No announcement yet.

EASB Ranking Series - what is it like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EASB Ranking Series - what is it like?

I was just wondering what the EASB Ranking Series events are like; they are pretty vague on the website.

Does anyone have any experience of these events? Do many people attend? What is the standard?
    What is the dress code? Are matches refereed and is the miss rule implemented?

I might have accidentally had a moment of madness and committed myself to event 8 at SWSA is only 40 minutes away from me.

Click on an event on the competitions page to get the dress code.

Click on an event on the results page to see entry numbers and names and results and breaks.

Apart from the latter stages, matches are not refereed. The miss rule is applied. And, yes, the standard is high.

Reveal yourself young man and I'll tell you whether your 'moment of madness' is actually a 'moment of madness'.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Tim.

I'm Simon Ayers, but hopefully I won't be anything like as crap as when you've seen me before.

Besides, I've signed up more for self motivation than for any other reason. As far as I can tell, this should be the highest standard tournament I could enter (aside from a PTC), so it will motivate me to improve as much as possible, as not to embarrass myself. My current target is just to win a frame. If I can better that then great.

Comment

Yes, Simon. You can't get much higher than this on the amateur circuit. Good luck.
        http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Best of luck Simon, let us know how it goes.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Well I played like a total plum for the first two frames. It was my first competitive match in a year so I was more nervous than I anticipated and my cue arm went to jelly a bit.

I got left a couple of easy starters in the third, got a good split on the reds and managed to knock in 73 before a cannon on a line of three reds over the pink spot left me on nothing. That won me the third frame.

I started feeling a bit more confident then, like I actually had a vague chance but decided to ruin that in the fourth when I ripped a huge hole down the inside of my trouser leg reaching for a ball marker under the table, much to the amusement of everyone in the playing arena! . It was funny but it definitely spoiled my focus. This was also in the middle of a 40-odd break from my opponent so when I did get a chance I needed to score heavily but didn't.

We both had a few chances in the 5th but neither of us scored many. I did have a straight mid-long shot on the final red that could have won me the frame but I just rattled it and left it in the jaws, which cost me the match, 4-1.

My opponent played well. He scored when he was in and while he didn't close out frames in a single visit he did put himself comfortably in front on most opportunities (as you would expect from a player of his class). He also played some excellent safeties. I had maybe 5 shots where there was absolutely no way back to baulk and nowhere safe to leave the cue ball. My safety, on the other hand, was abysmal!
            I also liked his manner around the venue/table. He seemed very focused and professional and kept a good pace around the table. I can see that this approach has lead to great success.

I got to watch a couple of other matches that were of a similar standard. It seems to me that to compete in that arena you need to score 50+ when in the balls and always find the baulk area with safeties. Sounds straightforward but is pretty tough when your opponent is ready to pounce!

I think I will have a go at another event next season but I need to work on improving my safety play and controlling my cue action under pressure as it was loose, and hence so was my positional play, which cost me opportunities.

At least I didn't completely disgrace myself (aside from the trousers).

Comment

Quite inspirational! How old are you if you dont mind me asking?

Also are ptc open to everyone?

Comment

Originally Posted by monkeytennis View Post
                Well I played like a total plum for the first two frames. It was my first competitive match in a year so I was more nervous than I anticipated and my cue arm went to jelly a bit.

I got left a couple of easy starters in the third, got a good split on the reds and managed to knock in 73 before a cannon on a line of three reds over the pink spot left me on nothing. That won me the third frame.

I started feeling a bit more confident then, like I actually had a vague chance but decided to ruin that in the fourth when I ripped a huge hole down the inside of my trouser leg reaching for a ball marker under the table, much to the amusement of everyone in the playing arena! . It was funny but it definitely spoiled my focus. This was also in the middle of a 40-odd break from my opponent so when I did get a chance I needed to score heavily but didn't.

We both had a few chances in the 5th but neither of us scored many. I did have a straight mid-long shot on the final red that could have won me the frame but I just rattled it and left it in the jaws, which cost me the match, 4-1.

My opponent played well. He scored when he was in and while he didn't close out frames in a single visit he did put himself comfortably in front on most opportunities (as you would expect from a player of his class). He also played some excellent safeties. I had maybe 5 shots where there was absolutely no way back to baulk and nowhere safe to leave the cue ball. My safety, on the other hand, was abysmal!
                I also liked his manner around the venue/table. He seemed very focused and professional and kept a good pace around the table. I can see that this approach has lead to great success.

I got to watch a couple of other matches that were of a similar standard. It seems to me that to compete in that arena you need to score 50+ when in the balls and always find the baulk area with safeties. Sounds straightforward but is pretty tough when your opponent is ready to pounce!

I think I will have a go at another event next season but I need to work on improving my safety play and controlling my cue action under pressure as it was loose, and hence so was my positional play, which cost me opportunities.

At least I didn't completely disgrace myself (aside from the trousers).
                Ha yes, never seen trousers split like that before! Playing in events like the ERS will certainly help taking your game forward, although it's not a particularly cheap way of getting experience!

Comment

EASB Ranking Series - what is it like?

your analysis of your game and your humility is always something nice to see. But you making 73 on Gloucester tables shows ability and cue ball control on fast star tables and you should take a lot of comfort from this. keep thinking as clearly as you do and you will soon be winning consistently, match snooker is about being able to compete, not panicking and reviewing all your options, as well as doing all the mechanical cueing bits! good luck Simon and I look forward to chatting with you at next year's events.

Comment

Originally Posted by stephenm2682 View Post
                    Quite inspirational! How old are you if you dont mind me asking?

Also are ptc open to everyone?
                    Thanks. I'm 30, with the face of a 14-year old! I believe amateurs can enter PTC events but they have to play several qualifier rounds before reaching the pro stages. The had details on World Snooker's site but I can't find it just yet as they're gearing up for the next season.

Comment

Originally Posted by simon dent View Post
                      your analysis of your game and your humility is always something nice to see. But you making 73 on Gloucester tables shows ability and cue ball control on fast star tables and you should take a lot of comfort from this. keep thinking as clearly as you do and you will soon be winning consistently, match snooker is about being able to compete, not panicking and reviewing all your options, as well as doing all the mechanical cueing bits! good luck Simon and I look forward to chatting with you at next year's events.
                      Thanks for the kind words. I've not really competed at all at snooker (aside from a 1-frame a week local league years ago) but I've just decided to stop procrastinating and to get stuck in at as high a level as I can; become a nuisance as Ronnie says. I even put myself in for the SWSA pink ribbon to get some more match practice. The way I see it, the more tournaments I play, and the harder the opposition, the harder I have to work and the faster I'll improve.

So, maybe I'll be seeing you next season!

Comment

Originally Posted by monkeytennis View Post
                        Thanks for the kind words. I've not really competed at all at snooker (aside from a 1-frame a week local league years ago) but I've just decided to stop procrastinating and to get stuck in at as high a level as I can; become a nuisance as Ronnie says. I even put myself in for the SWSA pink ribbon to get some more match practice. The way I see it, the more tournaments I play, and the harder the opposition, the harder I have to work and the faster I'll improve.

Even if you don't do well at Pink Ribbon it's a fantastic tournament, all for a good cause, and you'll enjoy yourself!

Comment

Great attitude! Looking at the results of the comp you entered, you lost to Zak Surety who is a very good player, won that event, and beat Anthony Hamilton in a PTC last year. I believe he's gained a main tour place this year via the EBSA route.
                          I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Working...
                          X