Re-positioning a table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-positioning a table

I have a full size Karnham Hillman snooker table that I want moved about 900mm (3') towards one end of the room. Is this a job I could do myself using jacks and rollers (I have access to plant and machinery) or should I get in a professional to 'do it properly'?

If I need to get in a pro, where do I find one? I am based in Buckinghamshire and Karnham Hillman (who were in Windsor/Slough) no longer exist.

All suggestions welcome

Jerry

Originally Posted by That should have gone in View Post
    I have a full size Karnham Hillman snooker table that I want moved about 900mm (3') towards one end of the room. Is this a job I could do myself using jacks and rollers (I have access to plant and machinery) or should I get in a professional to 'do it properly'?

If I need to get in a pro, where do I find one? I am based in Buckinghamshire and Karnham Hillman (who were in Windsor/Slough) no longer exist.

All suggestions welcome

Jerry
    Hi Jerry

You can seriously damage or upset the level of slate joints if you push the table across the floor , some do it with beer trays positioned under each leg , you should realy get a fitter in who could prob move it an inch at a time with the right equipment , until in position , at the same time making sure the packing levelers under each leg is moved with it , then a Final level when in its postion will be required , with an engineers level not a builders level .

Some tables have dowled joints in the legs between the carved turned lover part and the Square block at the top of the leg , this point is very suspect to the glue drying out and can break at this point , the result could be very serious , with limbs trapped under the frame or worse still some one's head or chest .
    Remember there is a ton of slate on top of the frame

what part of Buckinghamshire are you from ?

is youre table due for a recover or stretch ? I ask this because it is sometimes usefull to have the bed cloth off when moving a table , even if it is only 3 inch , this way you can see what is happening to the slate joints . any upwards movement of any filler in the slate joint can then be put right , if the cloth is left on , there may be a lump or divet or both under it at this point or just out of true joints and the cloth will have to come off to resolve it .
    I have seen this done many times , either by owners themselves having a go , or shall we say fitter who has no pride in his work .
    Last edited by Geoff Large; 28 May 2010, 11:29 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

I've only moved a 4 x 8 table and used scissor jacks to raise the table (one end at a time). I put dollies (a metal plate with 4 wheels, about 8 x 8 inches) under each leg and then slid the table into place. In Canada it was a snow mobile dollies I purchased. Also levelled the table using the scissor jacks and levels.

Make absolute sure you are jacking the support frame (the structure that supports the slates) and never try lifting the table by the rails which would rip right off. Check with the manufacturer where the support are. Do your research on the table before you attemp this. Like I said I've only done this with a 4 x 8 with 4 legs and not sure how this would work with a 12 footer with more legs and of course a professional installer is the way to go (but I'm cheap and didn't want to pay a pro and took notes when the original installer did his work).

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am now not going to attempt to move it myself. To ruin a lovely table like this would be to upsetting. Does £700 sound fair to reposition and re-cover this table (inc re-cover cushions)?

It sounds a lot to me but it will at least be where I want it and will look brand new again.

Is this a fair price do you think?

Can anyone recommend a good fitter?

I am near High Wycombe by the way.

Comment

Originally Posted by kgene View Post
          I've only moved a 4 x 8 table and used scissor jacks to raise the table (one end at a time). I put dollies (a metal plate with 4 wheels, about 8 x 8 inches) under each leg and then slid the table into place. In Canada it was a snow mobile dollies I purchased. Also levelled the table using the scissor jacks and levels.

Make absolute sure you are jacking the support frame (the structure that supports the slates) and never try lifting the table by the rails which would rip right off. Check with the manufacturer where the support are. Do your research on the table before you attemp this. Like I said I've only done this with a 4 x 8 with 4 legs and not sure how this would work with a 12 footer with more legs and of course a professional installer is the way to go (but I'm cheap and didn't want to pay a pro and took notes when the original installer did his work).
          most 8 x 4 tables in the uk are one piece slate , there are three and two piece slate beds 8 x 4 tables , but the slate is much thinner , attempting to jack and move a Full sized table is much harder , jacking up to a clearance to insert dollies under the legs WILL damage slate joints
          there are many points on a full size that you will damage a table if you jack it up , there are only two bits of wood that a jack can be put under on a full size and that is the outside frame , the long sides , between the legs on each side that is .

Jacking at the ends of the frame will lift the end slate up and pinch the slate joints together resulting in chipped joints .

lifting by the cushions and you will just leave the frame behind and cause a lot of Damage .

Get a Time served qualified billiard fitter in , it will cost you a bit more , and most are resonable with costing , but if you damage it will cost a lot more to put right .
          at the end of the Day it is peace of mind and knowing no one is going to get injured that you are paying for .
          Last edited by Geoff Large; 28 May 2010, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by That should have gone in View Post
            Thanks for the replies. I am now not going to attempt to move it myself. To ruin a lovely table like this would be to upsetting. Does £700 sound fair to reposition and re-cover this table (inc re-cover cushions)?

It sounds a lot to me but it will at least be where I want it and will look brand new again.

Is this a fair price do you think?

Can anyone recommend a good fitter?

I am near High Wycombe by the way.
            Depends on type of cloth used and if they are going to take the slates off , but for three inch they should be able to shuffle the table over 1 inch at a time , what is the floor covering , wood or carpet , or stone etc ? , private message me .
            it is far easier if the cloth is coming off , as I said the slate joints are visable , and the table is leveled before any recover and bed made good .
            looks like a quote with two men rather than just one with slates coming off .
            Last edited by Geoff Large; 29 May 2010, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Geoff Large, I think you will find he would like the table to be moved 3 feet, not 3 inches. Hope you do not mind me pointing ths out.
              :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
                Geoff Large, I think you will find he would like the table to be moved 3 feet, not 3 inches. Hope you do not mind me pointing ths out.
                :snooker:
                many thanks on my mistake , I quickly read opening post and mistook it for 3 inch ...lol

The slates will almost definatley have to come off for three foot , depending on type of floor the table is on and equipment being used .

contact me by email c.large@btinternet.com

I am sure I could have a word with work and maybe fit this in when we are in the london area .
                you have just missed me , I was in Pinner and stayed overnight at Watford last week .
                Last edited by Geoff Large; 29 May 2010, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I've just had a close look at the cloth on my table and it could do with being replaced to be honest. There are several divets from mis-cueing and tram lines into all the pockets. I have had a quote of £600 all in, inc recovering the cushions. This is to move the table and recover it using Strachan 6811 Tournament cloth. Is this a good cloth?

Geoff, I'll email you.

Comment

Oh, forgot to say, the floor is Heuga carpet tiles on a concrete floor (ground floor).

Comment

yes strachan 6811 tournament and Hainsworth smart is a good cloth , either of these are high end cloths .

only no10 strachan and hainsworth match are better as used on TV , but for long lasting the others are better .

are carpet tiles cutt around legs or has table been set up on top of them without any cutting .
                      if cutt you may have to move a few carpet tiles and have some spare one's handy .
                      Last edited by Geoff Large; 29 May 2010, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Table is set up on top of the carpet tiles. These are hard tiles and don't seem to compress.

Comment

Working...
                        X