6811 T versus Hainsworth Match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6811 T versus Hainsworth Match

Ok, so one of the tables I look after was fitted with a Match cloth a month ago. Everyone said it played faster than the old cloth (some of them aren't too bright) but I thought to myself, yeah, it's an improvement it still isn't much faster than my 2.5yr old 6811T when it's BBI. And this week, after I asked the boss, a fitter turned up and replaced the 6811T with, at my request, another 6811T. After an iron, the balls are floating over the surface, it's lightning quick and much faster then the Match even when new. No, not quick, fast.

The fitter (no name dropping) tells me that he always fits West of England because Strachan use natural teasels whereas Hainsworth use mechanical points to fluff things up to a nap. He thinks this contributes to the cloth losing speed very quickly. He also thinks they are paper thin and mare to stretch, they can tare apparently. I'm getting it all and wondering if it's true. Is it? The Match cloth is slowing down and it's got to last at least another year and half (yikes!). Has anyone else has this experience with the two cloths. I have another table I'd like reclothed soon and need to make an choice. Both fitters do a good job for £370 and the 6811 only costs £10 extra over the Hainsworth.

* Mods, the editor is unavailable and when I used it, it replicated the thread twice. Please fix. Thanks, MB.
    Last edited by Master Blaster; 19 June 2015, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
      Ok, so one of the tables I look after was fitted with a Match cloth a month ago. Everyone said it played faster than the old cloth (some of them aren't too bright) but I thought to myself, yeah, it's an improvement it still isn't much faster than my 2.5yr old 6811T when it's BBI. And this week, after I asked the boss, a fitter turned up and replaced the 6811T with, at my request, another 6811T. After an iron, the balls are floating over the surface, it's lightning quick and much faster then the Match even when new. No, not quick, fast.

The fitter (no name dropping) tells me that he always fits West of England because Strachan use natural teasels whereas Hainsworth use mechanical points to fluff things up to a nap. He thinks this contributes to the cloth losing speed very quickly. He also thinks they are paper thin and mare to stretch, they can tare apparently. I'm getting it all and wondering if it's true. Is it? The Match cloth is slowing down and it's got to last at least another year and half (yikes!). Has anyone else has this experience with the two cloths. I have another table I'd like reclothed soon and need to make an choice. Both fitters do a good job for £370 and the 6811 only costs £10 extra over the Hainsworth.
      Im a bit lost on this price! Was it £370 with or without the cloth because if it was with the cloth that was a good deal but without the cloth would be well expensive.

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
        Im a bit lost on this price! Was it £370 with or without the cloth because if it was with the cloth that was a good deal but without the cloth would be well expensive.
        Cloth and fitting = 370 +VAT (but my businesses are VAT registered so we get all that back). Cloths are around 200 (for a 6811T) I believe and he spent 5hrs fitting it and covering the cushions with no breaks, so 170 is fine. Both jobs are grand and the fitters on the money but the Hainsworth Match cloth is losing speed quickly after just a month.

The fitter who did the 6811T said that fitters only choose the Hainsworth because they can get it cheap and punt it for more than the 6811T. I'm not sure about this. Maybe Geoff Large can help us here please?

Comment

6811 T versus Hainsworth Match

Terry Davison has had different makes of cloths and iirc is on a Hainsworth at the moment.
          TD can you bring us up to date with your cloth history and findings
          Again iirc Geoff has said many times he always uses Strachan unless something else trenuously requested by the customer.
          Last edited by DeanH; 20 June 2015, 11:16 AM.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            Terry Davison has had different makes of cloths and iirc is on a Hainsworth at the moment.
            TD can you bring us up to date with your cloth history and findings
            Again iirc Geoff has said many times he always uses Strachan unless something else trenuously requested by the customer.
            Cheers bud. I think TD had a Precision but moved back to a 6811 T because the club cloths were lower grade than his table so he was struggling on the slower cloths in matches.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
              Cheers bud. I think TD had a Precision but moved back to a 6811 T because the club cloths were lower grade than his table so he was struggling on the slower cloths in matches.
              Just played the Canadian Champs on a Hainsworth Match which was rarely ironed or blocked. They were terribly slow and I couldn't get them up to speed even when I ironed one of them 4 times!

You are correct, I just switched out my Precision for a 6811 Club. It has stayed fairly fast without ironing but remember I have a dehumidifier in my snooker room. If you want a fast cloth that stays that way go for the Precision. Mine lasted 2 years just fine with daily use.
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Used both and also maintained both over the life of the cloth.

For me the Hainsworth I found was better from the start on average to 6811T cloths. By better I mean the cloth was slightly faster and more responsive to spin shots. In comparison I find that 6811T cloths tend to be a little on the slower side after the cloth has been on for a few weeks and takes a while to speed up but then this could be due to slight variations of quality and also the weight of the cloth itself.

However, over time I found that the hainsworth cloth wears far more quickly which is great for speed, however it is more prone to bruise marks or spots on the cloth from screw shots or miscues and this means that innevitably you will end up with a number of minor nicks in the cloth or rips. The 6811T is a far hard wearing cloth that once bedded in plays with a similar speed and responsiveness but with the benefit of taking more abuse and therefore I think is a better choice unless you have the money to replace cloths every 12-18 months.

For me a Hainsworth Match has an average life of 18 months whereas a 6811T can go on and beyond 24 months if maintained well.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                  Used both and also maintained both over the life of the cloth.

For me the Hainsworth I found was better from the start on average to 6811T cloths. By better I mean the cloth was slightly faster and more responsive to spin shots. In comparison I find that 6811T cloths tend to be a little on the slower side after the cloth has been on for a few weeks and takes a while to speed up but then this could be due to slight variations of quality and also the weight of the cloth itself.

However, over time I found that the hainsworth cloth wears far more quickly which is great for speed, however it is more prone to bruise marks or spots on the cloth from screw shots or miscues and this means that innevitably you will end up with a number of minor nicks in the cloth or rips. The 6811T is a far hard wearing cloth that once bedded in plays with a similar speed and responsiveness but with the benefit of taking more abuse and therefore I think is a better choice unless you have the money to replace cloths every 12-18 months.

For me a Hainsworth Match has an average life of 18 months whereas a 6811T can go on and beyond 24 months if maintained well.
                  That seems to be the key to the 6811 T, plenty of brush, block and ironing to keep the speed up. I dunno, it just feels nice on the fingers as well, like a fine suit.

Comment

in my experience the 6811T any day over the match. the Hainsworth after a while tends to leave some cloth fluff thingy all over the table, like the fabrics are breaking down. the 6811T is much better in speed and control, and hey there is a new weight to the 6811T now, it comes in 29oz. my best choice is the 6811T 30oz.

Comment

Originally Posted by drjef28 View Post
                      in my experience the 6811T any day over the match. the Hainsworth after a while tends to leave some cloth fluff thingy all over the table, like the fabrics are breaking down. the 6811T is much better in speed and control, and hey there is a new weight to the 6811T now, it comes in 29oz. my best choice is the 6811T 30oz.
                      Cheers for the info, I'll look into 6811 weight options. I'm going to recommend the 6811T I think to my friend because after just over a month of a couple of hours each day on average, the Match cloth table is beginning to track into all the pockets. This was a real surprise to me but it concurs with your comment. I can't see it lasting a season now. From what Terry says, one either gets a Hainsworth Precision or no Hainsworth at all.
                      Last edited by Master Blaster; 23 June 2015, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X