Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table heating

Hi !

My concern is about the fact that on the tables used in pro tournaments, we can see the number ''45'' requested on the little screen at the ''black'' end of the table. A short time ago, we were even seeing ''50'' if I remember well. Is it really in Celsius? It's makes no sense to me: It seems way too hot in my humble opinion ! Especially since I have read that Geoff wisely suggest that too much heat will provoke irreversible damages to the slate and to some pieces of the wood structure.

Does somebody knows about this intriguing ''45'' ??

Also, what is the usual temperature in the whole arenas where the pro tournaments are played ? Should'n it be controlled to 21-22 Celsius to be comfortable ? I have sometime seen Ronnie warming his hands around a cup of hot drink during a match. It was looking chilly out there.

A temperature of 21 to 23 Celsius on the top of the playing surface is suggested to be ideal by Mr. Pete Godwin in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo9T-bMdTh0 (between 13:25 to 13:45).

To get to that 21-22 degrees on the top of the playing surface of my table, I do settle my new heating device at 27 Celsius under the slate. It's OK, the table is slightly faster.

The damage by heat is not irreversible , they would require hand floating again if they distort from too much heat .

some slates are less likely to warp than others , for instance welsh slate is more dense and tightly grained and packed sediment when the slate is formed under pressure with hardly any air pockets in ,

I find soft Chinese or Italian and Brazilian slate with loose powdery finish are the ones you should be careful with , this type of slate can suffer from fine sediment layers that can separate with heat .

I did one the other week that had suffered from this .

modern heating is supplied by heat pads rather than tubes and gives a much more spread heat effect , tube heaters tend to place the heat in one center spot , and it is this spot that you have problems with .

my local club used to have a convector open element heater under the end black pink spot area , you could fry an egg on that slate , that spot area in the slate is now proud of the surrounding slate and now effects ball roll off on a diagonal shot from black corner to a diagonal shot to opposite middle middle .
    [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Table heating

the temp display used to be 50 (C) then we noticed a few years ago it went down to 40 for a short time then bounced back to 45 and seems to have stuck.
      this is obviously the setting required for the system they use to get the cloth to 21-22.
      each system would require their own setting to get the required temp.
      tubes, pads or whatever; distance from bottom of the slates all contribute to different settings
      I am sure the old 4" cast iron/brass oil pipes had a different setting to get the required cloth temp

Arenas are huge areas to heat and sometimes can be cold. I recall Newport being cold in the arena but yesterday in motorpoint was comfortable. (Always down to spending the money and turning the heating up )
      Other venues have trouble with high humidity (some in far east) and some players hating it.
      Last edited by DeanH; 2 March 2018, 09:35 AM.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
        The damage by heat is not irreversible , they would require hand floating again if they distort from too much heat .

some slates are less likely to warp than others , for instance welsh slate is more dense and tightly grained and packed sediment when the slate is formed under pressure with hardly any air pockets in ,

I find soft Chinese or Italian and Brazilian slate with loose powdery finish are the ones you should be careful with , this type of slate can suffer from fine sediment layers that can separate with heat .

I did one the other week that had suffered from this .

modern heating is supplied by heat pads rather than tubes and gives a much more spread heat effect , tube heaters tend to place the heat in one center spot , and it is this spot that you have problems with .

my local club used to have a convector open element heater under the end black pink spot area , you could fry an egg on that slate , that spot area in the slate is now proud of the surrounding slate and now effects ball roll off on a diagonal shot from black corner to a diagonal shot to opposite middle middle .
        Thanks Geoff !

I understand that it can be repaired but, Oh my god, it's so not desirable ! A job for an expert ! It's better to be very careful whit the heating.

My heating comes from electrics ceramics rods (42 inchs long) provided by Shender . 15 rods per table placed at roughly 4 inches under the slate controlled by an electronic device.

I also fix some panels of styrofoam insulation (¾'' thick) to create a closed space of roughly 8 inches high to keep the heat mostly trapped under the slate.

Comment

Thanks DeanH !

As long as the main goal is still to get to 21-22(C) on the cloth, I understand. But if it needs to settle the device to 45(C) for that, it must be really damp and chilly in some arenas.

Comment

Originally Posted by YSCDan View Post
            Thanks DeanH !

As long as the main goal is still to get to 21-22(C) on the cloth, I understand. But if it needs to settle the device to 45(C) for that, it must be really damp and chilly in some arenas.
            Newport never seemed to warm up, Cardiff is very comfortable; so much so we have fauna flying around our heads :biggrin:

Comment

Yeah ! I saw a very funny scene at The Masters this year when Shaun Murphy had to fight whit a wasp. It was not chilly enough to freeze it.

Comment

It chased him twice round the table

Comment

He did encourage the attack by jumping around........

Comment

Table heating

I think he said in interview he is s*** scared of them.
                    same here!

Comment

I'd have been scared if the whale that is Murphy was jumping around near me, lol

Comment

I'll Have this heating. The number is the degrees in Celcius and it is measured directly on the wires. So the wires become 45 degrees (warm to the touch). The slate and the cloth never gets this warm.

Comment

OK ! That would explain the ''45''. The senser that I installed is a wire taped directly under the slate but a bit away from the rods. Thanks !

Comment

Working...
                          X