Ex to meet wannabe in southern final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex to meet wannabe in southern final

A FORMER snooker professional will take on an aspiring professional in the southern final of the English Amateur Championship.

Michael Georgiou, who spent a year on the Main Tour after winning the 2007 IBSF World Under-21 Championship in India, will meet last season’s national runner-up Ben Harrison in Leeds next month.

The pair qualified from the last-16 south stage at the South West Snooker Academy, Gloucester.

Georgiou, from Forest Hill, London, overcame Hassan Vaizie (Gloucester) 5-1, Bradley Jones (South Croydon) 5-2 and Matt Emms (Kidderminster) 8-7 in an epic semi-final.

“Throughout the day, I had to play my best to get through as I was pushed in all matches regardless of scoreline,” said the 26-year-old.

“Matt fought back extremely well from 4-1 and 7-4 down and forced me to dig deep to produce the 64 break in the decider.

“Hopefully, I can carry this form into the semis and final.”

Meanwhile, Harrison, who hails from near Westbury, Wiltshire, accounted for Ashley Beal (East Sussex) 5-3, Jamie Brown (West Midlands) 5-4 and Sydney Wilson (Southend) 8-4.

“I’m starting to feel really good,” said the 22-year-old, who is now at Q School.

“I’m very happy to get through to the final again, getting through that tough field. I really want to go one better this year and win the whole thing.

“My safety was great this weekend and it is perfect preparation for my confidence for Q School.”

The southern and national finals will be played over the weekend of June 7-8 at the Northern Snooker Centre, the competition sponsor.

Tim Dunkley
    EASB Media Officer South and World Snooker coach

The English Association of Snooker & Billiards is the national governing body for the amateur game in this country. For more information about competitions, rankings lists and results, see www.easb.co.uk.
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Thanks for putting these results up ........Michael has been playing very well in practice lately , but lost his 1st match in Q School 1 .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Working...
    X