Ball confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball confusion

I am hoping one of you fitters or table mechanics can help me. I am currently setting up a 10 foot table in the basement, and have run into a few problems. The table, I believe, is an old Gandy Big G, a company that has folded. In setting the height i found it was three inches short of the 2' 9.5" min. The legs have some adjustment, but not three inches. I am assuming that because it is of American design, that perhaps it was built to American pool table standards (2' 5" to 2"7" to the bed). This problem I solved with adding blocks under the legs.
    My main confusion is the cushion height to ball size. English snooker web sites sell 2 1/16" balls for "full size" tables, and American snooker sets that measure 2 1/8" and are numbered. American web sites sell English snooker ball as 2 1/8" and American balls at 2 1/4". My cushion height measures 33mm to the underside of the nose, and 36mm to the top of the nose. I want to get the proper balls that play correctly. I'm not loaded, but am willing to pay for a good set, but want to get it right the first time. I appreciate any advice. Cheers.

is this what you are after?

the different undercuts come from differing regulatory organisations I believe, the most common that you see on tables being the top two.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

may i correct you dean?

its not from different regulation authorities, its the same cushion going to the pocket. the last one being the pocket at the fall.

Comment

Originally Posted by drjef28 View Post
        may i correct you dean?

its not from different regulation authorities, its the same cushion going to the pocket. the last one being the pocket at the fall.
        ah really, thanks for that
        I shall have a look next time at the club, not that I spend too much time staring at the undercuts
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by chessking View Post
          I am hoping one of you fitters or table mechanics can help me. I am currently setting up a 10 foot table in the basement, and have run into a few problems. The table, I believe, is an old Gandy Big G, a company that has folded. In setting the height i found it was three inches short of the 2' 9.5" min. The legs have some adjustment, but not three inches. I am assuming that because it is of American design, that perhaps it was built to American pool table standards (2' 5" to 2"7" to the bed). This problem I solved with adding blocks under the legs.
          My main confusion is the cushion height to ball size. English snooker web sites sell 2 1/16" balls for "full size" tables, and American snooker sets that measure 2 1/8" and are numbered. American web sites sell English snooker ball as 2 1/8" and American balls at 2 1/4". My cushion height measures 33mm to the underside of the nose, and 36mm to the top of the nose. I want to get the proper balls that play correctly. I'm not loaded, but am willing to pay for a good set, but want to get it right the first time. I appreciate any advice. Cheers.
          the cushion under nose should be higher than half the ball your playing. so basically if your cushion is 33m to lower nose, then the balls should be 58mm or less

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will probably roll the dice and go with the smaller balls. I don't like the look of the numbered ones. Seems unnecessary to me.

Comment

Working...
            X