Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full size snooker table parts

Hi
    I reasently bought a full size snooker table.
    If someone on this forum can help me with parts for the table that would be great.
    I need the following.
    New velt
    rubbers
    leather corners
    corner netting
    ball rails under the netting
    netting wires

I live in South Africa thus does it need to be mailed.
    Anyone that can help would be great.
    Pieter
    Start playing snooker 1 May 2010
    Highest Break 32
    Highest Score 113
    Cue: Mastercraft.
    Cue specs 9mm Talisman soft, 18 ounce

Im sure you`ll be able to get those items locally. Try Union Billiards PO box 8470 Johannesburg, Tel 4331836 or Union Billiards PO box 3431 Durban Tel 327557.
    The accessories youll be able to fit yourself, but the rubbers, the covering of the bed and cushions of the table is best left to a trained Billiards Fitter.
    When you but cheap... You buy twice !

Comment

Originally Posted by ryanah147 View Post
      Im sure you`ll be able to get those items locally. Try Union Billiards PO box 8470 Johannesburg, Tel 4331836 or Union Billiards PO box 3431 Durban Tel 327557.
      The accessories youll be able to fit yourself, but the rubbers, the covering of the bed and cushions of the table is best left to a trained Billiards Fitter.
      Thank you I have tried them but it seems that the companies in SA
      add 15% import tax + 45% profit
      Cheaper to source the good myself and pay them to fit
      Highest Break 32
      Highest Score 113

Comment

Your country seems SA too
        Where are you from?

Comment

Originally Posted by abhi147 View Post
          Your country seems SA too
          Where are you from?
          I am from a small town called Wolseley close to Cape Touwn South Africa
          Highest Break 32
          Highest Score 113

Comment

I am with Ryanah147 on this one , there are only 3 or 4 Trade suppliers only in the UK and you are not trade so they will not supply , so you will have to go to a local company to have the work done who will also supply the items you require .
            to give you a comparisen to what the price from a company in the uk useing skilled billiard fitter would charge is below.

there are some firms who charge less for their work but a fully skilled fitter is on a decent wage and is on par with an electrician or plumber , remember that when choosing a fitter ask if they have served a certain time being trained in the skill of a Billiards fitter especialy the re rubbering part .

others charge less because they use lower priced cloth , sometimes the same brand but a lower priced option like 6811 club or even seconds which is stamped at the firm with the words SUBSTANDARD across the makers transfer .

Remember lower costs in this trade normaly = substandard cloth , cheaper cloth , chinese rubber , thin nets and leathers , cheaper chinese ball rails . and last but not least a fitter who has not been trained in all aspects of the work .

Rerubber in uk made northern rubber = £285 average price -/+ £10
            Recover 6811 tournament £365 -/+ £10
            nets leathers fitted with rails useing top quality goods £120 . -/+ £10
            Total £770 + vat £134.75 = Total £904.75p -/+ £30 to £50 depending on discounts .

If the firm can supply these same materials and have the services of a time served fitter for around the same price as the uk , then ordering materials from abroad with shipping costs and import costs at youre end , and then having them fit them would prob work out the same , remember the VAT / Tax import duty is out of firms control , its the goverment who gets that . trying to order the goods direct may save a small amount but import duty at youre end will still have to be paid .

You say you recentley aquired the table , did you errect the table youreself ?

For getting the right people in south africa to do the work contact the African Billiards and snooker Federation they may be able to help in the recomendation of a few firms .

Geoff
            Last edited by Geoff Large; 30 April 2010, 12:00 AM.
            [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Dear Geoff.

To give you an idea of cost.
              Price in SA for hainsworth smart 540GBP on ebay 205 + 50 GBP postage thats on ebay at FJ SNOOKER AND BILLIARD SUPPLIES.
              That is 285GBP difference.

I understand they must make a profit but to me that is extreamly daylight robbery.
              I will not attemp to rubber and replace the cloth bit I will fit all the rest.

The table has been sitting in storage for more that 10 years, it got some mold damage and all the metal parts have rusted away. I have restored this table to its former glory, the only parts that I have not touched were the slate barriers tops and the back parts were the rubbers glue on.

I have no idea how old this table is. Only two points that I can say.
              Under the slate barries are a Stamp with Stevenson and Son Clapham. and on the baulk end a sticker with fitted with Joe Davis Champion Cushions by Thurstons.
              Reading your past threads I recon it is from the late 70s early 80s. Dew to the fact that the base was made of pine and the showing parts made of ash. The slates does not looked warped nor does any of the barring woods below the slate. When I was finished restoring it the tabe sat true level without any shims.

I see BBBilliards can supply me with all the good, why cant I import the good and pay a fitter to come and fit it.
              How is BBBilliards product.

Regards

Pieter
              Attached Files
              Highest Break 32
              Highest Score 113

Comment

hi Pieter , the table is much older than 70s , prob around 1910/30 circa.

I have seen many a table set up by customers , believe me there is an art to doing this .Getting it level is a must before you attemt to have it recovered . packing between slate and frame is frowned upon by fitters , just make sure the leveling process is acurate before any cloth is fitted to the table .
                cloth should be attached by tacks leaving the ends slightly proud of the wood lining , this makes it easy for a fitter replaceing cloth or stretching at a later date . DO NOT LET any fit the cloth with a staple gun on the bed .
                If you can get the materials from a UK firm at a good price then all good they should deduct UK vat as it is being exported , if so I agree go for it , just make sure you are aware of the quality of goods , there is many differant grades of cloth .6811 has 2 grade's , club and tournement .
                You will have to pay shipping and import duty at youre end .

All I am saying is do the maths , it may be more expensive than you think . if a cloth or rubber is badly fitted then it is more expensive to get someone in to sort it , sometinmes the rubbers are scrapped and new ones have to be bought , make sure youre fitter is fully qualified . NORTHERN RUBBER is the make to go for made in Retfod in the uk .
                Not much history on W stevens and sons exist apart from John Bennet & sons buying them out , youre best bet is to private message 100-upper . somehow he can usualy give a history of any firm .
                At sometime the cushions have been rerubbered , the Joe davies Thurston badge has been put on when this was done .
                Scoth pine inner frames with veneer is the norm in victorian and edwardian tables many where produced like this . although many where also produce fully hard wood .

Just noticed from the photo that the cushion bolt holes are slotted , the slates are not original to these cushions if that has been done , looks like 1970 onwards italian slates have been fitted at a later date , and some of the bounce off the cushion will not be as good if they where just perfect bolt holes . Suggest you slightly rebate route tham out a bit and insert a good thick metal plate/washer to stiffen them up for a tight fixing to the slate bed .
                Slides in the cushions in place of buttons point to the table being 1920,30s .

Geoff
                Last edited by Geoff Large; 30 April 2010, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by coveg View Post
                  Dear Geoff.

I have no idea how old this table is. Only two points that I can say.
                  Under the slate barries are a Stamp with Stevenson and Son Clapham. and on the baulk end a sticker with fitted with Joe Davis Champion Cushions by Thurstons.

Pieter
                  Stevens & Sons were established 1830 and in their early days the manufacturing took place at Lambeth. First reference to their works being at Clapham Junction follows a fire at their Villiers Street premises in 1873 which at that time had both showrooms and manufacturing at the same premises.

There is not much to go on from your stamp. Their advertised address was always the showroom(s) not the works, so although the showrooms moved around a bit there is little published information to say how long the works were located at Clapham.

One clue could be the initial of the maker. Although most pieces are marked "Stevens & Sons" some also have "R Stevens" and others "W Stevens". The first of these styles appears after the dissolution of the partnership in 1889 and the latter first appears immediately after the first war, in the 1920s.

If you have neither of these I would suggest that it is most probably pre-1914 when it is likely the works were still at this location. After the War the business moved to Acton and with the change of name coming in at this time, it is likely that the whole business was moved, although I can't say this for sure. The style suggests to me it is not much earlier that 1914, and probably Edwardian rather than late Victorian.

The cushion mark is much later, probably c.1960. Although Thurston's were established in Cape Town from about 1896, the Joe Davis connection comes from his son Derrick who he took out there to join the firm in 1951. Davis Jnr. started in the workshop to learn the trade and had established himself as Director and Manager by 1973. I'm sure his introduction to Thurston would have been accompanied by a licence to trade with the "Joe Davis" name.
                  Last edited by 100-uper; 30 April 2010, 12:32 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

steel block cushions

Does anyone Know how much it would be to get some second hand steel block cushions and were is the best place.

Thanks alot

Comment

Originally Posted by hunty147 View Post
                      Does anyone Know how much it would be to get some second hand steel block cushions and were is the best place.

Thanks alot
                      some on ebay item number 280478712054 , but make sure they come with pocket plates with all bolts if bolted type and frieze bolts for surround wood ,to bolt to steels .

Take note that some minor drilling will have to be done if these are 6 bolt hole all the way around , if fitting to an older table which has 5 bolt holes .

make sure slate is not metric or they will not fit .
                      144 inch by 73.5 inch wide is the normal measurment for steels . anything larger or smaller and they will not fit . corner pockets will not be right .
                      Last edited by Geoff Large; 1 May 2010, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks mate for the information. The item number you gave me was for a toy train set lol. Had a look though and found it so thanks very much.

Comment

Originally Posted by hunty147 View Post
                          Thanks mate for the information. The item number you gave me was for a toy train set lol. Had a look though and found it so thanks very much.
                          LOL I got one digit wrong a 7 should have been a 9 .

item 280498712054

could have set the train set up on the table though ?
                          Last edited by Geoff Large; 1 May 2010, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I believe Steve Baillie has some. You can contact him through the Scottish Snooker web site.
                            Regards Roy

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
                              Stevens & Sons were established 1830 and in their early days the manufacturing took place at Lambeth. First reference to their works being at Clapham Junction follows a fire at their Villiers Street premises in 1873 which at that time had both showrooms and manufacturing at the same premises.

There is not much to go on from your stamp. Their advertised address was always the showroom(s) not the works, so although the showrooms moved around a bit there is little published information to say how long the works were located at Clapham.

One clue could be the initial of the maker. Although most pieces are marked "Stevens & Sons" some also have "R Stevens" and others "W Stevens". The first of these styles appears after the dissolution of the partnership in 1889 and the latter first appears immediately after the first war, in the 1920s.

If you have neither of these I would suggest that it is most probably pre-1914 when it is likely the works were still at this location. After the War the business moved to Acton and with the change of name coming in at this time, it is likely that the whole business was moved, although I can't say this for sure. The style suggests to me it is not much earlier that 1914, and probably Edwardian rather than late Victorian.

The cushion mark is much later, probably c.1960. Although Thurston's were established in Cape Town from about 1896, the Joe Davis connection comes from his son Derrick who he took out there to join the firm in 1951. Davis Jnr. started in the workshop to learn the trade and had established himself as Director and Manager by 1973. I'm sure his introduction to Thurston would have been accompanied by a licence to trade with the "Joe Davis" name.
                              Thank you for your info and time, You have given me very helpfull info
                              Highest Break 32
                              Highest Score 113

Comment

Working...
                              X