Paul Collier Interview August 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Collier Interview August 2005

Q1. Have you a favourite player(s) you like to ref?
    A1. It wouldn't be fair to single out any player and I don't really have a favourite in all honesty anyway. I do enjoy refereeing any player who is at the top of their game.

Q2. What do you do in your spare time when you are not refereeing?
    A2. I play some snooker and nine ball and also love a game of golf. I am a member of the Celtic Manor Golf Club and have a handicap of 18. I also do a bit of work for a friend of mine who has bought a car showroom in Newport. I worked there for the odd day or two just to help him while he was starting out but I really enjoy it and try and do two days a week when there aren't any tournaments on.

Q3. What did you think of Sky Sports premier league snooker? Was it a good thing or not?
    A3. I was fortunate enough to referee every match in this years' league and thought it was fantastic! I had many reservations when I first saw the proposed format but the reactions of the players and both the live and TV audiences proved what a great idea it was. Bring on next year!

Paul Collier
    (Image coutesy of World Snooker)
    Q4. What was the best match you have ever refereed and why?
    A4. I think it was my first Ranking event final at the Regal Welsh in 2002. Not only was it great as a Welshman to referee the Welsh Final as my first one, but it was also a great match played in great spirit by two great players. Paul Hunter was the eventual winner over Ken Doherty. My biggest achievement would be the 2004 World Final and I am also the youngest referee ever to ref the big one! It was the O'Sullivan v Dott Final so was a bit one sided in the end but still a great memory for me.

Q5. Do you think (like in Rugby/Cricket) that a "2nd eye" could be used when replacing balls after a failed snooker attempt would be good/useful?
    A5. NO. I think it would take much longer than it does now and because you cannot logistically utilise this option in every single snooker match played through a season it would be unfair on the players.

Q6. You are the youngest man to referee an Embassy World Championship final, how does it feel to know now that Embassy no longer sponsor the game that that record will stay with you and cannot be broken.

A6. It feels great! Somebody younger may do a World Final in years to come and maybe even at the Crucible, but nobody younger will do an Embassy Final. I would like to see some younger referee\'s in the game and hope my record does get beaten one day but at least the Embassy bit is safe.

Q7. What did the WSA have to say when you first asked them about changing you dress code from the traditional white shirt to a black shirt?

Paul with the Embassy World Championship Trophy
    A7. They were a little bemused as nobody had tried to change things for quite a while. They went and asked both the BBC and Sky what their opinion was and both said they were fine with it so I got the nod. I am quite a traditionalist when it comes to dress codes in Snooker but don\'t mind being a bit different.

Q8. What would you like to see being done in the way of snooker sponsorship over the next 10 years?
    A8. I would love to see Snooker attract some \'blue chip\' companies and secure good sponsorship packages for all the major events. I think a lot of people forget that snooker isn\'t the only sport struggling for sponsors as the economic structure of the country has changed drastically from the \'good old days\' where companies could throw fortunes at sponsorship as a \'tax perk\'. I believe snooker is a great product and with the right people looking for sponsorship there are deals to be done.

Q9. You play snooker yourself, can you tell us a little about your own snooker history and you time playing for Newport in the Wales Town Team Championship?
    A9. I used to play as much as I could and have made several competitive centuries. I played for the Newport team for a couple of years and had a great time travelling around Wales playing in clubs where I had refereed many amateur tournaments. A lot of players who knew me as a ref were surprised to see that I could play a bit. When I played in the Town Team Final which Newport narrowly lost to Llanelli, Terry Griffiths told me that as a player I made a great referee! I played my last big match in a pro-am in Newport last year. I beat the three times Town Champion in the first round but then lost to my good friend Darren Morgan. I made a good fifty eight in the second frame and led 2-1 but eventually lost 4-2 after Darren made three seventies without really leaving me a shot. Although it was no disgrace to lose to Darren and it was a great match I was gutted and decided to retire gracefully from tournament play. I may make a comeback when I qualify for seniors events, you never know....

Q10. Here is a picture of you with another colourful character in Snooker Dominic Dale, have you played against any of the Pro snooker players at all?

Paul Collier (right) with Dominic Dale (left) at The Welsh Open
    (Image courtesy of World Snooker)
    A10. I play some times with Mark Williams and Lee Walker in my local club and I used to play regularly with Darren Morgan. The last time I played Mark Williams it was just one frame and I beat him off scratch. Believe me he will never be allowed to forget it!

Q11. It must get quite hot at some of the snooker venues especially at the Crucible with the TV camera lighting and you having to wear a shirt, bow tie and jacket, we see that the players have a chair and refreshments while not at the table but I have never seen a referee have any refreshments during play, do you have to wait till the interval or are you allowed to stop play for a refreshment?
    A11. We would never stop play for us to have refreshments but we do keep a drink at the markers desk at the spot end of the table and have a sip between frames if we need it. I haven\'t had to go to the loo yet during a match but I am sure it will happen one day.

Q12. What do you think about carrying the difference in points of a frame that ends in a re-rack? (Any advantage a player earns will not be lost and the Referee will feel more confident in a happy consensus from the players if he feels a re-rack is unavoidable)
    A12. I don\'t agree with changing the rule as I think it works fine as it is. If a re-rack is needed I am not bothered what the difference in scores is. A player who is in front is always given a few shots to change the pattern of play and protect his lead. If he doesn\'t and the frame is re-racked why should he be given the advantage back?

Q13. Do you have any tips for our young players and budding referees at Jesters?
    A13. Both players and referees must get as much practice and experience as they can. Listen to the advice of the people you respect and ask loads of questions. It worked for me!

Q14. If you had the chance to referee any match from the past which one would it be and why?
    A14. The 1985 World Final between Davis and Taylor. I was absolutely glued to the telly and would have loved to have been involved in some way in what is a piece of history both in snooker and Television.

Q15. What are your views on the new Hookrest?
    A15. It is a good gadget with a lot of uses and I am glad that World Snooker have introduced it to the standard equipment. Why does it take so long for us to think of these things?

Paul setting up the balls
    Q16. Is there any rule that you would change or even add?
    A16. There are a few really complex ways in which a player can gain a massive advantage by fouling deliberately. Not many players know the rules well enough to exploit these potential problems but I would like to change them just in case...

Q17. In 2001 you were invited by the WSA to become a full-time professional referee, how did they get to hear about you?
    A17. I had worked for World Snooker on a part-time casual basis since 1992. I actually refereed my first televised match at the International Open in 1993, James Wattana versus Danny Fowler, but I had a very good job and didn\'t see refereeing as a good career move at the time. I took a break from refereeing in 1997 and resumed in 1999. I was then asked to referee a few matches in the Matchroom League. From there the Chief Executive of the time, Jim MacKenzie, asked me to work for World Snooker.

Q18. Have you ever made a controversial decision at the table that you have regretted making later on?
    A18. Only one really stands out and I had to admit after the match to the players involved that I had made a mistake but both the players appreciated my honesty and it wasn\'t an issue. It does haunt my conscience occasionally but all I can do is move on and learn from it.

Q19. Do you get a huge number of visitors to your website? And do you know how many nationalities use your site? www.PaulCollier.net
    A19. I get loads of hits on the website and also lots of compliments from people and also some criticism but I do appreciate all the comments received. I have had emails from people in Russia, China, Croatia, Middle and Far East, Japan, Hong Kong, Canada, Australia and just about all European countries. Some of the translation in the emails from the people who don\'t have English as their first language is hysterical. It really is a good feeling to know that these people use their time to contact me even when the sentiment isn\'t entirely complimentary.
    Last edited by ferret; 8 October 2009, 02:27 AM.
Working...
X