Garden Room Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden Room Questions

I have a 5.28m x 4.27m summer house/garden room, so obviously way to small for a snooker table, but am tempted to get a pool table just so I have something to play on :-)

However I was wondering, how do I tell if the floor is strong enough (for an English pool table it will be, but if I wanted to push the boundaries a bit and get a larger American one then its obviously a fair bit heavier)...it is set on concrete with a what appears to be a strong wooden floor and looks fairly professionally done, but in reality I have no idea?

Also, its incredibly hot in there, I'm guessing that isn't great for any sort of table...so is there anything anyone has done to reduce the excessive heat (its wooden, which I think is the issue)?

It's only just big enough for a UK 8 ball 7ft table so go with that. You'll enjoy it more being able to play correctly than being cramped

The floor will be fine if it's concrete with a laminate or tiles over it, the weight of a pool table isn't that great compared to a solid dining table.

As for the humidity in there... Get air con units, de humidifiers and decent blinds for the windows when you want to play...

Sunlight will bleach the cloth over time so make sure it's covered when not in use... Unless you convert it to a proper room.

If it were me, for a garden room I'd get a 7 foot snooker dining table if you can find one in good condition... It will look the part and if you get in touch with a local fitter, they'll bring it up to a decent playing standard for you

Comment

7 foot diner would be ideal. Have you looked at Geoff Large's site?

Where are you?
      王可

Comment

Depends what you want it for really! If you want the best playing table out there you'd go for a Supreme table, absolutely superb to play on.

If you have a wife who wants the table to blend in go with a dinning table one but I wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
          7 foot diner would be ideal. Have you looked at Geoff Large's site?

Where are you?
          I have, I did spot the 8x4 table on there, which was interesting, although it would be pretty cramped in there!

I'm in East London though, which may be a bit far anyway!

Comment

Originally Posted by Triedandtested View Post
            Depends what you want it for really! If you want the best playing table out there you'd go for a Supreme table, absolutely superb to play on.

If you have a wife who wants the table to blend in go with a dinning table one but I wouldn't recommend it.
            This room is simply a 'spare' garden room, we have a dining table in the house, so no need to worry about that, its purely for a (probably) pool table :-)

Comment

Garden Room Questions

Stick a pool table in and see if you use it after a few months. I ended up getting rid of mine and I used to play all the time

Comment

Garden Room Questions

I had a terrible echo in mine Everytime I broke or potted a ball

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                  It's only just big enough for a UK 8 ball 7ft table so go with that. You'll enjoy it more being able to play correctly than being cramped
                  That was my original thought, I've taped up the footprint of 9ft and 8ft (US Style) tables just to see how often I'd be hitting a wall as part of my logic here is that we plan to expand in a couple of years and have plenty of room for a much bigger garden room and/or house expansion (subject to planning permission), so I thought about getting a larger table and just putting up with the annoyance for a couple of years!

The floor will be fine if it's concrete with a laminate or tiles over it, the weight of a pool table isn't that great compared to a solid dining table.
                  Yeah, I'm comfortable with an English pool table, no concerns there, was slightly worried with a larger US one.

As for the humidity in there... Get air con units, de humidifiers and decent blinds for the windows when you want to play...

Sunlight will bleach the cloth over time so make sure it's covered when not in use... Unless you convert it to a proper room.
                  Sounds sensible, not going to convert it to a proper room for now, as we have the bigger project planned further down the line :-)

If it were me, for a garden room I'd get a 7 foot snooker dining table if you can find one in good condition... It will look the part and if you get in touch with a local fitter, they'll bring it up to a decent playing standard for you
                  I'm not worried whether its a diner or not, happy either way on that front, as for the table type itself...I'm very much undecided on that! This is probably a stopgap measure, so happy to get something second hand thats not crazy money, or if I go larger, happy to get something a bit more permanent (even though it won't fit properly for now).

The problem of course is...actually, down the line I could fit a full size snooker table, however I've always been more of a pool player (of sorts)!

I don't really play tournaments these days, so its mainly going to be me and/or with a few friends (who play pool to roughly a similar standard to me), so I was swaying that way, but then again a small English table and moving up to a snooker table in a few years could be a good plan.

In short I can't decide :-(

Comment

Originally Posted by aucott80 View Post
                    I had a terrible echo in mine Everytime I broke or potted a ball
                    Yes, was tempted to get carpet (or at least a mat) and some other bits to try and deaden the noise!

Comment

Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
                      Yes, was tempted to get carpet (or at least a mat) and some other bits to try and deaden the noise!
                      I've got laminated in mine & noise has never been an issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X