No announcement yet.

Antique cast iron billiard table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To expand a little more on the subject of Cast Iron tables by Harris of Dublin and London. Harris was taken over by Burroughes & Watts in 1929. Harris`s tables were mostly cast iron with with a 5 slate top, and still to this day there are quite a few of them peppered around Ireland. Harris also made wooden framed tables, and like their cast iron counterparts are still in abundance in CYMS clubs and Community Halls in the Republic.
    One table by Harris which I came across in 1979 had a 4 part 1" thick cast iron bed with a 2" honeycomb inner supporting cast iron frame which slotted into the `frame proper`. Each of the 4 sections weighed in excess of 250kgs, and when finally slotted in place were bolted together to insure absloute rigidity. The overlap of the 4 cast iron 1 slabs` when in place was just 2" which made it very dangerous in lifting the slab with the inner supporting frame into position, one slip and your fingers were gone. One slab took no less than 4 strong men to get in place, and unde no circumstances would you use any help from someone who hadnt this kind of work before.
    Levelling of the table was achieved by a very large nut at each leg, and if the table `went against you`you could be there for ages getting it right.
    Fitting the slate lining/tacking rail was also a bit of a chore due to the reduced overhang of the `slabs` and protuding bolts which stuck out from the frame. The 4 corner liners gave one very little room to get a tack into, and one must remember that this was the days of the 38oz cloth which made it a little more difficult.
    The cushion rails on that particular table were made by Burroughes & Watts, and must have been swopped from another table. The cushion rails were re-drilled to take the cushion bolts. I have also seen these tables fitted with 2" slates and B&W Steelback cushions, but this would have been done by B&W Dublin who had taken over Harris`.
    On both types of table there was always that `sound`when the ball hit the cushion, and even though the frame and cushions were robust, there was very little one to do to eliminate this `sound`.
    When you but cheap... You buy twice !

Comment

all them tables must be down where you live Gerard! I have covered and refurbished tables all over Ireland and never worked on a HARRIS table yet.you should buy them up bacause there is a lot of money for them in the antique market in china!
      the one i have is the same as you explained with 4 inner adjustable cast iron cross bearers which slots into the frame.I would level the frame first with adjustable nuts before putting the slate on then i dont think it would be to bad to level, 5x 1" 1/2 slate top the cushions are original with harris stamp. as for the sound ill let you know when i refurbish the table, i trying to get as much information as possible on these tables and what ive been told harris could have been manufacturing tables from 1840s.where can i get this information that burroughes&watts took over harris in 1929.
      If you pay peanuts you get monkeys !

Comment

Do we get to see some photos please?
        王可

Comment

i have a harris cast iron 9ft table and would like information on it if anyone can help me, thanks

Comment

Working...
          X