slate is there an alternative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by spike007 View Post
    The lightest stable material you could probably use from f1 would be unobtanium……it's quite hard to get hold of though.
    your not looking in the right places.

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
      your not looking in the right places.
      What about that stuff the ship was made of in "the Core" ?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
        What about that stuff the ship was made of in "the Core" ?

--------------------------------------------------------------
        Might need it with my red hot play lol.

Comment

You need the weight of the slate. You do not want balls to move when you bum into the table.

Comment

Originally Posted by icem3n View Post
            You need the weight of the slate. You do not want balls to move when you bum into the table.
            He's got a point.

Comment

Originally Posted by bricktip View Post
              He's got a point.
              If you read back through the my previous post's I have already cover this, by adding water filled ballast tanks in the frame. The whole idea is to have a full size table that is easy to move from A to B and can be transported assembled by one person. And also to see if there is a material that will absorb more of the bounce of the white ball.

Comment

ok, sorry i didn't remember that you already mentioned this. Even with the weight of the slates, a standard table does suffer from vibrations if bumped hard enough, even though it doesn't move the balls it is noticeable that a cue rocks a bit if laying on the table.

I think there is room for improvement all round if the table manufacturers could afford the costs of developments.

Comment

I can't see how water filled tanks are going to be very user friendly, how are you going to fill them ? and more importantly when the time comes to move the table, how are you going to empty them ???
                  Or did you envisage lots and lots of small tanks ??? you would need so many to get the table stable, it probably would look horrendous

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                    I can't see how water filled tanks are going to be very user friendly, how are you going to fill them ? and more importantly when the time comes to move the table, how are you going to empty them ???
                    Or did you envisage lots and lots of small tanks ??? you would need so many to get the table stable, it probably would look horrendous
                    The tanks will be made of light weight plastic, I think 10 tanks would be about the right amount 2 tanks under each section of slate substitute. These would not be seen as they sit in side the frame and will be covered by the frame sides and end pieces. As for filling I don't see this as a problem as a simple hose connected to a tap will fill them in no time at all and draining them would be as simple as connecting a hose to a drain plug on the bottom of the tanks.
                    As I said in my original post traditionalist will be horrified when any one suggested something new and will try and find fault where there is none. Is there a need to change maybe not but it's just a bit of light hearted chat about the possibility's, advantages and disadvantages. I think a table constructed in the way I have mention would have it's place in the market but certainly would not be for every one.

Comment

You could fill your tanks with the drinks Rileys make you buy every 60mins!!

Comment

Having filtered them through your kidneys first?
                        Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
                        You could fill your tanks with the drinks Rileys make you buy every 60mins!!
                        王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                          Having filtered them through your kidneys first?
                          Defo:very_drunk::very_drunk::very_drunk::very_drun k::very_drunk:

Comment

Heavy legs

Hmm. Okay I've read this whole tread now, perhaps a new strategy other than water is needed. What about heavy legs for the table, perhaps individually weighing something that only two average people are needed to lift just one leg? This way the legs themselves could be very different designs depending on their composition (like big legs could be made of aluminum and smaller legs made of steel). Perhaps a truss system of supports might be necessary for additional stability; could be hidden within a few inches under the area of the table. I don't know, I'm just thinking off the top of my head here.

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                              lso they do sometimes use a substitute material. It is similar to the faux marble that is sometimes seen in up market kitchen work surfaces.

We have corian work tops, it's light and easy to machine but with the look and feel of marble, would be perfect. As for the weight issue, anything that can be sourced locally would cut down on shipping costs.
                              No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

weight in the legs would be no good as in a current slate designed table the slate just sit's on the frame and the cushion's are bolted to the slate. If there were no weight in the bed of the table you would have to make a frame with a rebate to hold the slate substitute. I suppose this could be done put I think levelling would be a problem. I would stick with the water tanks. Of course these would have to be connected to the under side of the slate subsistent in order to give mass/weight.
                                Last edited by cazmac1; 4 August 2012, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X