Playing well then tip comes off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing well then tip comes off

We had a league match tonight against one of the teams challenging us for 2nd place.

We were 3-2 down and then I was on last.

I started well knocked in 33 and had a reasonable lead in the frame and fancied winning it.

There were two reds left with one on the cushion and I was faced with a medium range red parallel to the blue spot which I stroked in and screwed back for the black which was on its spot.

But my tip came off as I played the shot and I had to play the rest of the frame with a team mate's cue and I am awful with any cue other than my own.

I went on to lose the frame.

I was our team's best player on the night but I lost mainly due to the tip.

Should I sulk because I lost?

Should I console myself by blaming the tip?

Should I look at the positives - I was the best player on our team??

You should just put it down to experience, that's all. It's one of those things you can't control, so no use sulking or blaming the tip. The fact that you were the best player on the team is of some consolation, so keep on practising and make sure your tip is well stuck on next time!

P.S. Try and persuade one of your team-mates to get a cue you can play with, it's either that or you get a second cue, just like the 1st!
    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

The tip coming off, although not directly your fault, is down to you to ensure that your tip is not "clunking" etc..How often do you play and how often do you change it?

Do you change your own and are you comfortable doing so? With a decent lead by the sounds of it i'd be more worried that you couldnt get past the last red and colours even using another cue. You would need to scrap harder to win the frame so mental strength comes into this too.

But as Keith said put it down to experience.
      Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
      Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

I'd use Araldite next time ... takes a while longer to set but tips don't "pop off" with epoxy resin ...

I know Superglue is trendy but it has two very significant problems ... first is it becomes brittle at less than 10C (50F in old money) ... second is it has little "shear" strength, ie it can't withstand force parallel to the glue line ...

epoxy resin has neither of these problems

Comment

I use a rubber based adhesive which is even stronger then Araldite.It takes only 20 mins to stick.I have used it for more then 8 years now and had no problems whatsoever.
          My deep screw shot
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

Which adhesive do you use?

Comment

Originally Posted by sunny3909 View Post
              I use a rubber based adhesive which is even stronger then Araldite.It takes only 20 mins to stick.I have used it for more then 8 years now and had no problems whatsoever.
              Which adhesive do you use?

Comment

I use superglue gel and never have had any problems with tips coming off. Infact, I have a nightmare getting the tip off cleanly when changing it.

Ensure you put the tip on perfectly to begin with and this problem wont happen again.

Be careful when your shaping the tip that you're not using too high grit paper and are only sanding in a downward direction else you can catch the tip upwardly and weaken the bond. Likewise using too high a grit and grip the tip too strongly and through a pivot motion pull up on the opposite side. (think physics)

Comment

Originally Posted by Stunrunthru View Post

We had a league match tonight against one of the teams challenging us for 2nd place.

We were 3-2 down and then I was on last.

I started well knocked in 33 and had a reasonable lead in the frame and fancied winning it.

There were two reds left with one on the cushion and I was faced with a medium range red parallel to the blue spot which I stroked in and screwed back for the black which was on its spot.

But my tip came off as I played the shot and I had to play the rest of the frame with a team mate's cue and I am awful with any cue other than my own.

I went on to lose the frame.

I was our team's best player on the night but I lost mainly due to the tip.

Should I sulk because I lost?

Should I console myself by blaming the tip?

Should I look at the positives - I was the best player on our team??

Maybe you should put a spare tip (one you've fitted earlier and used a bit, then cut off again) in your case, along with a small bottle of super glue, so you can stick it on and carry on playing.

Then you wouldn't have to do any of the above.

My way of thinking is that....

a) There's no profit in sulking.

b) There's no consolation in losing, because all that matters is WIN.

c) In team events, it doesn't matter a toss who the best player is/was.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                    In team events, it doesn't matter a toss who the best player is/was.
                    As trevor said, it doesn't matter who is the best player because as long as you are on that table, making your opponent sit in his chair there is nothing he can do about it.

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerloopy_08 View Post
                      As trevor said, it doesn't matter who is the best player because as long as you are on that table, making your opponent sit in his chair there is nothing he can do about it.
                      Ha ha if my opponent sat in his chair every time i got to the table his legs would be feeling like they had done a step aerobics class for the last hour with all the sitting down standing up. okey cokey springs to mind

Comment

Working...
                      X