Star table frame dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Because the room is already heated you'll be wasting your time on silly table heaters,I've spent years on snooker tables and yet to play on one with a table heater due to the rooms normally giving out specific heat.
    i think you misunderstood the concept of table heating. its the same concept in winter when the sun is up, its cold even with the sun. table heaters are there for mostly 2 reasons, first and foremost to keep the cloth dry( just like ironing the cloth except its constant) and dont tell me you never used an iron. Second, to keep the cushion hotter than the room temperature to give consistent rebound and prolong its life ( cold weather and humidity is bad for the rubber, it turns rock solid if cold, and like sticky gum if humid)

i know from experience.

Comment

The tables looking good so far I have to say, although I don't really understand the desire to make a table 'look' like a Star table. Star tables reputations are built on the steel block cushions, the under table heaters, the 6811 cloths on the rails and the number 10 cloths on the slate beds. They play great that's why they're wanted. According to most table fitters the actual quality of the table itself is, quite frankly, poor. So if you don't end up with the excellent playing conditions you're imitating a bit of a turkey. I hope you intend to have the superb conditions but with a superior hand-built table better than the originals!
      I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Originally Posted by hsn View Post
        Hello all

I'm a snooker addict and DIY hobbyist. I want to put together a replica of the star table for my personal use. Any one out there having the star table or access to a star table can please help me measure the dimension of different parts of the frame. i.e. what is the width and the thickness of the wooden boards used. the diameter of the legs and so on.

http://www.snookermania.co.uk/upload...08049_orig.jpg

Thank you for any one helping with even one piece of the measurements.

Did you make the frame and legs yourself from scratch or is that a used frame you are restoring ?

Comment

Every body got me wrong so far! I posted the photo of the star table I could find on the net asking for help if any body owns a star table or have access to a star table could please take some measurements for me. And people thought I've made the table already and am asking for the dimensions afterwards? What a joke!
          Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
          Did you make the frame and legs yourself from scratch or is that a used frame you are restoring ?

Comment

Well oooooooooooohhhhhhhh soooorrrrrryyyyy !

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
              Well oooooooooooohhhhhhhh soooorrrrrryyyyy !
              Hehehehe!!
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Hello all

I'm a snooker addict and DIY hobbyist. I want to put together a replica of the star table for my personal use. Any one out there having the star table or access to a star table can please help me measure the dimension of different parts of the frame. i.e. what is the width and the thickness of the wooden boards used. the diameter of the legs and so on.
                There is nothing special about Star tables mate, they simply gave World Snooker an 'incentive' for the right for their tables to be used in all pro events.
                Why not design and build your own, start a business, give Barry Hearn a fifty grand 'incentive' and everyone will want one of yours.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                  There is nothing special about Star tables mate, they simply gave World Snooker an 'incentive' for the right for their tables to be used in all pro events.
                  Why not design and build your own, start a business, give Barry Hearn a fifty grand 'incentive' and everyone will want one of yours.
                  he maybe in a bedsit and just wants to make a little one out of matchsticks, don't sound like the kind of lad who wants to calve a real one out with a hammer and chisel.

Comment

:snooker: Add a few noughts to that fifty Grand

when Riley's had the contract in the 80s it was half a Million , then BCE bumped in a better offer for a few years before Riley came back in .

Estimate in todays Table sponsorship in todays prices would be close to £2.000.000 .

That's a guess as we are not privy to what they Pay. just going on that Half a million in the 1980s as a guide .

and whatever table you buy , you cannot get better slate than Welsh or southern Irish slate , only 5 bolt holes on the side cushions rather than the 6 all round on newer soft slate , but it will stay true better and is much better density .
                    The star table wood used in the frame is not good that's why they spray gold paint over it .
                    they only use better quality wood in the parts that are seen like cushion cappings and the end and sides of the frame .

Are they worth £8500 ...NO WAY :biggrin-new:

You can get Thurstons to make you a table for the same price with steels , and that table would be UK made and not shipped half way round the world and made using slave labour or low wage people , Thurston will be using good quality wood and maybe if they have a spare set a good quality welsh set of slates 2 inch thick .
                    Last edited by Geoff Large; 20 July 2014, 11:12 AM.
                    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

excellent post, thanks geoff

Comment

What a pathetic post! Shows what caliber of a person you are!

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                        he maybe in a bedsit and just wants to make a little one out of matchsticks, don't sound like the kind of lad who wants to calve a real one out with a hammer and chisel.

Comment

What a pathetic post! Shows what caliber of a person you are!
                          i wasn't being offensive hsn and i don't see how it reflects my as you say caliber.
                          so you really are building a full size star table from scratch?

Comment

Geoff, what would be the cost in materials alone for a table of good quality, just curious.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                              Geoff, what would be the cost in materials alone for a table of good quality, just curious.
                              I have not got a clue as I have never made a full size table . but I will guestimate as follows.

it depends what you want to make it out of , walnut , mahogany , oak ,teak , Plywood ? don't laugh the Thurston jubilee has plywood in it's structure and is one of the most rigid tables you can have.

Welsh slate in the 1970's New old stock was £1000 a set compared to italian imported and delivered at £350 per set , I know this because my Uncle used to import the slate from Italy .

Hard wood is going to cost a bit especially if it is of good quality .

I would say on a good quality steel block table made with good wood the materials cost with italian type slate would come to around £2300 with taxes and delivery , the rest will be made up of wood working costs machining , overheads running a full factory to produce such tables .
                              Finished product off the factory floor without profit margins and tax would be close to £5000 , so I would say £7500 to £8000 is the worth for any top make UK made table .
                              Of course you can make one yourself and not have the cost of manufacture but have you the woodwork machinery the planer thicknesser the saw bench the lathe , the band saw .all the long drills , and last but not least the experience to make a table .
                              I have only met one guy who made his own table and he made a very good job of it , but when it came to the rubber and cover part he left that to the professionals .

Now add the costs of advertising and sponsorship to get the tables onto the world tours and you would be adding much more to those costs.

this is why Star tables built in a country of low wages out of low quality wood used on some parts and soft slates cost's £8500 , they are not worth that sort of money but people want them just like footballers want adidas or puma boots or golfers want Ping clubs .

How much do you reckon out of the £8500 is star putting into the sponsorship package ? these tables are sold worldwide not just the UK.

Don't get me wrong the sponsorship is a must if snooker is to survive as in most sports , my own sport that i like to watch is Ice Hockey and they even changed their name to include the sponsor , from the Nottingham Panthers to the GMB Panthers , yes a union pays for sponsorship out of union fee's now that;s wrong is it not ?
                              but using a sports product then that's acceptable until you try and buy that product and find it is highly priced because of the high costs of sponsorship.

when the chinese get round to having a go at supreme for the right to have their tables on the Pool table scene as world used tables on the tour , expect them to be priced at double the costing of the current supreme winner tables which can be bought on average from £695 to £895 coin operated. I think supreme tables are priced at a very reasonable price . at the £695 start price , have a look at the price of a spanish made Sam atlantic for comparison .

Just because the tables are used on TV as a world ranking event it does not make them better than UK craftsmanship .

just for comparison an item I bought off ebay recently is this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/103-US-Pro...item486a118f25 I bought this for my workshop , what a load of crap this is , ply wood veneered oak ,

I also have a real one that was made in the USA like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-H-...vip=true&rt=nc

This is what get's me about chinese products they can make them look good , but on close inspection they are poorly made , even more more worrying is that they have the tool boxes/chest item priced as a buy me now for £599 ? my usa one has steel bottoms in the drawers good quality locks and hinges and hardware , and is made from solid oak every wood piece , and precision made , they are describing the chinese made one as US pro tools , note the clever US at the front implying that is it US made and in the description no mention of ply wood but a subtle veneer mentioned ? the bottom of each drawer is just stapled to the underside , too many tools and the bottoms are going to drop out of it .

They are at the end of the Day a FAKE a copy trying to be the same but falling short by a great margin .

but you get what you pay for and thats the same with anything buy a star table at £8500 but don't expect UK craftsmanship that you would expect from a top UK billiards firm .

Geoff
                              Last edited by Geoff Large; 20 July 2014, 07:07 PM.
                              [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

another quality post from geoff,
                                doing the frame in scaffolding would be a shortcut

Comment

Working...
                                X