Zak able to sit back and relax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zak able to sit back and relax

A CHAPTER has closed in the amateur snooker career of Basildon break builder Zak Surety.

After three fruitless seasons at Q School, the 22-year-old is this year able to “sit back and let everyone else worry”.

And that’s because he was handed a two-year Main Tour card after coming through the European Billiards & Snooker Association Qualifying Tour play-offs at Ponds Forge, Sheffield, last month.

“It feels great,” said Surety. “I’ve been in Q School the last three seasons and played in various PTC (Players Tour Championship) events.

“It was nice way to do it, through the play-offs, as I can sit back and let everyone else worry about Q School.”

With the confidence of turning professional next season, Surety bowed out of the amateur game with his first tournament win on the English Ranking Series.

He pocketed £450 after edging James Brown (Oldbury) 5-4 in a scrappy final of the eighth and last leg at the South West Snooker Academy, Gloucester.

“We both struggled for some reason and I somehow crawled over the line,” admitted Surety.

But he added: “I played good stuff over the weekend and it was nice to end with a win.”

Elsewhere, Jeff Cundy (Scunthorpe) picked up the high-break prize of £50 for a 127 in the third frame of his first match against Richard Haney (Dudley). It was the only century scored during the two-day event.

In the next round, Cundy knocked out runaway rankings winner Mitchell Mann (Birmingham).

Tim Dunkley
    EASB Media Officer South and World Snooker coach

The English Association of Snooker & Billiards is the national governing body for the amateur game in this country. For more information about competitions, rankings lists and results, see www.easb.co.uk.
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Fair play to Zak. He played well in the matches I saw and seemed a good guy.

I wish him all the best for the pro tour.

Comment

Working...
    X