Amateur tournament in Bournemouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amateur tournament in Bournemouth

Just to let you know that my snooker club, Greenbaize in Bournemouth, is holding its annual Summer tournament on Sunday 23 July.

£400 first prize, £200 runner-up, etc. if it's the same as last year.

Let me know if you're interested (am I allowed to advertise blatantly?) and I'll PM you the telephone number of the club.

What's the format? Handicap or Scratch? Pro's allowed to play? As much info as poss please.

Of course you're allowed to advertise tournaments!!

MW

Comment

Scratch. It's advertised in July's Snooker Scene, page 34.

Telephone number is 01202 525061 – give them a ring for more details.

Another one on December 3 (though it does not have "Summer" in its title!).

Comment

Originally Posted by MattWilson
        What's the format? Handicap or Scratch? MW
        Can anybody please explain the difference?

Comment

Scratch means everyone playing off level – i.e. the score is 0-0 at the start of the frame.

Handicap means a system is in place to even up players' abilities.#
          So if I'm a pretty good player I might play off "-28" and if you're not as good you might be "-7". So if we were drawn to play each other, I would give you 21 points' start.

If I was -42 and you were +14 I'd give you 56 points start.

Comment

Thanks. I sure would be more than +14! Or is that already considered as lousy player?

Comment

If you improve or worsen, your handicap is altered accordingly.

For example in our weekly club competitions, if you reach a final your handicap moves down 7 points, and if you go three (or maybe it's four) without winning a match it goes up 7.

Comment

I've stopped playing in handicap tournaments at my club as the handicap system just got out of control. This is a true story, so just to give you all a little laugh I'll tell you it.

I appeared at my club to play a handicap league match against a (+21) player, thinking I would have to give him a 91 point start as I (thought) I was off my usual (-70). I was told, much to my frustration that I was now off (-84) and therefore have to give him a 105 point start.

Thankfully he was pretty dire and I managed to lose only 4-3, mainly due to me smashing the reds open when I broke off, and praying that he did'nt get a red. Two of the frames I won were actually won by me getting a silly amount of snookers when only 1 or 2 reds left. Anyway the funny part of it was that I hold the club record (likely a world record) of losing a frame after making a century!!

Yeap, I made a 115 and knuckled a slightly tricky final black which hung over the pocket.

I can laugh now, but it took me a while I can tell you !
                Mon the Rocket

Comment

Mate, we've all been there! I remember giving a fella at my club 100 start, having 104 and leaving the white in the jaws of the bottom pocket black on spot. I potted black but went in-off in the middle. Lost by 1!

MW

Comment

Ditto. I never had a ton and lost but I remember having a 90+ and losing a frame and giving a guy 55 start and he knocked in a 90 against me! For quite a while, it seemed the only competitions available, other than pro-ams or national events, were handicapped.
                    I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Blimey, talk about resurrecting old topics!

Comment

Working...
                      X