• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by gnomus View Post
    ... That was easy.. thanks JRC750
    No problem, nice room you have there, very jealous

Comment

That makes 2 off us . Really nice set up
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

to drill out wood just use a smaller than the hole drill bit

a tap can be purchased from any good bolt supplier and also the small brass dome head bolts , there is a good bolt supplier at long Eaton where i live so if you have any work done by me I could take one bolt there for you and sort the threads tap and the brass bolts with dome heads out for you . but if rayanh147 has the florets he may have the original Cox and yeman tapped out bolts too along with the brass dome bolts ?

No ball part figure on new buttons , Brian at cheshire is not cheap , but he does use good wood and the buttons are not normal type they have to be turned then counter sunk on the rear , unlike the plug in ones . best bet is to try Rayanh147 first for original floret ones.

Pocket leathers can be made from flat leather so if no one stocks the large horshoe type ( someone may ) then that is the route to take and no problem .

as for hybrid table , the leg design is very B&watts type but it does not mean it is not a Cox and yeman , the knee panels are not burroughs and watts so i may be wrong in thinking it is a B&Watts , ( I'm not right every time lol )

Yes A&pykets store room is a bity chaotic , but he does know where everything is .

no photo's of the bullet cartridge cases i,m afraid , it was just one table I had seen with florets on the side cushions , and the missing end cushion forets where replaced with these gun shell brass cut downs , they looked very good all polished brass and copper etc .

yes look up ryanah147 . tell him Geoff sent you .

If you are looking for a re-rubber and re-cover , i could when passing call in and look the table over to give you an honest opinion on the rubber , but looking at youre pockets they come to a sharp point on the undercutt rather than the new flat edge type of cutt and only a re-rubber will sort that out .

Old tables do suffer from bounce back off the centre pocket plate , this is due to the capping of the cushion being slim and not wide , therfore the pocket plate is near to the centre pocket fall , if it is was further back no bounce back would happen .

Hope this answers the questions ...lol

Oh one other thing , the shade looks a bit low , an optiion to think about , I would opt for the new slimline twin tube high frequency lighting these can be hung furher up and out the way , and would make for a better game and viewing of the balls , plus less side shadow .

Geoff

Originally Posted by gnomus View Post
        Geoff

Thanks again for your detailed reply.

Erm ... I think you may just have over-estimated my skills as a handyman there. Is this something I could get someone (such as yourself) to do for me?

This sounds like the sort of thing I might be after. Have you any idea what sort of cost I might be looking at for them (even a rough ballpark figure would do).

I am beginning to wonder if the table needs a recover, with cushion re-rubbering (I've had it for around 11 years). What implications will this "leathers" issue cause? Is there a workaround for this?

I have noticed that if the ball is hit into the pockets firmly then there is a tendency for it to bounce out - this is especially the case on the middle pockets. Is this a leather problem?

I do remember going to a somewhat chaotic storeroom-cum-showroom in Nottingham. There were tables lying around all over. However, the "bits" for each table did seemed to be piled up together - I suppose it is possible that they could have got mixed up. Or perhaps the table was "hybridized" before A&P got hold of it.

I am fairly sure that the chap I dealt with was called Brian. He was plagued by back pain as I recall.

I am struggling to understand what this would look like. Would anyone have any pictures?

I was able to use photobucket images when I posted, but I still could nto find a way fo making the image appear larger in the thread.

I'll do that.

Thanks again for your ongoing help with this Geoff. And once again please excuse my ignorance of these matters.
        Last edited by Geoff Large; 25 May 2013, 02:09 PM.
        [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
          to drill out wood just use a smaller than the hole drill bit ...
          Geoff

I'm still trying to picture in my mind the "gun shell" option. Do you mean that they have cut some cartridge cases and used the primer end over the bolts. Here is what I mean by the primer end:

These are .50 BMG cases and would be too small for the job, but I may be able to source some spent 20mm cartridge cases.

(I've contacted both ryanah147 and Cheshire Billiards as regards your other suggestions.)

... Oh one other thing , the shade looks a bit low , an optiion to think about , I would opt for the new slimline twin tube high frequency lighting these can be hung furher up and out the way , and would make for a better game and viewing of the balls , plus less side shadow .
          My wife laughed out loud when she read this one. I'll give you the short version... I'd read somewhere that the bottom of the canopy should hang a certain distance from the bed of the table (I think it was around 30"). This seemed to give an uneven lighting. I then raised the canopy - however when I got down to play shots I could now see the Energy Saving lightbulb in the upper field of my vision. I found this distracting. The wife and I then spent a whole evening adjusting the damn thing up and down, at the end of which the thing was right back where I started.

I don't know very much about the lighting option you suggest. Is this an expensive job?

Regards

Comment

lighting is not expensive around £120 to £130 if you DIY it . double that if not .

look at lighting thread on here

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ighting+dextra

Yes thats the shell caseing but no lettering in them , they are ex miltary large shells though to cover the bolt heads , not youre 12 bore gauge . more like youre tank piercing round and I don't think you will get them on youre country game shoot or clay pidgeon shoot .....lol
            measure your bolt heads the shell caseing has to clear these then get the nearest measurement without them sticking .

Comment

He's just down the road from my mission control, then. Geoff.
              王可

Comment

An update to this thread .

Ryannah has sent some florets for this cox and yeman table , we sourced a foundry close by in retford to cast some missing ones , and located some taps for rethreading the bolt heads , some new dome headed brass screws have been located too .

I am booked to visit the table to re-rubber on 22nd of July and re-cover on 23rd of july , also retapping out the bolt heads and fitting the new florets that Ryannah has kindly sent over from Ireland , these with some new brass cast ones will be fitted on the day and photo's will be posted too .

see also related thread about the florets .
                http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...-Bolt-Rosettes

many thanks for the work gnomes
                Last edited by Geoff Large; 28 June 2013, 12:24 PM.

Comment

And just to add to what Geoff has posted...

There was a huge range in prices quoted for recasting the rosettes. The guy I found in Retford was a no-frills/no-nonsense kind of guy who made the copies quickly and at what to me seemed a reasonable cost. By comparison, I contacted another company who quoted me more than 5x what the Retford guy charged!

Comment

Well done. If you can get them cast the rest is easy.
                    王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                      Well done. If you can get them cast the rest is easy.
                      Erm ... well there's still the bolts to be drilled out and threaded.

Comment

don't worry thats my problem

I am having a look at some spare bolts in the garage this weekend before I jet off to the sun for a week , and drill and tap a few spare ones ready to fit maybe around 12 and then look at the rest of yours when I get there on the Monday 22nd july .

this is just incase some of yours are damaged too much by the screws the other firm put in .

Geoff

Comment

Just completed the work on this Cox and Yeman table , the table was treated to new lighting , new Northern rubber , new Strachan 6811 tournament cloth re-cover includeing a set of new cushion slips , and the fitting of the new and some of the old florettes that cover the cushion bolt heads . plus refilling of slate joints and level .
                          Full story on my web site Blog here
                          http://gclbilliards.com/re-cover-re-...ttinghamshire/

Geoff

Comment

Just completed the work on this Cox and Yeman table , the table was treated to new lighting , new Northern rubber , new Strachan 6811 tournament cloth re-cover includeing a set of new cushion slips , and the fitting of the new and some of the old florettes that cover the cushion bolt heads . plus refilling of slate joints and level .
                            Full story on my web site Blog here
                            http://gclbilliards.com/re-cover-re-...ttinghamshire/

Geoff
                            I will only add that Geoff did a superb job on my table and it was a real pleasure dealing with him. You can read about all the work he did on his blog (link in previous post).

I would have no hesitation in recommending him to anyone who might be looking for some work doing on their table.

Thanks again Geoff.

Comment

And for those who choose not to visit Geoff's blog, here is a photo of the finished job:

Comment

Working...
                              X