Snooker Table Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker Table Lighting

Hi. I'm getting a snooker room built by way of a large extension on the back of the house, something I've wanted virtually all my life. However, being a married bloke I have to compromise with the wife as she wants an orangery type affair dontcha know. This involves a 4m x 2m roof lantern type thing sitting over where the table will be positioned. It's something her fanny of an architect came up with and she seems more wedded to the idea than she is to me. It can be fitted with blinds so blocking out the light isn't a problem, but lighting for the table is.

So my question is, does anyone know of a way of providing good lighting for the table that doesn't involve a centrally placed light or lights, as these would hang where this poxy roof lantern is designed to go? Are there any forms of side lighting that would work that anyone has come across? Thanks very much.

Originally Posted by neilalex View Post
    Hi. I'm getting a snooker room built by way of a large extension on the back of the house, something I've wanted virtually all my life. However, being a married bloke I have to compromise with the wife as she wants an orangery type affair dontcha know. This involves a 4m x 2m roof lantern type thing sitting over where the table will be positioned. It's something her fanny of an architect came up with and she seems more wedded to the idea than she is to me. It can be fitted with blinds so blocking out the light isn't a problem, but lighting for the table is.

So my question is, does anyone know of a way of providing good lighting for the table that doesn't involve a centrally placed light or lights, as these would hang where this poxy roof lantern is designed to go? Are there any forms of side lighting that would work that anyone has come across? Thanks very much.
    A possible divorce, sounds the less expensive option?
    Highest break to date? 1

Comment

It did occur to me. I also noted the depth of the footings.

Comment

Marriage is like a game of cards. You start with 2 hearts and a diamond and end up wishing you had a club and a spade.

Can't you just add the snooker lighting as well as the nonsense?
        王可

Comment

Originally Posted by djax View Post
          A possible divorce, sounds the less expensive option?
          Seriously though. I have 15 adjustable spots above my table, maybe a solution?
          Highest break to date? 1

Comment

I've got 6 spots on my table.
            王可

Comment

Originally Posted by djax View Post
              Seriously though. I have 15 adjustable spots above my table, maybe a solution?
              How about spots, suspended by a string of wire? You often see similar designs in retail units.
              Highest break to date? 1

Comment

djax and philip in China - many thanks for your replies. are the spots directly over the table or angled towards it? My problem essentially is that the opening directly over the table, as the drawings stand is marginally bigger than the table itself.

Comment

Trouble with spots shining on the table from an angle is that they cast shadows of you as you play. They also cast shadows from the balls. Undoubtedly the best system is direct overhead lighting.
                  王可

Comment

Tell the wife it's a snooker room and not whatever she thinks it is lol

Comment

Yes, hadn't thought of that. I suppose what I envisaged is a bank of angled lights on either side, but that still might cause problems. i'll try and test it out somehow to get an idea. Thanks again.

Comment

If you're the sort of person whose gonna be frustrated with a compromised playing experience, I'd bin the snooker table idea off...

The Roof Lanterns do look class in a big space, so can't be to distraught at her indoors.

Anything other than overhead lighting isn't worth the investment.

Why not have a pair of smaller roof lanterns
                        either side of your fixed table light?

That would look class

Comment

Originally Posted by neilalex View Post
                          djax and philip in China - many thanks for your replies. are the spots directly over the table or angled towards it? My problem essentially is that the opening directly over the table, as the drawings stand is marginally bigger than the table itself.
                          The spots are angled. Only problem though was getting an even light spread. Plenty bright enough but patchy. In the end I resorted to 5 LED flat panels fitted into the suspended ceiling. If I was doing it again, I would be looking at larger spots, for a better spread.
                          Highest break to date? 1

Comment

Thanks, joking apart i see her point with the roof lanterns. I'll see if I can compromise along the lines of what you've suggested. It would seem from the replies that there is simply too much risk in not having the lighting overhead in the conventional way.

Comment

there is a TSF member selling a Star lighting units, don't know how big they are but if they are slim enough they could work for you?

Also, ensure you lay down the law with the missus that the underside of the table is not for her storage! :wink:
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X