Steel block cushions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel block cushions.

I'm looking into getting a full size table at the moment.

I've spoken to a guy at FC Snooker in Preston today and their tables come with steel block cushions as standard and they were singing the praises of these.

Question is how much better than 'normal' cushions are these?

Must say the guy seemed to be very knowledgable and helpful but does anyone on here have any experience with this company?

Cheers

Dave.

Best thing might be to try one yourself if they have one already set up in a shop or showroom.

Not sure if these are used in the proffessional ranking tournaments - it might be a bad sign if not, as you would have to ask why not, and they would be 'untested'..
    "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Steel blocks are used on the TV tables, have been for a long time, and the pros I've met have them in their practice tables as well. It's safe to say they're regarded as better than ordinary wooden cushions, but I've never (knowingly at least) played on a steel block table myself, so couldn't say how much better.

Comment

Haven't dealt with the company so can't help out there. I have played on steel block cushions before, they are a bit different to normal cushions but then the rubber on cushions can vary in age and wear too so there isn't really a standard to compare it to.

Steel block basically give a firmer bounce than any wooden cushion rail would. They are usually very consistant though, you'll get the same bounce anywhere on the cushion, with standard cushions you can sometimes get a dead bounce or they can slide or straighten up on certain areas. Given the choice I'd invest in the steel blocks, they will last you years and will play so much easier as you don't have to hit the balls so hard to get position etc.

Comment

cueman, yes you are right of course, good steel block cushions make the best of the response from the rubber used, if properly set up - sadly, the superior technology though sound, can be unreliable if the fitter does not understand how to fit them properly.
          Last edited by moglet; 8 October 2008, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Good info on this page,
            FC Snooker are a reliable company, very good.

Comment

steel block are the way to go if you can - they are often expensive though - i like the titan corinthian myself.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                steel block are the way to go if you can - they are often expensive though - i like the titan corinthian myself.
                It is only a lump of steel after all, some are thicker and heavier but few manage to anchor the steel to the slate securely, silly washers, slots (maybe) and little thought for the dynamic nature of the beast. A well constructed and well fitted all wood cushion will beat a badly designed and badly fitted steel block assembly. Maybe obvious, but some folk are really disappointed with the results from an upgrade simply because the job hasn't been done properly.

Comment

yes of course - you need to choose tables carefully.
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Yes steel block cushions are the business. However you get steel block cushions and you get `Chinese` imported steel block cushions which are crap. This is what you will get from FC Snooker unless you pay extra for British made ones. Text me a contact number to 07737530727 and I`ll be happy to help you.

Comment

Originally Posted by tivoli147 View Post
                      Yes steel block cushions are the business. However you get steel block cushions and you get `Chinese` imported steel block cushions which are crap. This is what you will get from FC Snooker unless you pay extra for British made ones. Text me a contact number to 07737530727 and I`ll be happy to help you.
                      you won`t get better than a original " burroughs & watts " victorian steel block table, that is set up properley, and will probabley still be good in another hundred years time, if not two hundred years

Comment

There seem to be quite a few 6 x 12 steel block cushion tables available through this site...

http://www.snooker.org/mpl/ForSale/

=o)

Noel

I wish I had the space and money... :snooker:

Comment

I practice usually on a regular cushion, with old cloth, because it is cheaper, but I play with someone else usually on a steel block Riley with silver legs, and 6811 new cloth. It is like a different game, because the cushion is so fast and cloth is fast, too.
                          I can see why it is perferred, since I do not really need to hit the ball hard at all. Liek when I need to play position on a red off the black cushion, I only have to liglty tab at the ball while on my practice table, i need to stroke it much more.
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                            I practice usually on a regular cushion, with old cloth, because it is cheaper, but I play with someone else usually on a steel block Riley with silver legs, and 6811 new cloth. It is like a different game, because the cushion is so fast and cloth is fast, too.
                            I can see why it is perferred, since I do not really need to hit the ball hard at all. Liek when I need to play position on a red off the black cushion, I only have to liglty tab at the ball while on my practice table, i need to stroke it much more.
                            Maybe you need a couple of different cues PJ ?

=o)

Noel

Comment

Originally Posted by noel View Post
                              Maybe you need a couple of different cues PJ ?

=o)

Noel
                              Well, I usually just change the tip. Screw on tips are real handy.
                              Last edited by poolqjunkie; 8 October 2008, 05:19 PM.
                              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                              X