No announcement yet.

Handicapping procedure Open / Handicap events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All handicapped. The more you win the more handicapped. However you find some players that have big handicaps are because either they have been winning a lot making big breaks or they have dropped to a lower league which will incur a handicapped in itself .

Comment

I am 55 this year and have been playing since I was 20 yrs old. I have never seen a handicap system where everyone is happy, I agree that around 32 - 35 should be the max given as the point is improvement not creating a situation where messing the table or never having to try to get in is rewarded. Sorry don't have the solution just needed to rant. :-)

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
        All handicapped. The more you win the more handicapped. However you find some players that have big handicaps are because either they have been winning a lot making big breaks or they have dropped to a lower league which will incur a handicapped in itself .
        So even in the premier league you could have scratch players playing +30 or even +60 players, seems a complicated set up compared to just leagues off level starts. What's your handicap and league Alabadi?

Comment

Yeah crazy. Someone like Joel walker gives 60 . Must be very difficult playing those in the same league, because most are able to make 30-40+ breaks.

For my self last year we were in division C , however this year they put us in D after the league reshuffling.
          I have no handicap so I am off scratch

Comment

I hate handicaps, the idea of sport is for the best players to come out on top. Why should a snooker player who has worked hard on his game be penalised for it against a bloke who picks his cue up for one frame a week?
            "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
              I hate handicaps, the idea of sport is for the best players to come out on top. Why should a snooker player who has worked hard on his game be penalised for it against a bloke who picks his cue up for one frame a week?
              I understand your point, however those casual players who just play for a bit of fun need some incentive otherwise what's the point of breaking off them sitting down for the rest of the frame while the good player makes a winning break
              I think in some way it's good for the decent player too as he now has to play a more tactical game to win. It helps with their development too. If it was easy al the time there would be nothing to learn. It would. E just like a practice session. At least the handicap makes it a bit more competitive

Comment

Leagues just seem the ideal place for level start snooker. Then have handicaps for team cups, singles, doubles, 3x2, pairs medley etc.. So lower leagues can compete with the higher leagues.

Comment

Without handicaps we wouldn't have a league, as it is there are only ten teams in one division, lowest is -30 and the highest is +50 with a max of 50 between any two players.
                  Trying out two points up and down for wins and losses this season to see if the high handicappers can be brought down a bit faster.

Comment

+1, better players have put the work in or have more talent, either way if they are better they deserve to win, it's only fair.
                    Have comps where the top boys are not allowed to enter, if you want to give others a chance but these should have no handicap either.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I may have come across a bit of an idiot with my post above, truth is I've been screwed over by handicaps so many times that I just don't like them.
                      Giving somebody a 30 point lead does nothing to improve my game or my opponent's game, all it does it put extra pressure on me to play well. Handicaps seem to be weighted in such a way that the better player is handicapped on his best performance whereas the weaker player is handicapped on an average performance.
                      "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

I may have come across a bit of an idiot with my post above, truth is I've been screwed over by handicaps so many times that I just don't like them.
                        Giving somebody a 30 point lead does nothing to improve my game or my opponent's game, all it does it put extra pressure on me to play well. Handicaps seem to be weighted in such a way that the better player is handicapped on his best performance whereas the weaker player is handicapped on an average performance.
                        I don't think you did Tom, why shouldn't someone who's good give you a good walloping? That's life, I wanted to play for Scotland , never got the call, but that's fair as I wasn't good enough, I still played football into my thirties and I played at the level I was best able to cope with, just as should happen with snooker leagues, we will all find our level.
                        I also don't understand handicaps within the same league, you play your team in strength order so if you are the worst in your team you play the worst in theirs, no handicap needed. We do have a rule that you can't drop down divisions midway through a season and you have to wait to change teams, but if you drop down you will play number one for a team in the division below so it's not like you would get an easy game anyway.
                        Last edited by itsnoteasy; 17 October 2016, 02:40 PM.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                          Without handicaps we wouldn't have a league, as it is there are only ten teams in one division, lowest is -30 and the highest is +50 with a max of 50 between any two players.
                          Trying out two points up and down for wins and losses this season to see if the high handicappers can be brought down a bit faster.
                          That sounds a struggle Steve, I suppose that's the only way to do it when you have so few teams taking part though.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                            ours is similar with a point up and down but not if its a black ball game as then the handicaps are deemed to be pretty much right

Comment

most games go down to the last 2 or 3 colours which shows that the handicap is working. obviously from time to time a player will be out of form and you would get an anomaly where one player wins comfortably.

Comment

Handicapping Procedure

Hi , my real problem is not so much handicapping,it is that it is suppose to be a draw, but they handpick certain players to play some and 'usually' it is a very good high handicapper. I tend to only get to play on our club nights. The same 3 or 4 players that are the most likely to beat me.Tonight playing i get called a fn...idiot when i gave this person 33 and he snaps after the game because he was beaten.Play the game like a man or don't play i say .....
                                How can a handicap system work if it is not random. Having said that if it is an honest draw and i get the same high handicapped person 5 weeks in a row no problems that was the draw and my luck,
                                Cheers 247.

Comment

Working...
                                X