Two tons in match play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by OmaMiesta View Post
    Nice call out Terry, real subtle of you. For your information, just because some people don't play in YOUR events does not mean that they dont "show up for tournaments". I play in weeklies and win them quite frequently....Were not all living the retired life, some of us still have to work. Maybe one of these days Ill take a weekend off and hopefully draw you first round. Then we can finally compete under this (tournament pressure) you speak of. And yea bash the 147 challenge all you want instead of actually having a go at it yourself, you'll just continue to sound saltier than you already do
    In the first place, that wasn't a dig at you specifically nor am I calling out your 147 challenge and in fact haven't even opened it up. What is the line from the song, would it be 'paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep'?

I have never even attempted to run a 147 with the line-up as when I used to practice with it I felt the actual purpose of it is to get a total clearance, much like you're attempting in an actual frame. I have real 147s in match play so my objective if I ever use the line-up again would be going for total clearances, no matter what the size of the break, I would take a clearance of 130 as an accomplishment, especially these days. The line-up can be set up to maximize break totals by having 4 or 5 reds between black and cushion, another 7 between black and pink and 3 above the pink but closer to it than the blue but with plenty of space to run-through the line of reds to get on the black. To me it falsely sets up a situation where a 147 is more likely. To me the proper mindset is to take the best shot that gives you ongoing position, and if that's a pink or blue then so be it. I also used to practice going in and out of baulk off a red or blue. However, I still agree with you that your 147 challenge is a valid exercise, just not for me.

As for you challenging me in an actual tournament, does it give you pleasure to challenge someone whose better days were 30 years ago? And one more thing, aren't those weekly tournaments actually the handicapped 6-red ones at Corner Bank and Monte Carlo? If so and since you're bragging about it I hope your handicap is at -8 like Floyd and John Everakian so we would have a standard for you. Mine was recently changed to a +8 from 0 but I suspect yours is in the +4 range?
    Last edited by Terry Davidson; 30 January 2018, 09:42 PM.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      In the first place, that wasn't a dig at you specifically nor am I calling out your 147 challenge and in fact haven't even opened it up. What is the line from the song, would it be 'paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep'?

I have never even attempted to run a 147 with the line-up as when I used to practice with it I felt the actual purpose of it is to get a total clearance, much like you're attempting in an actual frame. I have real 147s in match play so my objective if I ever use the line-up again would be going for total clearances, no matter what the size of the break, I would take a clearance of 130 as an accomplishment, especially these days. The line-up can be set up to maximize break totals by having 4 or 5 reds between black and cushion, another 7 between black and pink and 3 above the pink but closer to it than the blue but with plenty of space to run-through the line of reds to get on the black. To me it falsely sets up a situation where a 147 is more likely. To me the proper mindset is to take the best shot that gives you ongoing position, and if that's a pink or blue then so be it. I also used to practice going in and out of baulk off a red or blue. However, I still agree with you that your 147 challenge is a valid exercise, just not for me.

As for you challenging me in an actual tournament, does it give you pleasure to challenge someone whose better days were 30 years ago? And one more thing, aren't those weekly tournaments actually the handicapped 6-red ones at Corner Bank and Monte Carlo? If so and since you're bragging about it I hope your handicap is at -8 like Floyd and John Everakian so we would have a standard for you. Mine was recently changed to a +8 from 0 but I suspect yours is in the +4 range?
      Claims it wasn't a dig at me yet references while at the same time undermines the 147 line up "coincidentally" the same time I post a 147 thread... Then goes on to criticize players for not playing in his events....hmm okay there Terry, real slick And hilarious....are you seriously saying that me stating my past victories is considered "bragging" Mr. "I won a Corvette in 1980 something". And no I wasn't talking about Monte Carlo or Corner bank though I have played in those a few times, I mainly play full rack at Master Q. I never claimed I was as good as Floyd or John....how is bringing them up even relevant? And no it doesn't give me pleasure challenging you, I just figured it would humble you a little But okay Terry sure, if you say it wasn't a blatant call out then great we have nothing to argue here do we? Have a good day.
      Last edited by OmaMiesta; 30 January 2018, 10:09 PM.

Comment

I think it's key to remember the purpose of the line up (or any other pre set routine)... a warm up, to get you playing the range of shots needed in frames.
        H.b.142

Comment

Originally Posted by OmaMiesta View Post
          Claims it wasn't a dig at me yet references while at the same time undermines the 147 line up "coincidentally" the same time I post a 147 thread... Then goes on to criticize players for not playing in his events....hmm okay there Terry, real slick And hilarious....are you seriously saying that me stating my past victories is considered "bragging" Mr. "I won a Corvette in 1980 something". And no I wasn't talking about Monte Carlo or Corner bank though I have played in those a few times, I mainly play full rack at Master Q. I never claimed I was as good as Floyd or John....how is bringing them up even relevant? And no it doesn't give me pleasure challenging you, I just figured it would humble you a little But okay Terry sure, if you say it wasn't a blatant call out then great we have nothing to argue here do we? Have a good day.
          Ok so here is my two penance worth for what it's worth - I personally have no problem with the "147 Challenge" although I would prefer the title to reference "line up 147" and would hope that it doesn't carry any sort of clout in terms of snooker ability other than you are competent at this routine and it's a bit of fun. For me anyone who has made a couple of real frame 100's could quite comfortably achieve the line up maxi if practiced, also not seen one done yet on anything resembling a tournament template table - again not knocking just bringing some reality that it's a bit of fun. Which is why when I said I would have a go (possibly tonight) I would do a one take for a bit of fun and yes mine will be on a standard club table too. Back in to Terry's point about pressure situations really showing who has the minerals to be a really good player I 100% agree. I have risen to pressure on occasion but also crumbled like a cheap biscuit - the latter certainly leaves a few scars which makes it even harder to rise above the next time. The really good players consistently handle it. My case and point is if you saw Magicman (sorry to pick on you) do the line up you may think in terms of technique aesthetics one of the other players who have completed this routine to be the better player, when in reality in terms of a snooker player I would bet they would be crashing out pretty early in the event Magicman just won. So to summarise it's a good bit of fun but certainly does not back up where you rank as a snooker player on this forum.

Comment

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
            Ok so here is my two penance worth for what it's worth - I personally have no problem with the "147 Challenge" although I would prefer the title to reference "line up 147" and would hope that it doesn't carry any sort of clout in terms of snooker ability other than you are competent at this routine and it's a bit of fun. For me anyone who has made a couple of real frame 100's could quite comfortably achieve the line up maxi if practiced, also not seen one done yet on anything resembling a tournament template table - again not knocking just bringing some reality that it's a bit of fun. Which is why when I said I would have a go (possibly tonight) I would do a one take for a bit of fun and yes mine will be on a standard club table too. Back in to Terry's point about pressure situations really showing who has the minerals to be a really good player I 100% agree. I have risen to pressure on occasion but also crumbled like a cheap biscuit - the latter certainly leaves a few scars which makes it even harder to rise above the next time. The really good players consistently handle it. My case and point is if you saw Magicman (sorry to pick on you) do the line up you may think in terms of technique aesthetics one of the other players who have completed this routine to be the better player, when in reality in terms of a snooker player I would bet they would be crashing out pretty early in the event Magicman just won. So to summarise it's a good bit of fun but certainly does not back up where you rank as a snooker player on this forum.
            Definitely not arguing about the nature or purpose of the line up nor was I claiming it was a representation of ones ability to perform in tournaments. Like I said, its just a fun little challenge meant to spice up the Forum and let the members see each other play on video. Tournament results should certainly be used as the basis to determine a players standard. Thats not what the issue was about at all but who cares anymore lol this argument is getting daft, cheers.
            Last edited by OmaMiesta; 31 January 2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

I agree with everything that's been said on this string. So no more arguments please, I agree with you.
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Just noticed the snooker club has got magicman's century on YouTube now. Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/VDGOMCo-IGI

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
                  Just noticed the snooker club has got magicman's century on YouTube now. Here's the link:

Looks like he did it on a rug too, jeez... really is a magic man!

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post

That was really good and really controlled. Impressive to say the least.

Comment

Would have been a total clearance too if it wasn't for the slow table, the last blue was also fantastic.

Comment

Aw shucks guys, stop it, I'm going red.

The other ton I had on the day was a 104 but there was a possible 138 on, beating Barry Pinches 134! Barry, of course, actually won a PTC event, beating Ronnie in the final.

I'm far happier having won the event, considering the strength of the field, than in having two match tons, although I was quite happy with those too!
                        I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
                          Aw shucks guys, stop it, I'm going red.

The other ton I had on the day was a 104 but there was a possible 138 on, beating Barry Pinches 134! Barry, of course, actually won a PTC event, beating Ronnie in the final.

I'm far happier having won the event, considering the strength of the field, than in having two match tons, although I was quite happy with those too!
                          Didn't realize you were 51, hardly look it from the video. Even more impressive, how long have you been playing?

Comment

I started, like a lot of players, on smaller 6ft pool/snooker tables. My cousin had one, as did two of my best mates. I got one myself when I was 12/13 and graduated to a 12 ft by 14/15. More of a footballer as a kid, and my development as a snooker player has largely been as an adult.
                            I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
                              I'm not sure I can be arsed to do the max line up attempt to prove my worth, so hopefully this Pro-am I won yesterday is enough. Apologies, once again to Stuart 'Ballrun' Bingham, who knocked me out of the last Pro-am at this club, but Winner Winner chicken dinner!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00010368365324
                              Well Done, I am sure you had to earn it very competitive and elite group..
                              I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                                When I was playing in Britain we had a pro-am almost every weekend through the season, but I don't think it's that way over there these days. I believe the best way for a player to get to be really good is for him to play in every tournament he can but unfortunately the opportunities are not there as much anymore.

Over here we have 10 ranking tournaments per season and although I'm pretty much past it these days I still really enjoy playing in our little mini-tour and do manage to win the odd match against fairly good players (for Canadians of course). I even managed to get to the 1/4-finals this past Saturday from a field of 32. The problem is I started at 11am and broke off in the 1/4's at 8pm, so I was pretty well spent (that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it). My young opponent (around 25yrs or so) had plenty left in the tank and made the finals but lost to Floyd Zeigler after midnight.
                                Well Done Terry, I noticed this on your website. Will be attending some tournaments again in near future. Cheers
                                I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X