BCE molded pocket leathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCE molded pocket leathers

I've got a BCE Westbury steelblock fullzise table. Since there were some cracks in the old leathers I thought I'd install new ones. However, the new ones are sticking out (aren't flush with the wood) I can't seem to figure out how to upload a picture so I'll just refer to one I put on the AZB forum

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=190189

There has got to be a trick to installing these things right. Any of you installers that can tell me how to get them correct?

Thanks a bunch!

Originally Posted by drsnooker View Post
    I've got a BCE Westbury steelblock fullzise table. Since there were some cracks in the old leathers I thought I'd install new ones. However, the new ones are sticking out (aren't flush with the wood) I can't seem to figure out how to upload a picture so I'll just refer to one I put on the AZB forum

There has got to be a trick to installing these things right. Any of you installers that can tell me how to get them correct?

Thanks a bunch!
    BCE leathers never fitted correctly , the first design batch which where a tan colour fitted better but where very thin and wore out very quick , the second design which is youre leather is too thick to form itself correctly at the edge of the plate as in youre photo , you could soak them or steam them to see if they shrink onto the plate better .

Geoff
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Do you think I should sand down the sides and top to thin them out a little?

Comment

Do you think I should sand down the sides and top to thin them out a little?
        never heard of anyone trying this , the problem is the pockets are designed with an end tab ( we in the trade call them mickey mouse ear leathers ) with holes in that slides over the pocket plate protruding lugs then it is sewn into place onto the plate , they could not get the leather to form correctly unless it was thin , the leather you have is very thick .

you have a choice , use thin leather and replace often in some cases every couple of weeks to a month if table is used often , or use thick leather they will last but you get the unsightley folds .

as far as I know BCE stopped useing the thin tan coloured leather because they got so many complaints that they only lasted a few weeks . so they do not make them anymore , unless someone else makes them ?

I do not use the BCE leathers , prefering to use Pereden extra broad bow standard moulded leathers over hang cutt by 1/8th each side so that they take up the gap left by the allowance of the over hang side tabs of bce leathers .
        Dark leathers look best on the BCE plate due to the plate being near the top of the cushion surround capping , this was for those thin leathers , useing the thick ones , tend to make for the leather to be proud of the plate and cushion suround , unless the holes in the cushions are plugged and redrilled a little lower they always look unsightly .

But most put up with it in clubs , but understand why a private person would want perfection on his own table .

Comment

Thanks. I wish I had known that before I spend $100 on them....
          Can you recommend an online retailer where I can buy the leathers you suggest?

Comment

i've got some of the brown b.c.e. leathers in very good shape as i remember,let me know ,i can dig them out.

Comment

rodandreel,

I'd be interested if you have a spare set. Do you stock them or are these a spare set from an old table?

thanks,
              Jono

Comment

i;m gonna see how many i have,they are used but good shape i will check them today

Comment

BCE Pocket leathers

Thanks a bunch!
                  In addition to Geoff`s contribution re soaking/steaming... When they are pliable, get a leather punch and punch 2 holes at each end of the leather (inside and outside) next to the existing holes, then thread a piece of cord through the end holes and pull tightly and knot. This will gather up the slack. If nothing else solves the problem try this, it should work.
                  When you but cheap... You buy twice !

Comment

I'd definitely want the dark leather ones. Call me old fashioned, but I find the bright leather a bit distracting. Name your price Rod&Reel or email me at the same username at yahoo dot com.

I'll try the soak (even boil perhaps) on the leather after the US championship. Need as much practice time as I can find right now.

Comment

I'd definitely want the dark leather ones. Call me old fashioned, but I find the bright leather a bit distracting. Name your price Rod&Reel or email me at the same username at yahoo dot com.

I'll try the soak (even boil perhaps) on the leather after the US championship. Need as much practice time as I can find right now.

Be careful that you dont put the leathers in boiling water, they`ll go rock hard
                      When you but cheap... You buy twice !

Comment

Hi i have the exact same table and i also did the leathers pockets. Personally like the the light coloured ones which is what i bought.

the company is located in montreal, Quebec Canada and its called

http://www.canadabillard.com/

these pockets do not have the BCE name on it, as my guess is they just get some local leather guy to do them up. You have to fax the sales rep a traced pattern of the iron thingy from the pocket. Mine fit pretty good. i had to shave a bit off but they look good. Terry Davidson has a BCE Westbury so maybe ask him as well

Comment

the extra holes as ryan147 stated could be good,but if the pocket brass plate is close or flush with the edge of the table then it will probably stick out. i seen them stick out with no leather on yet!
                          but if its brown you want ,if mine are good you can have them not for much.
                          when the leather is thin you could glue an extra layer on the brass plate on top and around the lip of plate (where the ball cuts it) make slashes and fold around ,then install leather cover piece ,i tried it on thin leaters and they never cut.
                          i'll contact you

Comment

Thanks Doggy. I'll await Rod&reel then contact those guys.

Comment

If you want Dark leathers then stain the light coloured ones and then seal with wax polish and buff up .

Comment

Working...
                              X