Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker table lighting - Dextra High-Frequency light

Hi guys,

I recently bought a Wiraka snooker table and will be installing at my home two weeks later. Basically, I have bought all the necessary accessories and now is the time to think about the table light.

As many of you suggested to buy Dextra Duet High-Frequency fluorescent, 2x 5ft fitted end-to-end. May I know which of the following should I buy? 49w or 80w?

Twin Lamp
    OMN228 **TB Omni Surface, 1200x275mm, 2x28w High Efficiency/High Output, Twin Body
    OMN254 **TB Omni Surface, 1200x275mm, 2x54w High Efficiency/High Output, Twin Body
    OMN235 **TB Omni Surface, 1500x275mm, 2x35w High Efficiency/High Output, Twin Body
    OMN249 **TB Omni Surface, 1500x275mm, 2x49w High Efficiency/High Output, Twin Body
    OMN280 **TB Omni Surface, 1500x275mm, 2x80w High Efficiency/High Output, Twin Body

http://dextragroup.co.uk/dextra-ligh.../omni-surface/

Many thanks.

whatever you buy, just do'nt forget to upload few nice pictures from your new table please !!
    this way, we all can enjoy !! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks mate, i will. I'm located in Australia, not sure if they will delivery to here and I just need some tips of which one (49w or 80w) should I buy, or it doesn't really matter?

Comment

have no experience with those bud .
        I saw them at Shockerz website .
        He is also a member of this forum .
        You can send him a pm .
        or waiting until others will respons.

Goodluck with new table and enjoy your game.
        Last edited by Ramon; 9 January 2017, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Really any fluourescent tube units will do. Then you have to consider the colour of light that you want. I find the daylight colour tubes to be the best.

I don't know why people recommend 2 x 5' doubles. I have used 2 x 6' doubles and I could not be happier.

An important consideration is the correct height. Mine are 1.4 metres above the cloth and that works very well.

Also, at risk of stating the obvious, get your table lights on a separate switch so you can kill all the other lights in the room and have only the table lights on when you are playing.
          王可

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
            have no experience with those bud .
            I saw them at Shockerz website .
            He is also a member of this forum .
            You can send him a pm .
            or waiting until others will respons.

Goodluck with new table and enjoy your game.
            Hi abchinghuk

I have sent you a pm with information on it.

Thanks Ramon for the link.
            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

2x 5ft units are perfect. No need for 6ft as its a waste of lighting. If the consoles can spread the light from directly over the spots, over to the side cushions, then I'm sure they can handle the odd foot either end. We have always only used the 5ft's no problem at all.
              Also I would recommend you go down the LED route. Just get an electrician to do the conversion for you. Get either the daylight tubes or cool white. Not as expensive nowadays and much much better.
              Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
              https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Running lighting, these days, is incredibly cheap.
                王可

Comment

Thanks Guy. It looks like to buy these table lights from UK and sending to Australia is not a really good idea because of how fragile these fittings are, most suppliers refuse to do it. My last hope will be the following link as they do post these lights to Australia, now waiting for them to reply.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Profession...zlk0_7OvYMQTCQ

However, I may end up buy these table lights from Australia suppliers but the price will be a lot more.

Many thanks.

Comment

The old club that I used to go to has 35W tubes in these ceiling units and this was very comfortable.
                    Remember the units each have 2 tubes, so you have in total 140W fluorescent wattage which is approximately at least 4-500W of old incandescent bulbs

Anyone with a better conversion of tube to old bulbs let me know please
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Those old coffin shades with a few incandescent lighhtbulbs were dire. They produced so little light but oh so much heat!

Do we have anybody here with experience of playing under LEDs? I never have but wonder if they are bright enough.
                      王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                        Those old coffin shades with a few incandescent lighhtbulbs were dire. They produced so little light but oh so much heat!

Do we have anybody here with experience of playing under LEDs? I never have but wonder if they are bright enough.
                        Philip, I've have a suspended ceiling installed, with 2 rows of 600mm square translucent tiles backlit by LED lighting above the table. So considering the lighting is diffused somewhat, the result is still outstanding in comparison to tungsten. For me it was like having an upgrade in glasses after a visit to the opticians.
                        Highest break to date? 1

Comment

Fair enough.
                          王可

Comment

Originally Posted by djax View Post
                            Philip, I've have a suspended ceiling installed, with 2 rows of 600mm square translucent tiles backlit by LED lighting above the table. So considering the lighting is diffused somewhat, the result is still outstanding in comparison to tungsten. For me it was like having an upgrade in glasses after a visit to the opticians.
                            That sounds good , my experience of working on tables with LED direct light is too bright eyes squinting as I work re-covering the cushions and stretching the bed cloth on .

Defusing behind translucent panels may be the best way to use LED lighting .

What we are trying to do when we try these different lighting methods is to cut down side shadow of egg shape around the ball especially as the ball comes to rest within 6 inches of side or end cushion
                            another problem is reflection of light being used in the ball itself and on shiny polished cushion capping , on TV we can plainly see all the balls have the reflection of the down lighting they use , the brighter the light the brighter the reflection , defusing is one way of cutting back on too much reflective light on the balls while still having a good elimination of those long egg shape ball shadows .

We can all agree these more modern lights such as twin high frequency daylight or LED defused is 100% better than a coffin shade with 100 watt bulbs in .

it is human nature to defend what people have bought , so if someone has 2 x 5 foot twin units they are going to say mine are the best
                            and those who have 2 x 6ft versions also the same , and I bet people using LED units are going to say ours are the best , I know of people even using 4 units .
                            it is all down to the players at the end of the day and by trying different units and getting these into the pubs and clubs , that is the way to find what is acceptable as the best lighting units to use .

my current experience keeping my eyes and ears open around the clubs I visit ,
                            Clubs are now going over to LED , not because of players asking for them , but because it cuts down on lighting electric bills .
                            [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

That was the first thing that struck me Geoff, light was softer on the eye. Yet LED's also show the ball in more relief, making it look sharper. Of course been diffused, it also stops those players using the reflection from the bulbs as an aid for sighting.
                              Highest break to date? 1

Comment

Working...
                              X