My New BCE Westbury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking great Les

rest hooks - if - when - I get my setup, I am currently in the mind not to have any rest hooks and have the rests in racks close at the ends (the plan is to get the modern extending half-butts instead of the fishing-tackle) this will stop the rests bashing the knee boards of the table.
    After all the hard work you will have put in to your table - maybe worth an thought?
    Or maybe due to the amount of use, you may think this is a step too far
    can't wait for the next set of photos
    Last edited by DeanH; 21 October 2014, 09:48 AM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

no matter how tempting it is don't stick a left hook up your sleeve les its bad luck sunshine

Comment

Keep us up to date on the project Les, it's very interesting. You certainly don't do things by half and that will pay off in the end, have you thought about cloths etc, or going with what you know.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

On finishes for wood this is a very good article

http://www.pianopromoproductions.com...all%20Shop.pdf

It is written by a man, in USA, who refinishes pianos. He is a real perfectionist and did some testing of various stains and varnishes. It really would be worth taking a look.
          王可

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            Doing a good job Les, will be worthwhile in the end
            Thank, that's what everyone is telling me. Just finding time is the tough one.

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            looking great Les
            Thanks my wife says this table is staying she is so excited to see it complete.
            rest hooks - if - when - I get my setup, I am currently in the mind not to have any rest hooks and have the rests in racks close at the ends (the plan is to get the modern extending half-butts instead of the fishing-tackle) this will stop the rests bashing the knee boards of the table.
            After all the hard work you will have put in to your table - maybe worth an thought?
            Or maybe due to the amount of use, you may think this is a step too far
            can't wait for the next set of photos
            Not sure about the rests but my gleaming brass hooks are going on. Actually my long rest is an extension rest like you see on TV and no long cue. I have a slide on extension for anyone that plays and does not have their own. The two on the other side hold my Spider Rest and Long Spider Rest.

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
            no matter how tempting it is don't stick a left hook up your sleeve les its bad luck sunshine
            Never heard that one before.

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
            Keep us up to date on the project Les, it's very interesting. You certainly don't do things by half and that will pay off in the end, have you thought about cloths etc, or going with what you know.
            You got that right, I cannot do anything half ass, everything I do is all or nothing.... I think I will go with Strachan 6811 again. Terry has the Hainsworth Preceission on hist table which is very fast but the tables we have to play on are very slow and I think I would have a tough time adjusting.
            Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
            On finishes for wood this is a very good article

http://www.pianopromoproductions.com...all%20Shop.pdf

It is written by a man, in USA, who refinishes pianos. He is a real perfectionist and did some testing of various stains and varnishes. It really would be worth taking a look.
            I will look into it. My kitchen guy seems to have it all under control. They do all my kitchens in my homes and there finish is second to none. He says my table will be in show room condition when it's all done.
            Last edited by lesedwards; 21 October 2014, 04:10 PM.
            " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
            " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
            http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Looking good les and i gotta agree the Mahogany look these days look dated and horrible in my opinion that is, i refurbed a old 5x3 antique table a few years ago and it looked different table after getting rid of the Mahogany Finish and i finished mine in Antique Oak looked stunning.

Gaz.

Comment

Originally Posted by gazza147 View Post
                Looking good les and i gotta agree the Mahogany look these days look dated and horrible in my opinion that is, i refurbed a old 5x3 antique table a few years ago and it looked different table after getting rid of the Mahogany Finish and i finished mine in Antique Oak looked stunning.

Gaz.
                I love the grain but not in natural. I will try and get a photo of the Kutchen drawer I brought home to show my wife the colour I am going with.
                Last edited by lesedwards; 21 October 2014, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Here is the colour I am going with but of course this is on a solid cherry cupboard drawer and I am dealing with Mahagony so he figures it will have a hint more brown in it and some dark spots runing through it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                    Hi Geoff have you ever bought from this company? I thought you had sent me in the right direction but I have filled out their form and submitted it and I have also emailed them and nothing back. I will try and call them tomorrow but when they don't reply to emails I am always worried about ordering anything. I bought nets and tournament rails from Snooker Direct and they will be arriving tomorrow. BCE can send them but they need 3 weeks to get them or make them before shipping.

Comment

Well guys another successfull afternoon. I finished the last of the skirt sections. Tomorrow I am onto the rails.
                      Tonight I am going out for a few frames and relax.

Comment

My New BCE Westbury

looking nice Les
                        can I ask with your kitchen man and what you plan to finish the wood, if the finish is a lacquer type finish then if there is a hit on the surface you don't want a chip which will expose the lighter colour below.
                        if you understand what I mean
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Belt buckles destroy finishes.
                          王可

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                            looking nice Les
                            can I ask with your kitchen man and what you plan to finish the wood, if the finish is a lacquer type finish then if there is a hit on the surface you don't want a chip which will expose the lighter colour below.
                            if you understand what I mean
                            No I think you guys are thinking real heavy high gloss. We are talking like a fine peice of French provincial furniture.

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
                              Hi Geoff have you ever bought from this company? I thought you had sent me in the right direction but I have filled out their form and submitted it and I have also emailed them and nothing back. I will try and call them tomorrow but when they don't reply to emails I am always worried about ordering anything. I bought nets and tournament rails from Snooker Direct and they will be arriving tomorrow. BCE can send them but they need 3 weeks to get them or make them before shipping.
                              No Les.

I just did a search to see if the leathers could be got from anywhere else as Amazon is out of stock , but it is probably the same firm that is listed on amazon
                              First point of call would be BCE themselves if they still exist They used to be called Bristol Coin Equipment many years ago.
                              You can use some of the peradon pocket leathers the extra extra broad bow will fit but ask if the centre pockets have flat backs , but they will not have the logo , but then again you have a print service for leathers at Peradon so they may be able to print them for you , the design of the leather will not have the tabs on though .
                              all the people I have done the BCE leathers for have ordered the leathers themselves from Amazon so they are there when I arrive to do the work .

at the firm I worked for all the fitters used to call the BCE leathers mickey mouse leathers because of the tabs that go over the lugs of the pocket plate before sewing them on , they look like mouse ears. and the original ones where very thin Tan colored leather and did not last more then one month hence Mickey mouse leathers .
                              You may find that the thicker leather on the more modern BCE or peradon leathers will be proud of the cushion capping when fitted , this is Normal as the plate was designed for those thin tan leathers .

My advice is if you intend keeping the BCE table is to get a few sets put by for future use , it may be expensive but try and get a price for 6 sets .
                              As being Canada it will be hard to locate them in the future , and they may sit up and take notice of your emails if you are ordering 6 sets . but bad customer support if they are ignoring your email .
                              Last edited by Geoff Large; 22 October 2014, 12:15 AM.
                              [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Thanks Geoff, we are both in business for ourself and if we don't return emails we are out of business. I think I am just going to order them from BCE then I know I am going to get them. Checkout this link and tell me if any of these look right just in case I have to wait to long for BCE to send them.
                                http://www.snookerdirect.co.uk/acata..._Leathers.html

Comment

Working...
                                X