No announcement yet.

Pocket Tightness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginning players will learn a lot quicker with easy pockets and improve faster, learning to concentrate on cue ball control rather than having to concentrate on just the pot.

Once the player gets to a decent standard, perhaps 70 breaks or is able to clear the line-up then they should 'graduate' to pockets near template. When they get to a 100-break standard they should consider practicing on tighter tables to sharpen themselves up, but shouldn't play constantly on tighter tables as it might sap their confidence a bit.

Quite a few of the top pros started on loose tables.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      Beginning players will learn a lot quicker with easy pockets and improve faster, learning to concentrate on cue ball control rather than having to concentrate on just the pot.

Once the player gets to a decent standard, perhaps 70 breaks or is able to clear the line-up then they should 'graduate' to pockets near template. When they get to a 100-break standard they should consider practicing on tighter tables to sharpen themselves up, but shouldn't play constantly on tighter tables as it might sap their confidence a bit.

Quite a few of the top pros started on loose tables.

Terry
      Don't agree with this statement whatsoever, "you say someone on a 70 break should try near template pockets don't be silly a 70 breaker should be playing on proper template pockets like everyone should regardless of breaks.

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
        Don't agree with this statement whatsoever, "you say someone on a 70 break should try near template pockets don't be silly a 70 breaker should be playing on proper template pockets like everyone should regardless of breaks.
        But oddly enough a lot of top pros started playing on loose tables. I can include all the Canadians in that statement and it was also mentioned by Jimmy White, Alex Higgins and other British pros.

I think it does help a player improve faster and besides not all players have access to tables with templates pockets and you can't get WPBSA templates, only IBSF or an older B&SCC set if a fitter has them.

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          But oddly enough a lot of top pros started playing on loose tables. I can include all the Canadians in that statement and it was also mentioned by Jimmy White, Alex Higgins and other British pros.

I think it does help a player improve faster and besides not all players have access to tables with templates pockets and you can't get WPBSA templates, only IBSF or an older B&SCC set if a fitter has them.

Terry
          I agree 100% with Terry. I just spent a year playing on my table with very tight pockets and a shallow fall and lost all confidence. I talk to Cliff usually once a week and his famous comment "He has never seen a table with too big of pockets" like Terry says you need to work on moving the cue ball around but if your concentration is 100% on the pot because of tight pockets you are fighting a loosing battle. My new table are set at 3-5/8" and take the ball great.
          " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
          " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
          http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Pocket Tightness

to me it don't matter too much when I was playing well I could put em through a needle when I was playing bad barn doors were not big enough,not really applicable to beginners I know.forget templates this is the real world if the pockets are too tight find another table

Comment

My new table measures 8.5 cm at pocket opening which is 3.3 in and I think this is very generous and they take a ball great from all directions including along the cushion. I will take a picture next time am down.

Cheers Ricky

Comment

Originally Posted by Ricky2112 View Post
                My new table measures 8.5 cm at pocket opening which is 3.3 in and I think this is very generous and they take a ball great from all directions including along the cushion. I will take a picture next time am down.

Cheers Ricky
                Damn that's tight Ricky, are you a decent player?

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                  Damn that's tight Ricky, are you a decent player?
                  Yes I will second that. 3.3 that's tighter then world snooker specs.

Comment

Maybe I am measuring at the wrong place, I think they look like buckets, maybe the fall is generous making the play good. am not that good a player now, years ago I hit a 73 break lots of 30-50 breaks but that was 20 years ago. Now a 20 break is good for me. I have problems seeing also which hinders me, bought glasses but can't use them I look straight over the frames lol.
                    Hope now we have our own table I will be able to put some practice in and play a bit better. My mate plays well so I have good competition when playing.

Cheers Ricky

Comment

hi Ricky study this photo in attachment http://gclbilliards.com/open-up-pock...unger-players/

and measure at the same point , you are probably measuring at the rear near to the pocket plate leather

Geoff
                      [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                        hi Ricky study this photo in attachment http://gclbilliards.com/open-up-pock...unger-players/

and measure at the same point , you are probably measuring at the rear near to the pocket plate leather

Geoff
                        Thanks Geoff , yes I am measuring where the two angled cuts in the wood is, that was a good place to measure when fitting cushions so all pockets were equal.
                        I am away for a game now so I will remeasure, I think they are big lol we will see

Cheers Ricky

Comment

As I thought, our pockets are on the generous side 3 3/4 in across where you show Geoff. I am happy with this as it allows us a more attacking game, still easily missable though at our level. Played today table playing lovely.

Thanks for you help much appreciated

Cheers Ricky

Comment

I
                            Originally Posted by Ricky2112 View Post
                            As I thought, our pockets are on the generous side 3 3/4 in across where you show Geoff. I am happy with this as it allows us a more attacking game, still easily missable though at our level. Played today table playing lovely.

Thanks for you help much appreciated

Cheers Ricky
                            Nothing wrong with that. As Cliff always says there is no such thing as to big of pockets. One thing forsure it will produce huge confidence.

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
                              ...As Cliff always says there is no such thing as to big of pockets. ....
                              But big pockets no good really, means you are playing a false game

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                                But big pockets no good really, means you are playing a false game
                                This discussion can go both ways. Some say it gives you false hopes and others say the confidence you gain is well worth it. This game is all about making balls and when your pockets are so tight you become puck shy. You end up with a tentative short jabbing stroke.

Comment

Working...
                                X