Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for 8 x 4 slate table?

I live in the Stirling area.
    The snooker tables in the Dunblane institute, where I used to play, are long gone.
    Now Reardon's has followed Spencer's (where Stephen Hendry used to practice) into history and we have an almost complete void of tables.
    Therefore, I have cleared my 14 x 20 ft garage of stuff (no easy task) and successfully negotiated with the relevant stakeholders that it is to become a snooker garage.

I'd quite happily get a good quality second hand one and pay the going rate. However, the usual 2nd hand generalist sites don't give me 100% confidence and require me to book an unknown quality of delivery service.

Does anyone have any tips for how to make it a success, where to look, who can help?

Originally Posted by Bitwixtandbetween View Post
    I live in the Stirling area.
    The snooker tables in the Dunblane institute, where I used to play, are long gone.
    Now Reardon's has followed Spencer's (where Stephen Hendry used to practice) into history and we have an almost complete void of tables.
    Therefore, I have cleared my 14 x 20 ft garage of stuff (no easy task) and successfully negotiated with the relevant stakeholders that it is to become a snooker garage.

I'd quite happily get a good quality second hand one and pay the going rate. However, the usual 2nd hand generalist sites don't give me 100% confidence and require me to book an unknown quality of delivery service.

Does anyone have any tips for how to make it a success, where to look, who can help?
    Ooft so close to a ten by five sized room.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

what size you want? 9ft or 10ft

Comment

I think 8 x 4 is perfect. 9ft seems to be 4 foot 6 wide, which might mean the odd obstructed shot.

Comment

That's one big mofo garage!

Comment

8ft is ideal size. However 9ft is doable if you can accept the odd occasion when a shot may be a bit tight. You are 6 inches short on width but plenty length for 9ft table. It would be a better playing experience on a 9ft table given the bigger area

Comment

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I would say, as you seem to have decided on an 8' table, get one. I am sure the combined genius of the forum can find you one from a good supplier.

Before you start ordering the table, think about what you need in the garage to convert it into a usable room. You need to get the floor as close to dead level as you can. This might be the time to think about getting insulation in the floor. I also recommend a power point in the floor, under the table, so you can use a heater without having wires trailing. You might want to insulate and/or plaster the walls and that will take a bit off the internal dimensions.

Think about the lighting- the specific lighting for the table during play and the background lighting. To do the job properly you need both and they should be switched separately. That also brings in the consideration of what you are going to do about the ceiling. Think finish and, again, insulation.

It saves a lot of work, and expense, to think things through before you start!
              王可

Comment

If you are after an 8 ft table there is a few things that you should need to know , as not all 8 fts are built the same

look for 6 legged tables and not a 4 legged one , 8 ft is large span of slate and will dip in the middle if not properly supported .
                by having 6 legs you can adjust the center of the table by the normal shimming under legs to lift the dip out .
                read this report http://gclbilliards.com/8ft-x-4ft-so...able-for-sale/

look for three section slate beds at least 1 inch 1.5 inch thick with threaded bolt lugs set in the slate sections for the cushion bolts
                there are many 8 ft tables with just wood screw on cushions these are not good .
                you should look for tables like these http://gclbilliards.com/wanted-8ft-p...le-for-client/

make sure the cushions can be re-covered by having cushion retaining slips in the cushions .
                you do not want nailed on or screw on blocks they are not good table if they do not have a cushion cloth slip .
                http://gclbilliards.com/6ft-snooker-...in-this-table/

look for built in solid not loose pocket plates like two pin type and not the above finger of brass type people call billiard top plates
                and lastly at least 2 inch ball size .
                you can get some with 1.7/8th balls on them .

you can pick up some bargains with 4 legs and dipped slates and wood screw on cushions with nailed or screw on blocks , but after trying to play on these tables it will not be so much of a bargain that you thought you have bought .
                and a nasty surprise if you ever get a Billiards fitter into re-cover who if honest will inform you that you have purchased a lemon .
                and then give you the advice above , better to have a informed choice rather than just blindly go out and buy one .

I am just showing the type of better made tables that I would go for .
                based on play and fitting and keeping level and easy to re-cover and maintain .
                Last edited by Geoff Large; 31 August 2017, 01:08 PM.
                [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

That honey oak table looks wonderful, Geoff. The site says it is reserved for a customer. Is it, or is it for sale?

Hope you are keeping busy.
                  王可

Comment

Also take in to account that on an 8ft table 10 reds maximum to play with too.

Even with 10 reds you'll find at times it's very difficult to get any space on the table around the black spot as the balls become very cluttered very quickly rendering positional play Very annoying at times.

Personally if it was me & I couldn't at least fit a 10ft in there I'd go down either the 9 ball pool table route or UK pool table route.

Comment

Cheers Philip. The floor is not level it descends slightly from what will be baulk to black end. I was hopeful that some shimmies would level out.
                      I'll look into floor options pre-purchase. Good point about the power point to avoid wires.

Comment

Thanks Geoff. Great to get the benefit of your experience

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                          That honey oak table looks wonderful, Geoff. The site says it is reserved for a customer. Is it, or is it for sale?

Hope you are keeping busy.
                          This was a post from 2014 Phil , it sold very quick and is also situated in a garage with a Porsche 911 for company .
                          they do not make them like that anymore .
                          most go down the 4 leg route to save money .
                          [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Once you have 10 posts, send me a PM if you want any detailed advice. I converted a barn into a snooker room here.
                            王可

Comment

Originally Posted by Triedandtested View Post
                              Also take in to account that on an 8ft table 10 reds maximum to play with too.

Even with 10 reds you'll find at times it's very difficult to get any space on the table around the black spot as the balls become very cluttered very quickly rendering positional play Very annoying at times.

Personally if it was me & I couldn't at least fit a 10ft in there I'd go down either the 9 ball pool table route or UK pool table route.
                              I play regularly at friends who has a ten footer in just a slightly smaller room. He did have a 8 foot previous. No comparison, for the sake of on rare occasions using a 54" cue the game is and his game is so much better - go for at least 9 foot table. On another note, using what is an out building, I cannot emphasize enough, lagging out any roof area, providing a constant minor heat source (for the room, over winter) and a humidifier. One last possible source of problem being a garage is of course, the door?
                              Highest break to date? 1

Comment

Working...
                              X