Brand of this table?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand of this table?!?

I bought this table in very used condition (it still is) years ago. There is no brand / manufacturer anywhere. No stamps or any other hints. (Only markings are made with pen: "match table" on cushions and numbering 1-6.) Just being curious if someone can recognize this table from this photo:

what-table.jpg

thanks and cheers...

The table would have been made in the mid 80s by Tara Snooker, Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland.
    Not the best brand really, a lot of rubbish went into them.
    When you but cheap... You buy twice !

Comment

Ok, thank You for the information!! How sure You are about this Tara Snooker?

Comment

100% sure. Take a look under the table, the cross bearers are just white deal stained with a notch cut out in the middle of same. You will also see a 10ft length of 3"x 2" running the length of the table and through those notches to give the appearance that they are stretchers or muntings, yet serve no purpose at all. The slate slabs have no actual support.
        The turned legs by the way may appear to be of solid construction, but are hollow in the middle. This was just plain scrimping by the manufacturer ( saving 8ft of timber per table).
        There is also the possibility that the long sides are made from scaffold boards with a 1/4" mahogany plywood glued to it, to give the appearance that the frame is mahogany.
        Do you find the balls jumping out of the middle pockets when you play a hard shot?
        The only good thing about Tara Tables were the pocket leathers , these were moulded and cut-out by the manufacturer himself, they last forever.
        Sorry about the bad news, but that's how it is.
        G.
        When you but cheap... You buy twice !

Comment

Thanks for Your answer. Absolutely no need to be sorry. I've had great fun on the table! And, I'm not taking this table that personal. However, frame blanks are solid mahogany. Also, the legs are not hollow. I know that, because when I assembled the table I needed re-glue some of turned parts to squares (I needed to make wooden inserts to strenghten joints (I don't know proper word for that), so I know these legs are not hollow - maýbe not solid mahogany, but certainly not hollow). Furthermore, there is two supporting beams running the lenght of the table. I can't see why these cannot make decent support to slates.

Yes, the balls are really jumping out of middle pockets- very annoying. Also, two of the cushions are very badly bent. One is actually so badly that I needed to make two saw-cuts to force it to make contact with bed. So, even usage of brute force did not solve this (slates disturbed and lifted along without those saw-cuts).

The table was almost free to me years ago. I've been happily practicing on it now four years. When assembled the table, I used the already worn cloth which came along. Now, the cloth is totally in it's end. I'm not willing to invest a new one to be used on this table (mainly because of those bad cushions). So, I'll cut, grind and polish the slates to kitchen and bathroom countertops and of mahogany blanks I'll make a new dining table.

IMG_1223.jpgIMG_1224.jpgIMG_1225.jpgIMG_1227.jpgIMG_1229.jpg

Comment

sorry for writing in your topic . I want to ask about tables matchroom . what is this tables , how good they are , what is their price ?
            10102013920.jpg10102013925.jpg

Comment

Runningside, you have a table - more than most of us why not invest in new cushions - may just be the rubbers? Have new rubbers, reclothed and a new bed cloth - professionally fitted and you may have a fantastic asset for may years to come.
              If it is not just the rubbers, I am sure you can get new rails for not "that" much.
              But why destroy a reasonably good table for the sake of new kitchen and bathroom counters?
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

It may be better to source a good second hand proper made table and replace rather than try to make a Rolls Royce out of a Lada ( Russian car ) as the saying used to go.
                There are thousands of tables up for sale at the money and only a few buyers , that means good tables can be had for very little money , only this week we have helped source a table for a client for just £400 and it was ex professional owned . OK there are collecting and installing costs , but in the long run much better than trying to fit good parts to a bad set of slates and a frame that is just not made correct.

We are scrapping these types of tables monthly , slates going to other good use and the frames and cushions keeping someone warm this winter in the log burner.
                [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Geoff, I agree.

In my country (Finland) it's very difficult to find properly dried wood for different woodworking purposes (unless you're ready to buy a ton in a time), only very bad quality spruce and pine, which are mainly for house building purposes. If one find properly dried wood here, it would be a way overpriced. This is very strange as Finland is mainly forest (and birch is one of main wood species). I understand if someone doesn't believe me saying all this. Also, I'm living in a distant place: only to have a hardware truck to bring me stuff home, costs me approx 150£.

So, I find these approx. 30 years old and dried wooden pieces very useful in my own little projects. Also, all kind of slates and interior stones are very expensive here. So, I give myself a try to recycle these in my domestic environment.

DeanH, if You were in my position, I'm quite sure You would also agree to recycle this table. Of course, it is somehow still sad in a way to "destroy" a snooker table. But, however, maybe I'll make some money savings by these homemade countertops and get agreement from my wife to have a new old snooker table.

cheers

Comment

well if you have agreement from the boss, er, wife, that you can get another table - that is the way to go as Geoff has described
                    also I am sure the wife will be very happy with the counter tops, and as we all (married guys) know when the wife is happy we can be happy
                    keep us informed as to what you do and maybe some photos of the counter tops and new table
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I will DeanH. It may take some time though...

Comment

Working...
                      X