Table parts missing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table parts missing ?

Today I traveled all the way to Windsor from nottingham to do what seemed a straight forward job .

1 Re-errect a table stored on premises in bits .

2 Recover at same time

When I got there I was shown a rather well worn out table in an outside lock up , We started to carry the wood work in and laying the table out in parts on the floor , I noticed that 12 Frame bolts where short but being as there was 12 there thought at least I can get the frame up and add the bolts later , but before this I thought I had better check all the other parts of the table to make sure nothing else was missing , well good that I did because there where only 5 cushions
    The top plates where shabby and bent and one was Broken , 4 pocket plate bolts missing , no leathers or nets on them , 1 cushion bolt missing , the bed cloth lining was not there too .
    Plus the rubber was rock hard and no cushion and frame hooks or playing tackle .

I phoned the Office to say what was missing and why we could not proceed with the work , My boss was not too pleased and he did explain that he did email a list through for them to check that all parts where there , some one did not do their job correct .

the moral of this story is please check youre table before you contact any billiards firm to do any work as they will still charge for time put into the job , which includes Wages , traveling costs one from lincolnshire to nottingham the other from nottingham to windsor and the return , and loss of profit for that day .
    A costly day for the customer ! :rolleyes-new:
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

What a nightmare... especially when you're up to your eyes in work and working to a tight schedule. Just hope you get paid for it. I've had the same thing happen to me when going to do work for a customer in Portugal... flew all the way there and discovered that some of the parts were missing... could only do part of the job, then had to fly back a week later to complete the job.

Not complaining about getting 2 paid trips to Portugal... but it's the time and effort you put in and the preparation to go do a job right, only to get an effective kick in the teeth.

Suppose the only way to get people to do things right next time, is to hit them where it hurts... their pocket!!!

Comment

Sounds like a real dog of a table Geoff. Probably better for them to get a complete new table.

Talking of traveling to Portugal, are you able to travel with all the tools needed to fit a table, what with the size and weight of everything?

Comment

Thats the problem working abroad , I only travel by van and take the table with me , flying in with all the tools required to do the job with ease is just not possible , for a start what do I do with my jacks and leveling kit plus the 6 foot straight edge , then there is the power drill driver and other hand held tools , plus cloth tacks filler etc . and the heavy Piano trolly , imagine carrying this lot through an airport plus the suitcase ?

I only fly if the person who has a table also has the tools to at least do the basic job allready there , I can use just a basic kit plus take my own engineering level , but prefer to stay within my comfort zone knowing i have everything for every possible job that will be required of me .
        the last table I did in portugal was a fly in job , BUT my tools went with the table on the main van on the Friday night with two other people , I flew out on the Monday and fitted the table all in a day , stayed overniight and flew back next morning , then had a 3 days holiday plus a weekend before being reunited with my tools .

Comment

Geoff, I shipped a table to Calgary in 2005. I had my tools in a box with wheels which went in the hold. I took through as luggage a scoreboard, ball box and revolving cue stand, and wasnt charged any duties! Arrived in Calgary to find that the bottle jack had leaked fluid due to the pressure in the hold! Got to clients house only to find that he had had his joiners erect table to slate height and it was bang on level. Fitted cloth and steel block cushions and had to kick my heels for 7 days! Got bored after 2 days as the client was too busy to show me the sights so I bought a flight and flew home early.

Comment

That's a real shame maryfield... I went to Calgary on my honeymoon and the place is fantastic... you should of hired a car and done some sight seeing yourself... would love to go back myself, so peaceful and scenic

Comment

I know. The client was going to take me Banff and various other places, but business meetings prevented that. So my lot was going to see Batman the 1st afternoon, a steak dinner and a carry out for the apartment. Batman was the last straw and lucky for me the Flight Centre was in the same complex. £ 215 return flight, happy days. My 4 year old sons face made up for cutting it short. Sadly the client died last year so a repeat visit to his place wont happen.

Another one I did more recent was a job in Dubai. Table shipped over in December. Plams were greased to expedite through customs, at his end. The Client wanted for New Year party so I flew out 29th, fitted table on the 30th and was standing celebrating Hogamany in my local pub by 7 pm

Comment

So, Geoff, your van takes you, tools and the table! I hadn't realised that. It makes things a little bit easier for us doesn't it?
                王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                  So, Geoff, your van takes you, tools and the table! I hadn't realised that. It makes things a little bit easier for us doesn't it?
                  Not my Van Phil , a van and an Extra Driver , I was talking from the firms point of veiw not me Personaly .
                  the furthest I would rent a van for is just the Uk ,I have broken down abroad in France last year and a mishap like that can cost money which far outways the job quoted for ...THERFORE any work that involves a table being moved from the UK to any european country on a private basis will have to fall on the customer for costs , like lorry or van rental plus extra driver , plus breakdown european cover etc .
                  If you want a complete inclusive package of delivery and instalation then you would have to contact the firm .

Comment

Originally Posted by maryfield View Post
                    Geoff, I shipped a table to Calgary in 2005. I had my tools in a box with wheels which went in the hold. I took through as luggage a scoreboard, ball box and revolving cue stand, and wasnt charged any duties! Arrived in Calgary to find that the bottle jack had leaked fluid due to the pressure in the hold! Got to clients house only to find that he had had his joiners erect table to slate height and it was bang on level. Fitted cloth and steel block cushions and had to kick my heels for 7 days! Got bored after 2 days as the client was too busy to show me the sights so I bought a flight and flew home early.
                    Just out of interest do you always use a bottle jack?
                    Billiard Fitters always have time for a nap!

Comment

Yes and no , I have two antique screw jacks like what Rileys used but have retired them , they used to belong to the guy who trained me so would not part with them , but prefer the bottle jack with a block of wood for quickness and ease .
                      I have a Bosch tool bag with toe pieces in and also the level and the jack and the slate filler , body filler and Plaster of paris and sand paper , so just pick the bag up and I have everything for leveling and finishing the slate ready for the Bed cloth .
                      I bet maryfield prefers a bottle jack too , for the same reasons .

Geoff

Comment

Hi Geoff, can you explain the main reason for the use of Plaster of Paris to fill the slate joins and not other materials, such as melted wax etc. Also, if, where the slates meet, is a good fit, do you always have to try to use filler for the smallest of gaps, or are there times you don't need to use any at all?

Thanks

Justin

Comment

Only perfect slates with 100% good joints do not require filling , but these are like the holy grail to find these days , only good thick welsh slate and a table that has not seen much moving if any in its time will have as perfect slates as these .

Materials to fill joints

WAX is an american thing , I do find it good and quick to use BUT the wax is meant for speed clothed tables where an Iron is not used , on wool napped cloth if you iron over a wax joint at a slow pace which is normal to do , the heat from the iron tends to draw the wax upwards . the wax also melts into the weave of the cloth , large chunks missing out of the slate should always be filled with something a bit more upto the job like modern fillers or Plaster of Paris .

Car body filler , this is good if you have the soft sand type , useing the old hard type can result in sanding troughs into the slate either side of the filler , so only use soft sand type

Plaster of Paris the traditional filler as used for many years by Billliard fitters and I still use it today but also use soft sand car body filler , PP is soft to sand , and it sets quick , although some of the model making plaster of paris will require more time to set , I find the large bag from boots the chemists the best on the market and I've tried most brands , this is meant for the hospital market as used to set broken arms etc .

there are some times that the slates do align up perfect with no gaps , if that is the case then yes do not fill , but as said that is the holy grail these days , slate manufactureing is not as precise as it was many years ago . Not many are made to such a fine degree of accuracy .

Comment

Cheers Geoff, was just curious what you guys used these days. I still have my old screw jack though it's not an antique as it was made for me using stainless steel tubing in the mid eighties. I have just read your post about car body filler and how you prefer plaster of paris. We always used Isopon Car Body filler at Enbild................bloody hard to sand down!!!
                            Billiard Fitters always have time for a nap!

Comment

Working...
                            X