Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talking club into fixing up the table...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talking club into fixing up the table...

Ok, so basically, what our club needs primarily are new cushions;

the balls actually jump off the top cushion sometimes when played into them, apparently this is because tehy are not steel block cushions, but i know other tables that dont have steel block cushions and they never have this problem...the balls jump off the cushions very regularly. apparently someone has looked at the cushions to find they are too low down causing the balls to jump, but again, they never used to jump so unless the cushions have sagged (unlikely) then yeah...im not sure...

The table also needs reclothing but not too serious...but the main two things is a new light (preferably the LED lights) and new cushions

does anyone know where we can get the cheapest deal on such items? it has to be done on the very cheap side but it really needs fixing...the cushions especially, and hopefully when they re-do the cushions they will get the cut of the pockets fixed properly as the cut of them at the moment is completely wrong with all 6 pockets being different sizes!

if i can get a decent price im going to put a letter intot he committee to get it sorted..i think the table is currently managed by Titan but IMO they are obviously useless as we have called their engineer out to have a look at the top pockets a couple of times and they have said they are fine yet they are obviously not as everybody complains about them and dont complain about any other table..not to mention the fact you can visibly see the cut isnt right and you cant fit your hand in the top pockets where you can in the baulk end pockets lol so obviously there not even..

a club near mine has used thames valley snooker company and they have done the pockets absoloutely superb, there tight enough to make it tricky yet fair enough to make it fun...

any ideas anyone?

cheers!
    what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

New cushions will cost you around £300-400.

Decent light is about £100

Comment

Luke , try Allied Billiards . They seem to do a few clubs in the area . Or Kent & sussex billiards .

Also , my mates and i have joined a new club and our cushions are not good . So we are going to write a letter to the committee and suggest that we make a donation of £25-30 each [ 10 of us , play in 3 different teams ] to assist in the cost of new cushions and pockets .

If you offered something to your club between the team players , it may well help .
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I am sure Geoff Large can advise on the best course of action.

Comment

Originally Posted by Luke Hooper View Post
          Ok, so basically, what our club needs primarily are new cushions;

the balls actually jump off the top cushion sometimes when played into them, apparently this is because tehy are not steel block cushions, but i know other tables that dont have steel block cushions and they never have this problem...the balls jump off the cushions very regularly. apparently someone has looked at the cushions to find they are too low down causing the balls to jump, but again, they never used to jump so unless the cushions have sagged (unlikely) then yeah...im not sure...

The table also needs reclothing but not too serious...but the main two things is a new light (preferably the LED lights) and new cushions

does anyone know where we can get the cheapest deal on such items? it has to be done on the very cheap side but it really needs fixing...the cushions especially, and hopefully when they re-do the cushions they will get the cut of the pockets fixed properly as the cut of them at the moment is completely wrong with all 6 pockets being different sizes!

if i can get a decent price im going to put a letter intot he committee to get it sorted..i think the table is currently managed by Titan but IMO they are obviously useless as we have called their engineer out to have a look at the top pockets a couple of times and they have said they are fine yet they are obviously not as everybody complains about them and dont complain about any other table..not to mention the fact you can visibly see the cut isnt right and you cant fit your hand in the top pockets where you can in the baulk end pockets lol so obviously there not even..

a club near mine has used thames valley snooker company and they have done the pockets absoloutely superb, there tight enough to make it tricky yet fair enough to make it fun...

any ideas anyone?

cheers!
          Balls jumping up off cushions can be many things , the rubber is coming to its life end and is hardening up , the cloth they are covered in is thinner than what has been used in the past therfore slightley lower cushion than before .
          Grease and sweat build up on nose of cushion . or rubber dtached from block .

a quick fix if thinner cloth used is to fasten a small strip of cloth under the cushion and refix cushion back on the table .

you can equal the pockets out if they are only slightley out , by slackening the end cushions off and if there is slight play in the bolt hole you can move the cushion upto 1/8th left or right , use the end bolts only to nip up then re measure , if they are both the same then tighten all bolts back up .

I am sorry to say there is no such thing as a Cheap good job , you have to pay for experience or you may get a COWBOY job , you have to pay the going rate , you may save upto 5% if you are having the full works done of rerubber /recover / nets and leathers etc

going rates are as follows

Recover £385 + vat 6811 tournement or hainsworth smart
          Rerubber £366 + vat northern rubber Uk made
          nets and leathers fitted good quality £90 + vat

all price + / - 5% depending of Firm used .

you could save on vat if the fitter is none vat registered .

make sure any quote is like for like in the materials used , there are 3 types of 6811 , tournament = blue thread on edge / club red thread on edge / and reject substandard red or blue but printed substandard on edge .

Club is around £20 lower in price than tournmament , reject is faulty cloth that they have decided to sell at a lower price and will have Substandard printed on one edge . and should be around £40 lower in price than club .

Just recentley 6811 tournament has been supplied to us as perfect but we have been experiencing white flecks of poly sacking thread in the weave .
          so I would recoemnd Hainsworth smart .

I think the hainsworth match and no10 strachan cloths are toothin for club use and will not last long . also it cost is much higher .

Geoff
          [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

geoff:

Thanks again for adding to my knowledge as i didn't know there were different types of 6811. Although we only get the Gold here I haven't checked at all to look for red or blue printing on the edge.

I have a 6811 on my home table now and I have noticed a few small flecks of white in the cloth although there are not many and they are not off-putting at all. Anyway, this 6811 is getting a little worn around the spots and pockets so it will be replaced shortly with a #10

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              geoff:

Thanks again for adding to my knowledge as i didn't know there were different types of 6811. Although we only get the Gold here I haven't checked at all to look for red or blue printing on the edge.

I have a 6811 on my home table now and I have noticed a few small flecks of white in the cloth although there are not many and they are not off-putting at all. Anyway, this 6811 is getting a little worn around the spots and pockets so it will be replaced shortly with a #10

Terry
              hi Terry , Gold and silver has been renamed around 3 years ago to tournament and Club , so gold and silver are now not made .it is the two lines on the side that are colour coded not the lettering , red for Club , blue for tournament .
              they always mark reject cloth as substandard .

Comment

geoff:

Now for my next stupid question...once a table has been fitted is there any way to tell by touching or looking if a 6811 is tournament or club (besides getting a flashlight and trying to see the edge of the cloth underneath the side cushions)?

Does the tournament have a finer or shorter nap? We have some club tables here fitted with both #10 and 6811 but it's only when you play on one of the #10's that you notice the difference. The 6811's seem slower in comparison.

Terry
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

If you restretch a 6811 within the first month you will be amazed at how much it has slackened off , no10 is a very short nap and will be fast but life span is very short , unless championship snooker is being played on it then a waste of money .

I could guess on say 7/10 which is 6811 and smart , but if a cloth is badley maintained is is almost impossible to tell by touch or sight .
                  to be 100% sure get on yer knees and look at the edge of the cloth , look for xxxx in the writing this is smart , blue thread gold writing is 6811 T , red thread white/silver writing is 6811 club .
                  very fine nap newish cloth is going to be no 10 strachan or Hiansworth Match .

Comment

Working...
                  X