Sotheby's Auction Sale at Chatsworth - Billiards Table etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sotheby's Auction Sale at Chatsworth - Billiards Table etc

Members might be interested in three auction lots that were sold earlier this month by Sotheby's at their "Chatsworth Attic Sale" that was held 5th to 7th October 2010. Full details are available on the Sotheby's website http://www.sothebys.com but in summary

Lot 702 - Orme table c1890 - guide price £5-7,000 - sold for £21,250 - see photo on website - of particular interest to many here will be the ball return rails - the zoom function on the web site allows a pretty close look at the rails.

Lot 703 - Billiard Room Equipment - scoreboard, cue stands plus c20 cues and some balls - guide price £2-3,000 - sold for £8,750

Lot 704 - George IV Mahogany bench (c1825) - Guide Price £200-£300 - sold for £4,375 - quite a result considering the condition report describes as follows "one arm missing - upholstery in tatters - dirty and stained finish to timber".

So all in all quite a result - cumulative guide for these three Lots was £7,200 to £10,300 - Price achieved in total was £34,375 !!!

I suspect the history of these pieces having being in Chatsworth House is the primary reason for the prices. The return ball rails are certainly pretty rare and who knows what the 20 cues comprise. I suspect if all three lots were comprehensively refurbished and were repackaged and sold as a single lot this might attract some special interest because of the provenance - overseas buyers would lap it up I think.

Would have been fascinating to have been in the room on the day.

the table has been rerubbered in the past by burroughs and watts ,it and has an arrowflight cushion plaque on one end cushion , the maker is orme ans sons , Burroughs and watts may then have fitted the outer frame hung ball return system to the table at time of rerubber .
    I do not think orme and sons ever had a ball return system .
    the prices achieved especialy for the scoreboard and cue racks are a little over their worth , I too agree and suspect the bidders just went for it and got carried away as a piece of Chatsworth history

it will be interesting to find out where they resurface in the world ?
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

all the prices in that sale are crazy!
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by DougBurwatt View Post
        Members might be interested in three auction lots that were sold earlier this month by Sotheby's at their "Chatsworth Attic Sale" that was held 5th to 7th October 2010. Full details are available on the Sotheby's website http://www.sothebys.com but in summary

Lot 702 - Orme table c1890 - guide price £5-7,000 - sold for £21,250 - see photo on website - of particular interest to many here will be the ball return rails - the zoom function on the web site allows a pretty close look at the rails.

Lot 703 - Billiard Room Equipment - scoreboard, cue stands plus c20 cues and some balls - guide price £2-3,000 - sold for £8,750

Lot 704 - George IV Mahogany bench (c1825) - Guide Price £200-£300 - sold for £4,375 - quite a result considering the condition report describes as follows "one arm missing - upholstery in tatters - dirty and stained finish to timber".

So all in all quite a result - cumulative guide for these three Lots was £7,200 to £10,300 - Price achieved in total was £34,375 !!!

I suspect the history of these pieces having being in Chatsworth House is the primary reason for the prices. The return ball rails are certainly pretty rare and who knows what the 20 cues comprise. I suspect if all three lots were comprehensively refurbished and were repackaged and sold as a single lot this might attract some special interest because of the provenance - overseas buyers would lap it up I think.

Would have been fascinating to have been in the room on the day.
        Did they sell the Orme table that was in the billiards room, or the unused one still in the box in the cellar? Surely that would be worth more

Comment

Working...
        X