Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three to watch at The World Snooker Championship (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three to watch at The World Snooker Championship (2009)

Of the 32 players set to grace the Crucible in 2009, The Boss looks at three who could upset defending champion Ronnie O'Sullivan.

MARK KING:
    The stage is set for Mark King at the Crucible. Loitering below the pecking order in this season's ranking list, the Romford Godfather will feel he needs a run to the Semi Final to be sure of retaining his Top 16 position. King has never gone beyond the last 16 at the event he graced so memorably last season when he defeated Mark Selby 10-8 in Round 1. Vivid memories of that occassion allied with a disappointing season this time round should inspire King to set his sights high. He'll hope to reach the final of course and a potential clash with Ronnie O'Sullivan (in the other half of the draw) would produce another blockbuster.

King currently leads 6-5 in their meetings, the most memorable of which have been at the UK Championship: O'Sullivan's wet towel over the head collapse in 2005 contrasts with his 9-1 demolition of King when they last met in 2007. King, however, is capable of anything; his century of the season contender against Ricky Walden at the Masters is the type of snooker he can produce when in the mood. He will prove a handful for any player if he reaches the second week. King will get his bid under way when he faces qualifier Rory McCleod on the 18th of April.

Royal Gathering: King is one of the most distinctive players when "Down on the shot". His gratified, rebellious disposition is unique among professionals. Assured without being ultra cocky, King can generate power almost effortlessly with his left handed cue arm.

JOE PERRY:
    One of the most elegant players on the circuit, the Sicilian looking Perry is like a bottle of Barolo: he grows finer with age. Since turning professional in 1991, the man from Wisbeck had to wait until 2002 to reach the elite top 16, but it wasn't until 2004 when he began to fulfil his true potential, reaching the Quarter Final stage at the Crucible. He lost to Matthew Stevens on that occassion, but went one better at the UK Championship the following season, where he would manage two Semi-Finals in succession (2004 and 2005).

Perry continued to mature and is now one of the game's most complete and feared opponents. His run to the Semi-Final of the World Championship in 2008 culminated in a classic match with Ali Carter, which Perry narrowly lost 17-15. His composure in the pressure-cooker match arena makes him one of the players to watch at this year's event, also because he has already defeated defending champion Ronnie O'Sullivan twice this season, most notably when he came back from 2-6 down to triumph emphatically 9-6 in Telford last December. Perry will get his bid under way when he faces qualifier Jamie Cope on the 20th of April.

Il Uomo Pericoloso: Perry is one of the most distinctive players when "down on the shot". His dark and unmerciful demeanor suggests the sophistication of a trained assassin. He employs a cool and composed cue-action, with a ruthless pull back, pause and release. The sound of a chilling musical score would lend the sequence maximum effect.

PETER EBDON:
    It's official: Cyborg Peter Ebdon is back! Threatening to disappear off the competitive radar, Islington born Ebdon exploded back into action to take the title in China. It would have taken a Terminator style reboot in practice to get that scientific mind of his back into gear. And the machinery of arm and brain showed no signs of error when tested on the table. He was calculating, steely and programmed to win again - as if he'd never gone away.

Notoriously prepared every year for the World Championship, Ebdon has found his form at the right time for another assault on the title he won in 2002. If he wins his first two matches, he is scheduled to play champion O'Sullivan in the Quarter Final. The pair met for a controversial tie at the same stage in 2005, with Ebdon getting under the Rocket's skin on that occassion to prevail 13-11. Another meeting between the two is bound to draw comparisons. Ebdon will get his bid under way when he faces qualifier Nigel Bond on the 21st of April.

Cybernetic Force: Ebdon's determined, calculating cue action is as dependable as advanced machinery.

THE BOSS

Cybernetic Force: Ebdon's determined, calculating cue action is as dependable as advanced machinery.

I LOL'ed . I thought you were going to make a crack about how he needed oiling, Ha!
    只讓我們相戀 這一季的秋天, 飄落後才發現 這幸福的碎片。要我怎麼撿。

Comment

king will lose to maguire , perry will lose to cope and ebdon will lose to day
      Robbo Unbeatable in ranking finals 6 out of 6

COME ON ROBBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by superaussie View Post
        touche

message too short
        2009 Shanghai Masters Predict the Qualifiers Champion

2008 Grand Prix Final Prediction Champion

http://ryan147.com

Comment

Great humour in this thread. I approve.

Comment

Steve Davis will win his seventh world title come the start of May.
            You heard it here first !
            :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by bonoman1970 View Post
              Steve Davis will win his seventh world title come the start of May.
              You heard it here first !
              :snooker:
              And each of his matches will last 10 hours
              sigpic
              Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli

Comment

and robbo will lose to Ali
                ALI FOR WORLD CHAMP 2012

Comment

How often does someone have an absolutely dreadful season and redeem themselves in the final tournament of the year?

My three to watch out for once Sheffield comes around:

1. John Higgins: I have a feeling. He has been one of the best this year.
                  2. Ali Carter: solid all season, if he didn't freeze like a fox caught in headlights everytime he faced O'Sullivan it would be even better
                  3. Ding: this probably goes against what I said above, but this could be make or break for Ding in a certain situation

Comment

I'm thinking that after slightly disappointing seasons, Maguire and Selby will be out to finish with a flourish and both will make at least the quarter-finals.

The third quarter is probably the most interest of all though, can genuinely see most of them coming through it. The winner of Hendry/Williams could be tough to beat if they gain some confidence.

Bit of a shame that Allen/Gould drew each other because I'd have liked to see them both go on a run here. Think Allen will just about come through though for reasons that I have explained in my preview of that section of the draw here.

Would be interesting to see how he handles O'Sullivan should they meet.
                    sigpic
                    http://prosnookerblog.com/

Comment

Oh, thats your website. I must say that I've enjoyed reading the player profiles thus far. Only issue I have is that some of the videos have been deleted, not your fault, youtube's I guess.

Post another message here if when you have the second part of the article up.

Also, you and I share the same feelings about Lee beating Day. Another point - is Bingham right or left handed? you have two different photos.

Comment

Originally Posted by crucible77 View Post
                        touche

message too short
                        touche no

im stating my views on how the 3 players will do

Comment

touche no

im stating my views on how the 3 players will do
                          yeah and im agreeing with you
                          2009 Shanghai Masters Predict the Qualifiers Champion

2008 Grand Prix Final Prediction Champion

http://ryan147.com

Comment

Originally Posted by crucible77 View Post
                            yeah and im agreeing with you

no problem

Comment

Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post
                              Oh, thats your website. I must say that I've enjoyed reading the player profiles thus far. Only issue I have is that some of the videos have been deleted, not your fault, youtube's I guess.

Post another message here if when you have the second part of the article up.

Also, you and I share the same feelings about Lee beating Day. Another point - is Bingham right or left handed? you have two different photos.
                              Yeah I'm aware of the video issue, I have replaced a few recently but I've not had time to do all of them with the China and the Worlds coming up. Going to overhaul them all over the summer when there is less to post on, seems to most logical time.

Bingham is definitely right-handed, good spot though.

Will post the second part on Friday probably.
                              sigpic
                              http://prosnookerblog.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X