first snooker tournament - a headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first snooker tournament - a headache

Ok so, just came an hour ago back home, from my first snooker tournament. If I were to describe my performance with a single word, it would def be "HORROR".

First snooker tournament for me and my training partner who has a very good pool background, not that important anyway, and we are to play against each other. Perhaps it was that, and perhaps it was the fact that we had to show all those players watching what we are made of and I was, well we were so overwhelmed by the fact that we would be considered as good or bad players by our very first match that we played horribly.

To cut the story short, my highest overall frame score in this match was lower than my personal highest break! Missing straight shots to the middle, balls 10 inch away from holes, it was just horrible. So I was like laughing on the inside and falling apart at the same time.

My friend, as an opponent beat me 2:0 by tight frames, but he played about as bad as I did. We even apologized to our referee because it must had been painful to watch the match. Honestly, if I was him I'd probably be thinking "OOOH JEEESUS CHRIST! GET OVER WITH IT WILL YOU!!". I took us almost 2 hours for the two frames, although the game wasnt very opened up, but still it was RUBBISH. It usually takes 20-30 minutes per frame when the two of us play matches (non-tournament) with 20-30 point breaks.

So anyhow, please...I'm begging you ppl...someone tell me, "oh no worries mate it happened to me too" or like "it happens to everyone". I better go take an aspirin...
    Last edited by lkomarci; 27 March 2009, 09:24 PM.

oh and I almost forgot,
    Trevor White....I am pleading you, please send me the cue if it's already finished. I've heard that your cues play well without any guidance so that I can just relax and let my TW cue do it all for me next time. Make sure you include the "AUTO MODE" switch on the cue butt so I can turn it on when I start playing as bad as I did today. Thanks

Comment

Don't worry about it mate, every snooker player does go through matches where sometimes it seems like you couldn't buy a pot! I played a match the other night and i played really really bad, like 5% of what i am capable of, it was embarrassing really, but i guess it's just one of those things you have got to deal with from time to time.
      I love the game of snooker :) (even though my mates think that its just a load of balls :D )

Comment

No your not alone mate... Myself as i'm sure other members will tell you the same thing has happened to them too. When you have others watching you It's very easy to want to play well & hopefully impress.
        "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

thanks mates. It's such an embarrassement. Well, my friend is at least going to have a chance to prove everybody different tomorrow. Myself..I'm going to a practice in the morning! :snooker:

Comment

its an experience thing. As and when you play more you will relax and play your own game. Sometimes you go into a tournament and wonder whether you are good enough to be there and hoping that you don't make yourself look like an idiot. The trouble is though you are playing with doubt in your mind so even the easiest shots seem tougher than they ever were before. Trust me, it will get better the more you play in tournaments. Just put it down to experience.

Comment

I know what you mean. That's the exact same thing we told each other while travelling to the tournament. It doesn't matter that much which one of us wins the match, what's important is that we give our best and show the good snooker that we usually play.
              But you know it was acutally really bizarre, out of 30-35 ppl, our first match was against each other, friend vs friend. Hell we even live 50 meters away from each other. I hope this never happens again, not in the first rounds of the tournament at least.

Comment

Hi lkomarci,
                I was talking today to the tournament officials about all the new players this year, I have seen most of their matches but I wasn't there to see your match unfortunately.
                You say that this was your 1st snooker tournament and I guess you're young, so all that you have written here is quite normal. I don't think there is a player who hadn't gone through this, especially the ones who had no coaching guidance, beginning from the young age, so they had to deal with all of it by themselves. Experience is one of the crucial things for a player. Keep practicing and keep playing on tournaments, you will play matches against various opponents and you will gain the experience needed to move forward with your game.
                Trust me, that's the way it works, practice and experience.
                Anyway, it was great to see more players at the 1st tournament of the season, from different parts of Cro too, we all hope there will be more snooker clubs opening in the future, therefore the quality will raise.
                And, as regards to your «misfortune» for being drawn against your mate in the first round…..I guess you know about the Murphy's Law, don't you? In that case you have to know – it WILL happen and it will happen when you least want it to happen. Lol
                Seriously, you just have to concentrate on your own game regardless of your opponent, when you achieve that, it will all seem much easier you'll see.
                Cheers, see you on the next tournament!
                sigpic

Comment

You need to ignore the audience and never play to impress them. Block them out as best you can and concentrate on your game. Snooker is difficult enough without unnecessary distractions. Get over this initial thought process and your game will improve.
                  Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
                  Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Hi, I have the same experience with you. I also the first time to join the pennant competition and everytime lack of performance in the match. It's been 2 months and still play ****. No matter how hard I practice(4 times a week), I still cant play well in the game. And I notice I get more worst in my snooker skill.

Why....

Comment

Hey!!

Just a bit of advice, maybe not the best but any helps woo hay

As cueman said the more you play with people watching you the more your nerves become used to it.

Or there is another way which is a bit more costly but will gain you nerves of steel!!

Play for money, a fairly large sum like £50 best of 3 or something similar to that. A few of these with friends or better with strangers will make you imune to fear and eventualy will make you rock solid in your mind. You will prob lose first but once you're imune to losing you will start winning.
                      After this no matter how many people is watching you wouldn't care specialy if moeny is not involved.
                      Its a good mind trainer and nerve settller.
                      And this will get you used to playing under pressure. Remember once you achieve imunity you will start winnig!
                      But also remember don't fall into the trap of complacency when you become better.

K hope this helps,
                      oh and I don't gamble
                      Oh plus if you're traveling down this road, get a sponsor
                      Last edited by nam1977; 20 April 2009, 02:30 AM. Reason: added sentence

Comment

lol yea a sponsor would be neat. Well, I do believe that the psych has got to be completely different when playing for money, however I only play with one or two of my friends all the time and they're both a bit better players than myself. Besides, financially I'm not in the best shape to tell you the truth so I'm not really fond of losing money lol. But who knows, maybe if I don't gain mental stability on tournaments any time soon, maybe then I'll try your approach.

Comment

Sorry I didn't reply before, the thread subscription was off so I wasn't receiving any notifications.
                          Yep that was my very first tournament. I played a 9ball tournament in Varazdin 3 days ago...just for fun, and to get used to the competition atmosphere. It went ok I guess, my nerves settled down after the first round, which I lost lol, but then I won two matches after that which was quite a relief. All things considered, that is the fact that I don't play 9ball any more, not used to the table size, cloth speed, and playing with a crappy cue, it went pretty well.
                          I really hate Murphy!
                          Unfortunately I won't be playing this month's tournament. College exams
                          What's your last name if you don't mind my asking?

Cheers!

Originally Posted by recoil View Post
                          Hi lkomarci,
                          I was talking today to the tournament officials about all the new players this year, I have seen most of their matches but I wasn't there to see your match unfortunately.
                          You say that this was your 1st snooker tournament and I guess you're young, so all that you have written here is quite normal. I don't think there is a player who hadn't gone through this, especially the ones who had no coaching guidance, beginning from the young age, so they had to deal with all of it by themselves. Experience is one of the crucial things for a player. Keep practicing and keep playing on tournaments, you will play matches against various opponents and you will gain the experience needed to move forward with your game.
                          Trust me, that's the way it works, practice and experience.
                          Anyway, it was great to see more players at the 1st tournament of the season, from different parts of Cro too, we all hope there will be more snooker clubs opening in the future, therefore the quality will raise.
                          And, as regards to your «misfortune» for being drawn against your mate in the first round…..I guess you know about the Murphy's Law, don't you? In that case you have to know – it WILL happen and it will happen when you least want it to happen. Lol
                          Seriously, you just have to concentrate on your own game regardless of your opponent, when you achieve that, it will all seem much easier you'll see.
                          Cheers, see you on the next tournament!

Comment

Working...
                          X