Table cloth and spin...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table cloth and spin...?

Hi all. I have some northern rubber (thanks Geoff) ready to mount to my pool table cushions and am now deciding which cloth to purchase. The last recover was with Hainsworth speed cloth which seems to wear quite quickly (hence the name.

Is there a 'better' cloth for pool tables and does the cloth make a big difference to ball spin?
    Only dead fish go with the flow!

I like the crack about Hainsworth Speed Cloth. I had never thought of it like that. Very apposite.
    王可

Comment

I assume the "speed cloth" is Hainsworth Precision, they do some others like the Match, and then Smart.
      We have Precision on our league table (in the pub) and it has lasted a year; so how much do you use your table?
      see http://www.hainsworth.co.uk/interior...and-pool-cloth

Other cloth makes:
      Strachan from WSP Textiles, they have some very fast cloths but are known to not last as long as equivalent Hainsworth and sometimes need re-stretching (Hainsworth less so but not unknown).
      http://www.wsptextiles.com/strachan-...-product-range

Simonis have some good cloths which are known to be very hard wearing, often napless, very fast but not to everyone's taste.
      several websites, best to find the in-country distributor.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Yes, it's Hainsworth precision. I recovered when I brought the 7ft pool table back from the UK, along with new cushion rubber (cheapo chinese red stuff). Thanks to Geoff supplying some second hand Northern rubber I'm now able to do the job 'better' and with a different cloth. We use the table about 10-12 hrs a week- mostly when having a drink with friends as we have space for a games room and bar.....:snooker:
        Now I think pf it a year+ is pretty good considering The speedcloth is a very affordable on ebay so maybe I'll buy the same if there is little difference in spin effect??
        Last edited by Gapster; 12 May 2013, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Hainsworth Precision - we get good cue ball control, including spin (? side? screw?)
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

With speed cloth it is mainly man made fibres rather than a 50/50 wool mix like napped pool cloth .

the all wool cloth is expensive , grades like Hainsworth smart and match ( not used precision yet as my main cloth choice is Strachan make not Hainsworth ) , and strachan 6811 Tournament and No 10 match grade .

The speed cloth burns when a ball hits another , you get little white friction marks where the ball is suddenly hit by the other ball .

The speed cloth i use is Strachan super pro worsted cloth , it is more expensive than the average speed cloth , but it is a good make ,

You can use Euro pool speed cloth which is rather low on price and thick and hard wearing , but it will suffer from those friction ball burn marks .

all Wool cloths if misused do fluff up and tear easy if cues are stubbed and stabbed into it with people trying trick shots and ball swerve etc

A lower cost option is to buy a second hand full size bed cloth or even two , you will get around 2 recovers out of one of these .
            use upside down so you can use the cloth sideways for each bed , and you should then get two sets of cushions out of the other third .
            [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

....so, where would I find some second-hand cloth, Geoff....?

Comment

Not a good idea if speed is desired. The cloth when reversed has no nap and will 'pill' (fuzz balls) like mad. I have used this for community centres when cost is paramount, but if speed and control are preferred forget it. You will also have marks where the spots are. We sell used cloths for trophy bottoms, lining drawers, antique restoration, kiddies tables etc. I'm sure Geoff will sort you out if you wish to go that route.

Comment

I had a thread once on what to do with old bed cloths. It wasn't much of a success as I remember. I use it for all sorts of things. Fake antique card tables are good.
                  王可

Comment

Working...
                  X