Frustating table- help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Sea Chief View Post
    How can anyone post a pic here, if its only 200kb limit? I cant open a bucketpic site account.. it just takes soo long/ to then get from there to here to there- it makes me go insane.
    PM sent

but you can use ImgBB or TinyPic without registering, upload a photo and capture the sharing/forum code and paste into the TSF post

don't use the TSF Attachment function, notoriously bad to manage
    Last edited by DeanH; 27 January 2018, 06:01 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

How can anyone post a pic here, if its only 200kb limit? I cant open a bucketpic site account.. it just takes soo long/ to then get from there to here to there- it makes me go insane.
      Took me less than say 3 minutes to create an account upload the pic to there, then on to here, get going

Comment

Here is what I would do, given what you have said... presumably the cloth is stretched sufficiently.

• Make sure you don't have a trimmed down bristle brush. As these ruin the nap!

Try this!!!

• Vacuum table brushes.

• Brush tops and cushion face.

• Vacuum cushions and bed cloth (always vacuum very lightly).

• Brush bed cloth.

• Vacuum bed cloth for a final time.

• Spray playing surface with table cloth cleaner or starch.

• Wipe down cushions and noses.

• Wrap a microfiber cloth around table brush and block the bed cloth.

• Use your napping block to restore nap.

• Iron table twice. Starting on opposite side on second run, to ensure both halves of table receive same amount of heat.

• Clean ball sets prior to use.

This will I am pretty sure solve your problems.
        Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
        https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          yep we all got that

you are on 8 posts, need 10 and a bit of patience for the function to arrive

at the club I go to, we have three tables and one is locally called the billiard table and it had really tight pockets (no one really wanted to play on it).
          We recently contracted with Thurstons to do the maintenance and they looked at the rails and said to not bother trying to open them up any more as the wood wont take it anymore (it seems they had already been opened up over the years). So we now have new rails and the openings and the drops are perfect and there is a queue often to use it now
          Hey Dean, do you know how much they charge for new rails? We have a similar table at my club that would require lots of work and Geoff Large mentioned possible rails change but I didn't ask prices as doubt my club would be interested.

Comment

Its been on 20 years- but no-one's played on it.. for 20 years.. cos table's so annoying. Absolute couldn't believe the VG condition of it. Another factor ruled out then.

What I need, idealy, is a fitter's opinion. I think maybe all else is guesswork. Even Terry has drawn a blank, & with all the fab info he's emailed me, & his wealth of knowledge. I think only a fitter could answer the Q now tbh.. but all opinions considered nevertheless.

Appreciated, SC
            Are you saying the cloth is 20 years old? Even if no-one is playing on it, 20 years seems a very long time for the cloth to be on.

Geoff Large on here is a table fitter, I'm sure he'd know if you PM him.

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
              yep we all got that

you are on 8 posts, need 10 and a bit of patience for the function to arrive

at the club I go to, we have three tables and one is locally called the billiard table and it had really tight pockets (no one really wanted to play on it).
              We recently contracted with Thurstons to do the maintenance and they looked at the rails and said to not bother trying to open them up any more as the wood wont take it anymore (it seems they had already been opened up over the years). So we now have new rails and the openings and the drops are perfect and there is a queue often to use it now
              Hey Dean, do you know how much they charge for new rails? We have a similar table at my club that would require lots of work and Geoff Large mentioned possible rails change but I didn't ask prices as doubt my club would be interested.
              Sorry don't know as our club now has a maintenance contract with Thurston where monthly payments through the year covers all aspects needed for the three tables. So far last year one table was reclothed (usually one table a year gets done, two had new rails, and all three had new nets and duet type lights.

Comment

Sorry don't know as our club now has a maintenance contract with Thurston where monthly payments through the year covers all aspects needed for the three tables. So far last year one table was reclothed (usually one table a year gets done, two had new rails, and all three had new nets and duet type lights.
                Cheers Dean, sounds an interesting idea. Might look in to it and see what sort of fee they charge.

Comment

Frustating table- help.

did hear a figure early last year but I cant remember but can ask
                  Last edited by DeanH; 27 January 2018, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Frustating table- help.

have asked the manager he is going to find out but remember we are down south so distance may be a factor

Comment

have asked the manager he is going to find out but remember we are down south so distance may be a factor
                      Cheers Dean, we are Midlands based so less distance for them to travel. The new lights sounds a good idea, we have the canopy still.

Comment

Frustating table- help.

took a bit of getting used to the new lights but now would not have the old coffins back

Comment

here are a couple of images from Sea Chief

also, I am going to move this thread to the Tables sub-forum; hopefully our resident table fitters may see it then

Comment

Many thanks Dean- just seen these.

You might just be able to see (look at shadow under ball) the new drop points filed fwd.

Actually if you continue the cushion line dismissing the jaw curve.. the ball seems to struggle to have enough room, maybe, to pot? this is how it does play, it seems, this nr-to-cushion shot nigh on impossible to pot.

Anyone see anything untoward in these pics re the cushions?

Comment

Originally Posted by inevermissblue View Post
                              Here is what I would do, given what you have said... presumably the cloth is stretched sufficiently.

• Make sure you don't have a trimmed down bristle brush. As these ruin the nap!

Try this!!!

• Vacuum table brushes.

• Brush tops and cushion face.

• Vacuum cushions and bed cloth (always vacuum very lightly).

• Brush bed cloth.

• Vacuum bed cloth for a final time.

• Spray playing surface with table cloth cleaner or starch.

• Wipe down cushions and noses.

• Wrap a microfiber cloth around table brush and block the bed cloth.

• Use your napping block to restore nap.

• Iron table twice. Starting on opposite side on second run, to ensure both halves of table receive same amount of heat.

• Clean ball sets prior to use.

This will I am pretty sure solve your problems.
                              Hi invernimble,

thanks for the ideas.. but actually the fitter serviced the bed. Big brushings, then ironed it (huge thing size of a buick) twice. It played a bit faster for a while.. now its indistiguishable from as it was before/ as are the pockets' playability.

It is unoquivacally the cushions that are the problem, that much has been established. But what exactly, is proving nigh on impossible to ascertain.. even for that particular fitter it seems.

Comment

If it was obvious for any Co &/ or fitter to state that 'being a billiards table you'll never be able to sort it due to X or Y however much you try'.. why I wonder would Absolute not say this?

We had both the BCE guy out & Absolute out, seperate visits, & neither said anything other than 'oh yes we can open these up, perfectly easy job'. Well it isn't difficult to physically open them up it seems, a 2 hr job no more, so have we been hoodwinked?

Comment

Working...
                                X