Sublime to the ridiculous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sublime to the ridiculous

I have just joined a conservative club which has 5 nice tables !! I went to the first table to have a practice (sublime) to my astonishment I potted far more balls than expected , I thought I was Fab !!! One day my favoured table was occupied so went onto the table labelled Practice DOH !! (Ridiculous) The pockets were so tight every slight miss was punished I thoght I had lost my eyesight !!! Until one of the guys pointed out to me that I had been practicing on a Billiard table ??? I didnt think there was such a thing ???

well, to be pedantic, all these table are Billiard Tables on which you happen to play a game called snooker
    At my Social club we have three tables, Table 1 has very tight pockets (probably they are close if not actual tournament template, ?); Table 2 has what I would call club-pockets, not too tight nor too open; Table 3 is what the "locals" call The Billiard Table, and unlike you, this has huge pocket openings.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I've played on an old (1910) B&W billiards table with steel-blocked cushions and it was VERY tight. I believe this was so since billiards is more concerned with in-offs than forcing pots like snooker and plus billiards players used helping side when playing in-offs.

I'm not certain of the actual measurements but I'm certain pockets were made slightly easier when snooker became more popular although it's correct to say there is no such thing as a snooker table, only billiard tables.

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

The hard practice table at my club has sharp corners that throw the ball out but the so called billiard table has long rounded corners that invite the ball to drop !!! Should I be practicing on the hard table or easier table ??

Comment

I would say "hard" this makes you to be more precise, instead of sloppy shots into a forgiving pocket.
          But be prepared for some cussing with the number of near-misses
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks I know that precision is all important but I wanted to feel like I was potting fluently with a little room for error so I could concentrate more on position , knowing I would be throwing the white out a little more !!! Or should I concentrate all my thoughts on accuracy ?? Any Thoughts ??

Comment

around 1984 they changed the pocket openings so if the table hasnt been re rubbered since then the pockets are more like a funnel and are a lot tighter at the back compared to the new shape today.
              they couldnt change the size of the pocket openings in the rules but they could open them up at the back so you dont get as many bounce outs or rattles!

when you re rubber old billiard cushions you have to sometimes cut back the cushion capping or the rubber will be to thin at the back trying to create the correct pocket size hard to explain on paper! id have to take some pictures to illustrate next time

Comment

Yeah I know exactly what you mean , as I have been checking the tables out today !!! The easier table seems to have much longer rounder pocket openings and I guess all the other tables are standard pockets !! In other words I should really be practicing on the standard tables or I am in danger of getting my arse kicked when the comps start !!!

Comment

Originally Posted by tomeestrings View Post
                  The hard practice table at my club has sharp corners that throw the ball out but the so called billiard table has long rounded corners that invite the ball to drop !!! Should I be practicing on the hard table or easier table ??
                  Practise on the easier table as it's more forgiving and will give you confidence and confidence breeds accuracy.

Comment

Thanks Steve, I appreciate your comments and they make good sense to me !! I shall be giving it an hour later today

Comment

I would agree 100%. Then eventually graduate onto the tighter table.

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                      Practise on the easier table as it's more forgiving and will give you confidence and confidence breeds accuracy.
                      王可

Comment

I think I just may have graduated to the regular tables with no distinct difference , suffice to say my concentration levels have had to step up a couple of gears ..

Comment

If you ask me playing on the tighter tables is much better. Much better sense of achievement and you shouldn't move tables and suddenly find you can't pot a thing. Unfortunately there's no such thing as a tight table round me anymore :/
                          Can't comment on whether it made me a better player though as I'm beyond rubbish now because I don't get to play enough
                          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Where I play most the table was cut for Ronnie in '96 so has very tight pockets and when coming off that and into a club table I can knock in 50s for fun which for me is very good.
                            "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Daily up-date ; Still rubbish !! But the Quality of the rubbish is much better

Comment

Working...
                              X