X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djax
    replied
    Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
    Djax, mine is a barn conversion. Outbuildingd seem to lend themselves to the purpose. They are good aren't they?
    Agree philip, barns tend to be large spaces with solid walls and importantly solid flooring. Good ceiling hight also, that allowed me to install a suspended ceiling incorporating the LED lighting. No light for me now to hit with the cue. Couple of drawbacks though? Barns are usually difficult to heat, have also had to plumb, for heating, toilet kitchen etc. Small point, I always have to lock up the house when using the table (wouldn't know if anyone has come) Finally, I don't think I use the table as much as I intended, with it not been in the house.

Leave a comment:

• djax
    replied
    Originally Posted by Carl877 View Post
    Thanks i do have a heater in there and a dehumidifier and air conditioning building was finished in april and table installed few weeks later. Humidity is 57 in there this morning and temp 20.does ironing really increase the speed alot.

Anyone near Nottinghamshire have an iron i could borrow. I cant really buy one till next month.and i still think the cloth will have to be changed

Look at it like this? You have spent a decent amount of cash already. For the sake of another £200, finish the project off correctly. And yes it does make a noticeable difference. Just look at curling and the way they smooth the pathway for the stone. It's always a pleasure getting down to break off, on a freshly ironed table.

Leave a comment:

• philip in china
    replied
    The one I used actually didn't have a steam facility. I rather fancy I was given it, for that reason. I left it with the table when I left China. Of course I brought the table iron out with me to use on my table here.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    NO WATER!
    and ensure it has not scale in it
    and the heat plate has not scale and burn marks on it.

dry only and not that hot, starting low and going hotter; is better than starting high going low!

Leave a comment:

• Carl877
    replied
    Haha. Should i use the iron with water in or no water

Leave a comment:

• philip in china
    replied
    Just use a normal clothes iron until you can afford a table iron. Test it on a bit of cloth first to see that it isn't too hot.

Warning! Don't let your wife/GF/squaw see you ironing the table. She might realise that you can iron.

Leave a comment:

• Carl877
    replied
    Thanks i do have a heater in there and a dehumidifier and air conditioning building was finished in april and table installed few weeks later. Humidity is 57 in there this morning and temp 20.does ironing really increase the speed alot.

Anyone near Nottinghamshire have an iron i could borrow. I cant really buy one till next month.and i still think the cloth will have to be changed

Leave a comment:

• philip in china
    replied
    Djax, mine is a barn conversion. Outbuildingd seem to lend themselves to the purpose. They are good aren't they?

Leave a comment:

• philip in china
    replied
    Humidity in my snooker room is a bit higher than I would like, but I try to keep it down a bit with the AC unit.

I use 6811 on my table and it is a very satisfactory cloth. I need to change it, soon, and shall probably replace it with another 6811.

I do iron my cloth very frequently. That undoubtedly helps a lot. I have a brush it, block it, iron it ritual. I seldom miss out any of the thress stages as each serves a different purpose.

For ironing I have a Taiwanese made iron which I bought when I was still in China. I have been using that for several years, now, and it has always provided unimpeachable service. The thermostat is accurate and dependable. Before I got that I used a small domestic iron. It was adequate. The problems were that being so small it was a slow process. Also as it lacked weight I needed to press down hard to get a good effect. I had a long extension cord, so was able to iron wth the thing plugged in. Otherwise it would have been necessary to stop multiple times to reheat the iron. Certainly if you do not, yet, have a table iron, then a domestic iron is to be preferred over no ironing.

Have you just built your snooker room?Members with more knowledge of the building industry than I will probably correct me if I am wrong, but in my experience newly built rooms are often drying out for quite a period after construction. Obviously this has a knock on effect on relative humidity. You might be well advised to keep an eye on that. A hygrometer is a very cheap purchase. For the integrity of the building don't be tempted to dry it out too quickly by artificial means. Just let it settle down naturally.

The room looks excellent. Over time you will add a few things which will break up the basic austerity in appearance. Such things will also deaden the acoustics a bit. I see a cue under your table. A wall rack or two, as needed, would be a useful addition. I also have a framed copy of the rules of snooker. I got it framed to match the table.

Now just get in there and use it! I wish you many happy hours of playing.

Have

Leave a comment:

• djax
    replied
    Hope you have some for of heating in there? Cold is the killer, for a table. My room is part of a converted stable, installed a contained heating system based on boiler you find in static homes. It gets switched on sometime October and stays on until spring keeping the room around 15c. When playing at very cold times heating gets turned up, otherwise it would be too cold to use. I also have a dehumidifier, though tend not to use it? I find ironing the table just before using to be more effective, in order to have the table running "quick" Don't fret humidity, protect the cushions and cloth against the cold. Brush, block and iron regularly to avoid having the table play slow.

Leave a comment:

• fkhan
    replied
    Originally Posted by Carl877 View Post
    What wpuld you class as high humidity
    I read 40-50 is the range on some thread here. Anything above is high.

Leave a comment:

• Carl877
    replied
    Yeah next stage get some pictures up once i get an iron

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    nope, not jealous at all!

lovely room

of course you need the "dogs playing pool" picture on the wall to complete it

Leave a comment:

• Carl877
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Carl877
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X