• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amateur Snooker

I cant believe ther'es no threads here yet - don't any of you PLAY snooker

Surely people must have views on snooker in their locality

Do you have good events to play in your clubs, leagues, towns etc

What about your governing body in your country - how are they doing

Let's get some exchange on news views and info here....
    Janie Watkins
    On Q Promotions / South West Snooker Academy
    All views are my own and in no way represent On Q or the Academy

Originally Posted by globalsnookercentre
    I cant believe ther'es no threads here yet - don't any of you PLAY snooker

Surely people must have views on snooker in their locality

Do you have good events to play in your clubs, leagues, towns etc

What about your governing body in your country - how are they doing

Let's get some exchange on news views and info here....
    Yes Attitude, I do play snooker.
    And I have plenty of views of snooker in my locality. Mostly dissatisfied views because snooker clubs and competitions are almost non-existant!
    Are you always this grumpy or is it just a passing phase??

Comment

grow up global

hey i agree with snazzydevil, he is a bit grumpy and mesurable aint he. if none of us played or liked snooker then i dont think that we would be on this site much and i dont think that there wiill be some great help and replys as what we are getting from some of the members here. grow up global

Comment

Hey everyone, don't fall out,

I think globalsnookercentre was just trying to get the amateur forum started as no-one has posted in it yet, lets try to getit going.

Comment

Yes i agree too, she was only starting it off as no one had posted! Let's all get along

I don't actually play for any league, i would love to though, i think i'd need to get some more practise in tholugh, i've gone a bit rusty
          What's that coming over the hill...

Comment

Originally Posted by simon hopkins
            hey i agree with snazzydevil, he is a bit grumpy and mesurable aint he. if none of us played or liked snooker then i dont think that we would be on this site much and i dont think that there wiill be some great help and replys as what we are getting from some of the members here. grow up global
            HE is a SHE Simon
            next time you go for your coaching lesson you'd better ask Wayne or Griff to tell you who I am... I'm sure Lozzy will vouch for the fact that I am actually totally insane.

Thanks Admin - I was just trying to get a thread started
            mind you when you get to my advanced years you do get pretty grumpy!!
            Janie Watkins

Comment

Originally Posted by Loopylozzy
              Yes i agree too, she was only starting it off as no one had posted! Let's all get along

I don't actually play for any league, i would love to though, i think i'd need to get some more practise in tholugh, i've gone a bit rusty
              gone rusty Loz... it's all that rain up them Welsh hills!
              which is the local league round your way?
              Janie Watkins

Comment

i wish i could say i had gone rusty but i was bad enough to start with

my home is about one min walk from tredegar snooker centre

Comment

Originally Posted by chrisdebag
                  i wish i could say i had gone rusty but i was bad enough to start with

my home is about one min walk from tredegar snooker centre
                  It's nearly a Taff Takeover on this forum - apart from the Snazzy Aus and admin and the legendary Temp Peck

Simon, Chris, Lozzy, me all flying the Welsh flag.... go Taffs!

which league is played round your way Chris? Rhmney Valley?
                  Janie Watkins

Comment

No your missing half a person, I am half welsh too.

Comment

Originally Posted by Administrator
                      No your missing half a person, I am half welsh too.
                      Obviously your best half then Admin!!
                      Janie Watkins

Comment

Originally Posted by simon hopkins
                        There you are Simon - I told you the message was here!!

Grow up is it !! - I think we've now established that I'm more than THIRTY years older than you !!

and bad luck in the final today - hit that final black just a bit harder than needed, otherwise you'd have won.
                        Janie Watkins

Comment

What the smart snooker player is wearing

Couldn't resist it Simon - it's just such a nice hat!
                          Attached Files
                          Janie Watkins

Comment

Used to play in junior ranks

I used to play serious snooker and pool. I'd practice 3 to 7 hours every weekend in the local leisure centre, and never walked past a pool table without playing on it. Tried a few local comps, got through to 2nd and 3rd rounds only though, as I'm not really a competition player, but I did the pub circuit and have won over 2000 frames (racks) of pool, and beat what used to be called 'Super League' players. But I kind of lost interest in tournaments and see that stuff as egotistical, and it never really floated my boat! But did manage to beat Rob Hill, who's ranked at No1 in the world, but he wasn't when I beat him in 94.

It's all very well going in for these comps, but I found it doesn't increase playing skill at all - in actual fact playing in tournanents just made me twitch on the shot and end up losing against players I'd beat easily in a different environment. Then again I'm not a competition kind of player.

I noticed one thing from tournaments and it was full of ego driven, wannabees that aren't really that great at the game anyway, and after playing in 20 or so, winning 6 matches, over 2000 frames and beating a top professional player, I realised that I was damn good, and why did I need to prove it to the world.

But if comps delight you - then go for it! You never know your luck.

You can learn from tournaments, but they ultimately will not make you better. If you want to get better for tournament play, then hitting the practice tables is far more productive, than any comps will do for you.

You can't get knocked out of a practice table - know what I'm saying......

Comment

Originally Posted by chrissy
                              I used to play serious snooker and pool. I'd practice 3 to 7 hours every weekend in the local leisure centre, and never walked past a pool table without playing on it. Tried a few local comps, got through to 2nd and 3rd rounds only though, as I'm not really a competition player, but I did the pub circuit and have won over 2000 frames (racks) of pool, and beat what used to be called 'Super League' players. But I kind of lost interest in tournaments and see that stuff as egotistical, and it never really floated my boat! But did manage to beat Rob Hill, who's ranked at No1 in the world, but he wasn't when I beat him in 94.
                              Originally Posted by chrissy

It's all very well going in for these comps, but I found it doesn't increase playing skill at all - in actual fact playing in tournanents just made me twitch on the shot and end up losing against players I'd beat easily in a different environment. Then again I'm not a competition kind of player.

I noticed one thing from tournaments and it was full of ego driven, wannabees that aren't really that great at the game anyway, and after playing in 20 or so, winning 6 matches, over 2000 frames and beating a top professional player, I realised that I was damn good, and why did I need to prove it to the world.

But if comps delight you - then go for it! You never know your luck.

You can learn from tournaments, but they ultimately will not make you better. If you want to get better for tournament play, then hitting the practice tables is far more productive, than any comps will do for you.

You can't get knocked out of a practice table - know what I'm saying......

So Ronnie, Hunter, and every pro are just in it for the ego trip are they? They don’t do it because they love the game and realise they could make a living doing something they love? Every pro was an amateur wannabe at some point.

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I’ve read. You can practice potting balls until your arms drop off, but that isn’t going to do f*** all for you when it comes to tournaments. There’s no pressure to win playing socially. Tournaments are something different altogether. The pressure is greater, and the pressure could make you miss the easiest of shots. You twitched and lost? That’s because you were under pressure!

Look at the pressure the pros are under! And they miss what seem to be some very easy pots. It’s easy to sit back and say how easy it was/is. But is it you out here in front of the camera, under the lights, being watched by thousands?

If you want to try and make it in the snooker world, then amateur tournaments is DEFINITELY going to help you far more than potting balls robot style! Snooker isn’t just potting balls; it’s also performing under pressure.

You’re "damn good" are you? Well that’s your opinion. Damn good players have a damn good mental game, which you seem to lack. If I were so sure of myself, I’d be aiming for the professional circuit.

You’re either spiteful because you couldn’t cut it with the big boys, or you put absolutely

no thought into this post whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                              X