + each for those more special ones.

Suzy

Comment

Hi Suzy , you could advertise the Cues on ebay and put a link to them on this forum , even though you do not know what the cues are , people will bid for them , I still think you should maximise youre selling margin and advertise the cues just leave the machine spliced to sell with table , sell the hand spliced as a job lot on ebay . and the select hand splice list sepperate

Did Grandad have any Books on billiards ? some are highly collectable .

The wall rack will prob be ivory or Bone rollers in the clips .
        worth around £20 to £40 if ivory .£10 to £20 for bone , people sometimes buy them just for the clips as they may have a more desirable rotating cue rack with clips missing .
        a rotaing cue rack will make £500 to £1500 .

oh and the other makers name on the other end cushion , this will be a firm that has Re rubbered the cushions in the past prob in the 30/40s , Thurston will be the Manufacturer though .
        Last edited by Geoff Large; 24 April 2010, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Yes i think you may be right about selling the hand made cues seperately as a job lot on ebay and just have the machine spliced ones with the table sale. I will put them on as collection only and put a link on here when its done as you suggested.

I had a look for any billiard books but no luck sadly.

Oh and thanks for the info on that other plaque, i did wonder what that was!

Comment

Got people showing interest in my grandad's table now, yay

This site & members have been very helpful!

Comment

Originally Posted by elfy View Post
              Got people showing interest in my grandad's table now, yay

This site & members have been very helpful!
              thats good , you should sell it as it is one that stands out from the rest , hope you get what you hoped for and it ends up to a person who is going to look after it . with the slate inserts it is a rare beast , I have only seen or heard of 3 includeing this one .
              there was an irish firm who did a copy , their idea was putting steel inserts just like the slate in the cushions ,conway Brothers I think , but it never took off .

if you are about when the table is dismantled just have a look at the cushions when they come off , the side you cannot see has the slate insert in , if the fitter has not seen one before and they are that rare it is possible , tell them to be carefull as the weight can catch you out , and easy drop one , it may have a rare pocket plate on , not sure but I think it was thurston who had a corner pocket that pulled out of the side cushion , but the other pin was threaded and unscrewed out of the end cushion you have to turn the whole pocket plate complete with net leather and rail anti clockwise until it unscrews .
              not saying it has these pockets on but it just may , and a fitter may pull the threaded socket out of the end cushion if he has not come across it before , I will admit many years ago it caught me out .

look on this forum and under cue's is the place to advertise the hand spliced one's , put them on ebay though with pictures of each cue . it is important to measure each one and state the lenth and weight if stamped into the shaft . also if the cue has a name plate on it say what it is .
              some cue's go for around £30 to £40 , but I have seen and sold cues for the £200 and even one at £410 .
              the peal cue if in good condition and if the right model could fetch on its own upto £150 .

But remember condition is everything to a cue collector . straightness being just as important and condition of splicing , and the name plate .
              some may not have a name plate or disc , but if in good condition and hand spliced should be worth at least £40 .
              Last edited by Geoff Large; 24 April 2010, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X