Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New rubber without changing the old cloth on the cushion possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rubber without changing the old cloth on the cushion possible?

Hi,
    Recently, my club has changed the rubber on the cushions of a table. However, the cloth covering the cushion is the same old cloth, with the wore off marks along the edge of the cushion at the exact same places.
    Is it possible to change the rubber of the cushions without replacing the old cloth wrapping the rubber?
    Someone told me that the rubbers were not actually changed. I do not know, since the cushions were taken back somewhere to have the job done so no one really saw what happened.
    Thank you.
    www.AuroraCues.com

we just had our table in the club done new cloth new cusions and new rubbers but he didnt know until he took the cusions of if he could do the job there and then or take them away as it was he was able to do the job there and then . but i would say you would be able to re rubber the cushion then put the old cloth back on just the same as putting new on.

Comment

I don`t think that it would be possible to do so. I really can`t see the benefit other than saving 6 cushion cloth strips ( £ 30 - £ 40). The amount of hassle involved in trying to fit and shape the rubbers this way would far outway the cost saving. If it were possible I wouldn`t even tru it. I`ve been doing tables for 18 years.

Comment

senga147, I agree, as we should all know when we fit a new cushion cloth we have to start with more cloth than is necessary - simply to be able to tension it properly. Refitting a used cloth that has had all excess trimmed off it leaves insufficient cloth to "get hold of" for a refit. What a potty idea to replace the rubber without fitting new cloth.

Comment

Looks like the fitter has pulled a flanker and not fitted new rubbers at all. Tisk tisk

Comment

Thank you. I did not want to accuse anyone or anything until hearing from those who knows. Not only were the cloth used, but it was fitted perfectly with all the old worn off mark at the exact places where they should be (i.e. the line along the edges of the rail is worn off, and around the curved corners.)
            However, there was a dead spot on the cushion whereas the cushion appeared a bit round rather than with the sharp edges, is now normal.
            Perhaps there is a way to take that away without changing the rubber?
            Thank you.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

The dead spot could have been due to a missing rail bolt. If he can replace rubbbers, saving the cloth and do it in the same time as it would take to fit normally, I`d like to see it done. If it is possible and takes double the time there is no point in doing it anyway.

If your going to the bother and expense of having new rubbers fitted, why scrimp and not have the cloth on bed and cushions changed. Seems a bit foolish to me.

Comment

Originally Posted by senga147 View Post
                The dead spot could have been due to a missing rail bolt. If he can replace rubbbers, saving the cloth and do it in the same time as it would take to fit normally, I`d like to see it done. If it is possible and takes double the time there is no point in doing it anyway.

If your going to the bother and expense of having new rubbers fitted, why scrimp and not have the cloth on bed and cushions changed. Seems a bit foolish to me.
                Well, it is not my table. The club had this table that is quite old, they get complains a lot about the dead rail, so they decided to change the rail. But the owner did not want to spend the money to change the cloth as well. It was quoted 250 pounds to do the rails. The installer took all the railings home, and returned them in about two weeks. The bolts were not missing. The dead portion looked a bit different than the rest of the rail. It is a bit more round at the edges, whiel the remaining portion of the rail has the sharp edges.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

we had the tables done in the club last year inc new cushion rubber,he took the cushions away and fitted some temp cushions for a couple of days,this is the way it should be done i am told

Comment

In one of the tables in our club, the top cushion has part of it where it makes a loud 'thud' noise. You roll the cue ball on to it and it makes the noise and then a little bit along it is normal again. I thought it was missing bolts (as said above) or the cushion being loose, but people think the cushion may be too tight, could that be the reason? In some of the tables that are most used, when a ball goes against it, it bounces as it comes off it and it is very annoying!

bongo

Comment

To ensure an even tension along the cushion, it is a good idea to use a torque wrench which will tighten each bolt to the same torque. This is used on the tables for the Sky Premier League and it does make a difference.

Comment

Originally Posted by senga147 View Post
                        To ensure an even tension along the cushion, it is a good idea to use a torque wrench which will tighten each bolt to the same torque. This is used on the tables for the Sky Premier League and it does make a difference.
                        That is a good thing to do, I have read somewhere that a few years ago Cliff Thorburn was playing and he missed a red and it went up the cushion, hugging it and it was obvious it was going to be safe tight on the side cushion as it had a resonable amount of pace but not enough for it to go to the opposide corner pocket, as it hugged tight to the side cushion, it got to the middle and rolled in! Just like one of those trick balls with the trickshot you can play with them to make them curl into the middle!

Comment

The dead spot may be that the rubber has come off the block at that point and just requires the cloth untacking (or stapleing) carefully fold back over capping and reglue the rubber back to the block , the surgical tape on top of the rubber may also require replaceing , also the rubber at that point may be going hard or crumbling or cracking due to age , this happens a lot on old rubber , true bolts missing or not tight will have an effect of a dead cushion , but I am more than satisfied with youre description that it will be rubber off block or cracking or hard rubber or even loose block coming away from capping /cushion body . but check bolt tightness first
                          [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

the drawings on-board platen under on-board rubber cushion

How do you do, dear sirs!
                            My name is Anatoly Martynov. I from Belgorod (Russia). Much love the english Snooker. No snooker table in Belgorod.
                            I have solved to do snooker table for itself. Has Bought all: slate plate (OSTARD 45mm), rubber cushion snooker, cloth, pockets, leg levellers, balls and other. Made drawing of the table. Has Got the pockets shablons for angular and average pockets snooker table. But nowhere has found the drawings on-board platen under on-board rubber cushion. The pockets shablons need as patterns for undercut rubber cushions and certified of the table, tolerance him(it) to undertaking tournament. Can not understand, why whole information about snooker tables is secret! Even on put the producer changed in the world pool tables of the company BRUNSWICK possible to find information and outlines with size on-board platen, pockets and other.
                            If drawings does not exist, their possible do in repair of the table - a change cloth or on-board rubber.
                            Persuasively we ask You, dear sirs, help me in this question!
                            After all main purpose of all snooker amateurs, professional and international federation WPBSA – popularization snooker in the world!
                            With deep respect, Anatoliy Martynov
                            (marbel009@gmail.com)

Comment

just got back from my local club and they have had both tables completely re-vamped and now they play so much better their faster don't roll of on the long pots and don't have the big craters where people slam the colours down on their spots their a joy to play on now
                              Age/Location: 23/hull/ UK
                              Highest Practice/Match Break: P:112/M:96 (Line Up: 122)
                              Cue: John Parris, champion , 18.7oz 9.5mm tip talisman hard usually

Comment

Working...
                              X