Stan Moody World Junior Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stan Moody World Junior Champion

I see Stan has won a tour card by winning the WSF junior title .

Good luck to him on the tour and no doubt it will be good experience but …I personally I think it’s a bit early in career to be taking a tour card as the standard is so high now and I don’t think he is near that level atm. I just hope he doesn’t get disillusioned with the game due to the loses that will no doubt be coming his way for the next two years.

Hopefully he will get the support he needs from his team around him .

Yes every match on the pro tour will be a positive learning opportunity for him.
    Got to be asked who are the nimrods staging events like this in Australia when pro snooker is expensive and exclusive enough ?
    Also i don't see why events like this can't be included on snooker.org, a contractual thing maybe ? I don't know.

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post
      Yes every match on the pro tour will be a positive learning opportunity for him.
      Got to be asked who are the nimrods staging events like this in Australia when pro snooker is expensive and exclusive enough ?
      Also i don't see why events like this can't be included on snooker.org, a contractual thing maybe ? I don't know.
      I guess they are trying to promote snooker in all continents and not just make it Europe specific or UK specific which was the case for a number of years .

I also noticed it wasn’t on snooker.org , no idea of the reasons behind it . It did get a mention by commentary yesterday during the current German comp which was good.

Comment

not sure if snooker.org only does Pro events (or at least it used to be only pro events)
        As you most probably know you can follow WSF (and others) events on snookerscore.net and I also track them onto CueTracker (see what I did there )
        I watched the match into the early hours,, seen Stan Moody play before, and as he was last night (UK time) he is impressive at the table
        Looking forward to seeing him on the tour in the summer
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Watched it last night, it was live on YouTube. Stayed with it until 4-0 and the break.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Yep , watched it to the break myself.
            Stan played a good match and kept Liam out of the game .

Comment

Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
              I see Stan has won a tour card by winning the WSF junior title .

Good luck to him on the tour and no doubt it will be good experience but …I personally I think it’s a bit early in career to be taking a tour card as the standard is so high now and I don’t think he is near that level atm. I just hope he doesn’t get disillusioned with the game due to the loses that will no doubt be coming his way for the next two years.

Hopefully he will get the support he needs from his team around him .
              Yeh, it's going to be really important that his support/team around him prepare him properly for a tough school ahead. If he really understands that it's more important he learns as much as he can from the experience instead of hoping to win all his matches, it will hopefully help him grow as a player.
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Never heard of him before the Shoot Out last year, but became an instant fan then. Hopefully he'll have sensible people around him who realise this is where he starts getting his arse kicked with no mercy for his age, rather than an overnight road to glory, because if he can just take it one step at a time, he looks a really good player, both in terms of talent and character.

Comment

He plays at Joe Johnson’s club and has a big support network as far as I’m aware and from what I’ve seen at a comp he entered that I was present at .
                  I know Shaun Murphy has helped him a bit so he has been getting great help up until now .
                  Seems to have his head screwed on for somebody who has been getting so much attention . Only time will tell I guess how far he will go .
                  If he inspires more youngsters to stay in the game in the UK then that has to be a positive.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                    Watched it last night, it was live on YouTube. Stayed with it until 4-0 and the break.
                    I skimmed through it because it was probably the most tedious watch I've seen for a junior player. Yes he's pretty decent, but my god you can see he's had way too much coaching. The constant get down get back up, get down get back up routine is going to really frustrate his opponents and more importantly the audience. If its a deliberate thing to try and frustrate his opponent and basically keep them off the table, then its not a good sign to have that in your make up at this young age. It did feel like that was the intention because some of the shots were so basic, there was just no need to get back up as often as he did.

Comment

Only seen him in the shoot out ,think it was last year ,maybe if he is that deliberate setting up on every shot a round robin match with Peter Ebdon and Kyren Wilson would be interesting to watch ,or not .

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                        Only seen him in the shoot out ,think it was last year ,maybe if he is that deliberate setting up on every shot a round robin match with Peter Ebdon and Kyren Wilson would be interesting to watch ,or not .
                        Funny as I also noticed that pre shot routine Stan does which is very similar with the way he runs his hand up and down the cue like Kyren.
                        Luckily there is no ‘wobble’ as well

Comment

I know Shaun Murphy has helped him a bit so he has been getting great help up until now .
                          Shaun mentioned his support for Stan on Twitter, Mark Allen popped up with "Just think how quickly he’d have turned pro with someone else’s help!!! Well done Stan"
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post

I skimmed through it because it was probably the most tedious watch I've seen for a junior player. Yes he's pretty decent, but my god you can see he's had way too much coaching. The constant get down get back up, get down get back up routine is going to really frustrate his opponents and more importantly the audience. If its a deliberate thing to try and frustrate his opponent and basically keep them off the table, then its not a good sign to have that in your make up at this young age. It did feel like that was the intention because some of the shots were so basic, there was just no need to get back up as often as he did.
                            I wouldn’t have thought that was the intention. I’m not sure any coaches would have coached gamesmanship into his game . Well at least I hope not.
                            I do agree though that he has been heavily coached as have most juniors who compete these days sometimes to the detriment of the player.
                            I don’t think it’s any coincidence that his performance on the Shoot Out was so good and the fact he didn’t have time to go through all that pre shot routine /coached stuff and was forced to play more with his natural talent and instincts.

Comment

I wouldn’t have thought that was the intention. I’m not sure any coaches would have coached gamesmanship into his game . Well at least I hope not.
                              I do agree though that he has been heavily coached as have most juniors who compete these days sometimes to the detriment of the player.
                              I don’t think it’s any coincidence that his performance on the Shoot Out was so good and the fact he didn’t have time to go through all that pre shot routine /coached stuff and was forced to play more with his natural talent and instincts.
                              Well I checked this morning he was doing it in some of the other matches in this event, though not quite to the same extent. It could be a tactic or pre shot routine, either way its hard to justify the action and looks to be either a deliberate attempt at frustrating the opponent as well as keeping them waiting long for their next visit.

I looked at some footage from another event 2 months back and there was none of it, although admittedly he was playing a much worse opponent. I just say what I see and I think its borderline gamesmanship and its a little sad to see but I suppose if there is no ruling to prevent it and a tour card on the line, people will do anything to win.
                              Last edited by cueman; 4 February 2023, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X