Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full size STAR Match table

Hi guys
    Does any1 no where to get the same table as the crucible (Star match table) From,
    With steel block cushions and real tight pockets??

Thank's

Thomas
    Highest Break in Match Practice: 126
    Highest Break in Individual Practice: 147 (Line-up).
    Highest Break in an Event: 80

Hi Thomas. They're advertising in my World Championship programme for 2010. The address given is in Bristol. Can type out full address if you want but the e-mail given is enq@world-snooker.co.uk

Comment

Have you got £8000.00 going spare Thomas ? i believe that they are around this amount !
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

http://www.world-snooker.co.uk/Catal...=195&listpage=

yep, £8000

Comment

Originally Posted by Thomas Mcleod View Post
          Hi guys
          Does any1 no where to get the same table as the crucible (Star match table) From,
          With steel block cushions and real tight pockets??

Thank's

Thomas
          Thomas

There are plenty of steel block tournement tables around , such as Rileys and the older Antique Burroughs and watts , spending £8000 on a new Steel Block cushioned table , when you could get a riley Aristocrat for around £2500 on ebay is the way to go . Match pocket tightness is down to the Fitter who cuts the rubber so a rerubber and recover is all thats required to bring most tables upto TV standard play.

the only reason I think you may be enquiring about the star table is down to stardom syndrome , where if a keen player see's a profesional in a certain make of sports wear then theve got to have it .

a bit like adidas or Puma football boots , players have got to have them because profesionals are useing them . same with certain cue makers etc .

Remember it's not what you wear or play with , its the Talent within youreself thats the main thing .

what I want to know never mind £8000 for a new table , have you got the £20,000 to £30,000 maybe even £40,000 for an extension or outside building to put it in , forget that last comment if you allready have a room .

personaly looking at the star tables on TV , I found them pretty basic in finnish , the polish was not very good , also the wood was not sanded smooth before polishing finnish was applied one table having a bad fault in the finnish at the left spot end , also cushions looked like a coragated tin roof when the light hit them , and at certain camera angle .
          And also Very Surprised to see a gap under some of the cushions ,on the TV tables .
          Also the strip of cloth in the centre pockets cut back at an angle to protect the end of cushion against ball wear , was split , maybe they should have sanded the pointed edge of that cushion end with a rounded edge to prevent splitting cloth wear ?
          as for the readed legs , I do not like them and why spray gold paint over Mahogany wood ?
          Last edited by Geoff Large; 8 May 2010, 08:09 PM.
          [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

I agree 100% Geoff. Your estimate is not far off re building a billiard room as I have mine nearly finished.
            I have bought an old Burroughes and Watts table with steels and 2 inch slates.It has at sometime been re polished and is in very good condition. A good fitter as you say can make the playing area any speck you want . The end product is as good a table as you can get. Tables last forever so why not have an antique that looks fantastic.
            It will always be worth good money unlike recent tables which can be found anywhere for next to nothing.
            It could be up and running for half of the £8000 mentioned above.
            Roy Bacon

Comment

Hi Roy , nice to hear you got a B&W antique table with steels ,GOOD investment as they get harder to locate , the only thing with the older Antique tables is the pocket plates are not to modern spec , so you may experience bounce back from the plates as the ball hits the leather at full speed , more so on the middle pocket plates .

It is a combination of thinner wood surround cappings and flat faced pocket plates .

As modern tables where introduced they where based upon the faster game of snooker , Surround Capping wood got wider , pocket plates where moved further back from the slate fall , and they where angled for the ball to deflect downwards .

But even modern tables are still a BILLIARD TABLE and snooker is a later game played on a BILLIARD TABLE .
              I get asked many times what is the differance between a Snooker table and a Billiards table , I always reply , there is no such thing as a Snooker table , but a Billiard table has been altered in design SLIGHTLY over the years to make playing snooker at a fast and Furious speed into pocket , unlike the gentle strokes of billiards .

Modern Brass pocket plates ( pocket irons as some call them in the USA and Canada ) allow for the fast and furious snooker player , but when youre table was built it would be gentle billiard strokes .

But having said this , I would not alter a table I owned to modern plates , it would be like replaceing old chrome wire wheels on a classic MG with modern alloys .

Geoff
              [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Hi Geoff,thanks for that. My table has conventional pockets,(not top plates) which some of the older tables have. I would not want that. It has nets which I am changing for runners with the top pocket runners running along the top cushion. Unusual I know but I only play billiards and this will save a lot of effort at the Top of the Table.
                The rests will be on the wall,one in each corner. The roof went on today so I expect to have the table (which I have in storage with the fitter) installed in about 3-4 weeks.
                I at present spend about £4500 PA on practice so should break even in about 9 years.
                Sorry to go on but it is exciting.
                Regards Roy Bacon

Comment

Originally Posted by roykay View Post
                  I agree 100% Geoff. Your estimate is not far off re building a billiard room as I have mine nearly finished.
                  I have bought an old Burroughes and Watts table with steels and 2 inch slates.It has at sometime been re polished and is in very good condition. A good fitter as you say can make the playing area any speck you want . The end product is as good a table as you can get. Tables last forever so why not have an antique that looks fantastic.
                  It will always be worth good money unlike recent tables which can be found anywhere for next to nothing.
                  It could be up and running for half of the £8000 mentioned above.
                  Roy Bacon
                  I no u from ssl roy lol

Comment

Hi Thomas, please introduce yourself next time you see me. You are welcome to see my table,it should be up by the end of May / beginning of June,might help you to decide what to do.
                    Regards Roy Bacon

Comment

If you're going to get a new table, I'd get a Riley Aristocrat. They're better quality than STAR tables.

STAR tables are prone to a lot of strange bounces (as seen at this year's WC).

World Snooker did the deal because they can get them a lot cheaper now with all their contacts in China. NOT because they are better than the Riley.

Comment

Got one!!

I found one anyway m8,

http://www.roksportsnooker.co.uk/aca...ker_Table.html

Comment

Originally Posted by Thomas Mcleod View Post
                          Let me know when its up and ready and i will pick the balls out for you

147 line up , very impressive Thomas . Keep us updated on your progress .
                          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by roykay View Post
                            Hi Thomas, please introduce yourself next time you see me. You are welcome to see my table,it should be up by the end of May / beginning of June,might help you to decide what to do.
                            Regards Roy Bacon
                            Hi Roy, just wondering if you have any photos of you new room.
                            Cheers

Comment

if u want a tournament specs riley give me a bell ill point you in the right direction ive got one myself

Comment

Working...
                              X