Oval Ended Bagatelle Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Gents,

Hope the forum is well. I wanted to ask for some advice. We learned a valuable lesson while trying to set up the table and slates, etc. We were sliding the frame (without the slates on top) into place and one of the legs made a popping sound and separated. Please see photos. I then checked the other legs and they are loose as well. My question is what can be done to make the legs stronger? Re-glue? or use some long screws?

Thanks in advance,
    Mark in Houston

DSC00799.jpgDSC00801.jpgDSC00800.jpgDSC00797.jpgDSC00798.jpg

Comment

a few more photos.

DSC00802.jpgDSC00804.jpg

Comment

Any ideas folks?

Thanks..

Comment

It looks to me like a fairly straightforward joinery job. The modern wood adhesives are very good. The joint is usually stronger than the actual wood if you do the job carefully. Working on a solid piece of hardwood like that you should be OK.
          王可

Comment

Thanks Philip.

Is this a fairly common issue on these types of legs because of the old thpe of glue?

And are you saying all I need to do is simply re-glue / clamp any legs that appear to be loose?

Cheers,
            Mark

Comment

I would agree with Philip, I am a joiner by trade, your best bet is some adhesive and clamps. I wouldn't want to put screws through the legs, if they're oak then you can have some issues with acid levels in the wood.

Eco stick wood adhesive, basically a beefed up PVA, that's the stuff I would use, if you need anymore help just ask.

Dan

Comment

I should think you would be able to locate it fairly accurately. You will know when you are spot on as the grain will all fit together exactly.
                王可

Comment

Thanks Fellas,

One leg yoke was broken when I purchased the table. Once we broke the second leg yoke I became worried that we'd get it all set up with the slates on and someone leans on the table and it collapses. So we stopped setting it up.

FYI, I never did find any written info or photos of this table. I wonder just how unique this table really is.

No one I've talked to has seen a bagatelle with (3) pockets on each long rail.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
                  Mark

Comment

Working...
                  X