Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adhesive for Re-rubbering?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Adhesive for Re-rubbering?

    Hi all

    my friend is having his table a re-cover and re-rubber, and since he doesn't know anything about tools or how a good fitting should be done, he asked me to observe the work of the fitter.

    he told me that last time he had a re-rubber with Northern Rubber which was 7 or 8 years back, the fitter used a glue like the one used for floor carpets, which the bond was different from cushion to cushion. and affected the bounce

    Since Geoff Large is the expert fitter around here, what are the types of contact adhesive should be used for rubbers, and who should the fitter remove the old glue and put the new rubbers?

    any pics from your past re-rubbers would be appreciated.

    thanks in advance Geoff

  • #2
    Neoprene adhesive is used for fixing the rubbers. We buy this from Peradons but a stronger 2 part version can be purchased from wet suit suppliers. They use this for repairing the wetsuits and gives a very strong bond.

    Comment


    • #3
      Any good contact adhesive is good but there is some rubbish out there , but there are special neoprene adhesive like Maryfield says , I have used many types over the years and one low cost option is from screw fix's own Brand called No nonsense contact adhesive. I also use this for glueing pool table cloth to the slate.

      Many fitters use a Brush to put the glue on , I use a toothed comb one of the evo stick brand type if you can still get them , lucky for me I saved a few . I glue all 6 rubbers in one go and the blocks are cleaned and sanded , I also sand the back of the rubber with coarse sand paper to give extra bond grip .

      What ever glue you use , when people sit on the cushions , this is the main problem for rubber coming off the block , one recurring spot to look out for is , the Match table where and important match is being played and some idiot think's it is ok to sit on the next table's cushions to watch the match or their mates playing on the next table .
      you know it is happening as on the side that faces away or to a wall there is not a problem . I have also witnessed it when working on another table or when out at night having a pint in a club .
      [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Adhesive for Re-rubbering?

        Geoff could I have your number pls. wouldnt let me send u a pm earlier for some reason
        Its not how well you play its how good you look playing that counts!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by archalf1471 View Post
          Geoff could I have your number pls. wouldnt let me send u a pm earlier for some reason
          His contact details are on his website, (in his sig.)

          I am based in Long Eaton, Nottingham, but I will travel anywhere within a 100 mile radius and beyond if cost effective.

          Telephone: 0115 972 5355
          Mobile: 07753 466064

          Internet: www.gclbilliards.com

          Email: c.large@btinternet.com

          Comment


          • #6
            thanks Geoff

            your info is always spot on.


            Originally posted by Geoff Large View Post
            Any good contact adhesive is good but there is some rubbish out there , but there are special neoprene adhesive like Maryfield says , I have used many types over the years and one low cost option is from screw fix's own Brand called No nonsense contact adhesive. I also use this for glueing pool table cloth to the slate.

            Many fitters use a Brush to put the glue on , I use a toothed comb one of the evo stick brand type if you can still get them , lucky for me I saved a few . I glue all 6 rubbers in one go and the blocks are cleaned and sanded , I also sand the back of the rubber with coarse sand paper to give extra bond grip .

            What ever glue you use , when people sit on the cushions , this is the main problem for rubber coming off the block , one recurring spot to look out for is , the Match table where and important match is being played and some idiot think's it is ok to sit on the next table's cushions to watch the match or their mates playing on the next table .
            you know it is happening as on the side that faces away or to a wall there is not a problem . I have also witnessed it when working on another table or when out at night having a pint in a club .

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jrc750 View Post
              Originally posted by archalf1471 View Post
              Geoff could I have your number pls. wouldnt let me send u a pm earlier for some reason
              His contact details are on his website, (in his sig.)

              I am based in Long Eaton, Nottingham, but I will travel anywhere within a 100 mile radius and beyond if cost effective.

              Telephone: 0115 972 5355
              Mobile: 07753 466064

              Internet: www.gclbilliards.com

              Email: c.large@btinternet.com
              Many thanks my friend
              Its not how well you play its how good you look playing that counts!

              Comment


              • #8
                thanx maryfield for your reply.
                is it ok to use the same adhesive for glueing the cloth on the back of the steel plate on the steel block cushion?

                Originally posted by maryfield View Post
                Neoprene adhesive is used for fixing the rubbers. We buy this from Peradons but a stronger 2 part version can be purchased from wet suit suppliers. They use this for repairing the wetsuits and gives a very strong bond.

                Comment


                • #9
                  You don't glue the cloth on although I have seen some dodgy fitter doing it. The cloth is held in place with a thin wooden fillet strip. This is tapped into the groove which runs along the length of the steel.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by maryfield View Post
                    You don't glue the cloth on although I have seen some dodgy fitter doing it. The cloth is held in place with a thin wooden fillet strip. This is tapped into the groove which runs along the length of the steel.
                    I also have come across some steels with glued on cloth on the rear so there is someone going around doing this , I know from experience that steel cushion slips have to be planed right down to very thin slips as the rebate grooves in the back of the steel is very thin this will take time , some leave a bit of the slip missing at the ends and staple to the top of the end wrap around blocks , I always use the full length of the slip groove and do not use this method of stapling to the wrap around blocks , although I must say that method is just as good , it is just not the way I was taught .
                    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X