Absolute minimum room size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolute minimum room size?

Sorry, I know this may have been asked many times before, but I have been surfing the net as well as searching this site and it seems there are some variations in the replies given.

Is there anyone who has a full size snooker table squeezed into a room who can give me an indication as to minimum room size required.

I have a room 21x15 feet (655 x 472 centimetres) and have the opportunity to buy a disassembled (but complete) table at a bargain price, so I am seriously tempted.

Would it fit?

If you think about it the playing surface is slightly smaller than 6' x 12' but then again you need about an extra 6" for backswing when playong off the cushion. Your cue would be just under 5' long.

Generally, the minimum size is to add 10' to the 6' x 12' to make it 16' x 22', so you're close but not quite there. The normal solution in these cases is to have a shortened cue, at about 50" just to play shots off the cushion and in your case it will be the side cushions and the cueball does end up there quite often, but then again off the cushion you're not going to do anything exotic (hopefully) and just roll the ball in with no huge backswing.

Go for it and then get a junker cue and cut about 7" off it (the shaft) and re-shape the shaft and I think you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of your table

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks Terry, much appreciated. Against the cushion shots is my absolute worst nightmare and I tend to lift the butt up in any event to make sure that I can at least strike the ball without duffing it. Playing a plain roll-through shot off the cushion is about all I can muster in any event, so I think that it will be worth my while getting this table and the shortened cue as suggested.

A smaller table (3/4) will fit better, but is not going to help improve my game.

By the way, I met South African snooker legend Pierre (Perrie) Mans today. What a wonderful person. Took the time to chat to me and tell me some very entertaining stories of his snooker exploits. Even gave my old cue a roll and immediately identified the point where it is bent. I feel inspired anew

Comment

Hi,the minimum size is 22 X 16 feet. My room is a couple of inches longer than this. It would seem that you are going to be about 6" too tight all round but you will be OK 95 per cent of the time.For me it would be much better than no table.
        Good luck with it.
        Roy Bacon

Comment

Roy:

Did you play on the pro-am circuit during the late 80's? I seem to remember your name from that time although I guess Bacon would be quite a common name.

Terry
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Yes Terry,early 80's but went on to billiards from mid 80's onwards.
            Seem to remember your name as well.
            Regards Roy

Comment

One option is to offset the table so you only need the shorty to shoot off the top And one side

Comment

Thanks to your kind contributions the decision has been made and the table has been bought.

As Roykay says, 95% of the time it would be fine which is much better than having no table at all.

I can't wait :snooker:

Comment

Installed the table this weekend. What a mission. Started at 8am by fetching the table and only finished assembling it at 9.30 pm at my place. Table has been dissasembled for many years and in some instances we had to quickly rush off to the hardware for some planks, bolts, washers, etc.

You do not know what is heavy until you have carried those slate sections

Observing first-hand I now have a lot of respect for the professional fitters. They really know their stuff and the precision with which they work is incredible (balancing the table, re-covering the cushions, putting on the cloth, etc).

Next day I was by myself and started with fitting the light canopy - took me half a day. What an awkward contraption to try and manhandle.

Anyhow - now the proud owner of a full size table and enjoying it immensely.

Room dimensions worked out fine and it is only when the ball is tight on the cushion on the side rails where I do not have enough room for a long backswing - simply cured by raising the butt a little

Comment

Please take a few Photos for us all to drool over

Comment

Working...
                    X