X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kamui tips

hi just a bit of advice
    i use kamui medium black tips for my snooker cue
    recently i got hold of a 14mm 9 ball kamui medium black tip and fitted it to my cue but let me tell you these are totally different compared to the 11mm jobbies for snooker i cut it down and fitted it to my cue and the difference was it was rock hard compared to the other medium really struggled with screw shots i got it cheap so thats why i experimented, so before any one who tries to do this dont, even if you cut it down you can get 2 tips out of the 14mm tip cause they have 10 layeres compared to the 6 layered snooker ones any ways ive ripped it back off and ordered my self the 11mm version lol :snooker:
    2 off a ton

Thanks for the tip Rickster. I just bought a Kamui medium 9.5 to replace my Moori soft. Maybe I will stick with the Moori

Comment

After a bad experience with these tips I have decided to give them another go and will be fitting one shortly.

Comment

Make certain you get the Kamui 11mm MH Black which are made for snooker and presently used by both John Higgins and Graeme Dott (and now the famous Terry Davidson too!).

I just had a bad experience with the Kamui 11mm M and recently replaced it with an MH and that helped a lot

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I just put the kamui 11mm MH on the cue, I have to say that these tips are a lot easier to work with than the elks. Just have to have a few frames now.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            Make certain you get the Kamui 11mm MH Black which are made for snooker and presently used by both John Higgins and Graeme Dott (and now the famous Terry Davidson too!).

I just had a bad experience with the Kamui 11mm M and recently replaced it with an MH and that helped a lot

Terry
            Terry

Whoops too late, I already ordered the Kamui 9.5mm Medium. Maybe I will put it on my no 2 cue and see what it is like. Mind you, I put a Moori soft on my cue a few days ago and hated it. Decided to persevere until it bedded in to see how it went. Happy to say now that I am finding great accuracy and am getting happier and happier with it. It doesn't give me the feel that other tips have, but I don't neccessarily see this as a negative. It just makes me concentrate more on cueing straight and parallel and seems to work. I think it doesn't matter how long you play this game, something always turns up to surprise you

Comment

tommy:

When I put on a new tip, be it Elk Master, Talisman, Pro Granite or Kamui I always tap it down with a hammer just before the glue really sets. I did this with the Kamui M and it played well initially. I don't know what happened but after about 6 weeks of steady play my game just seemed to deteriorate badly and I couldn't figure out the problem. I couldn't even shoot the spots right at 2 table lengths!

So as a last resort, I decided to replace the M with an MH and all of a sudden I started making everything. This was just 2 days ago so maybe it's a little early, but today in practice by myself I had a 123, 97 (missed the damned blue to a top pocket after screwing up on the green and a lousy shot on the brown off the cushion), a couple of 80's and a few other fairly high runs. Yesterday was the same but without a century in there.

Was it the tip? Damned if I know but it sure looks like it. The only thing I've noticed is I get a slightly different sound with this Kamui MH but it dosn't seem to effect anything.

Terry
              Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                tommy:

When I put on a new tip, be it Elk Master, Talisman, Pro Granite or Kamui I always tap it down with a hammer just before the glue really sets. I did this with the Kamui M and it played well initially. I don't know what happened but after about 6 weeks of steady play my game just seemed to deteriorate badly and I couldn't figure out the problem. I couldn't even shoot the spots right at 2 table lengths!

So as a last resort, I decided to replace the M with an MH and all of a sudden I started making everything. This was just 2 days ago so maybe it's a little early, but today in practice by myself I had a 123, 97 (missed the damned blue to a top pocket after screwing up on the green and a lousy shot on the brown off the cushion), a couple of 80's and a few other fairly high runs. Yesterday was the same but without a century in there.

Was it the tip? Damned if I know but it sure looks like it. The only thing I've noticed is I get a slightly different sound with this Kamui MH but it dosn't seem to effect anything.

Terry
                yeah the harder ones are better for straight line stuff and dont throw as much with side, but the medium you can get more spin reaction it all depends on your style of play
                2 off a ton

Comment

Terry, Just been going through my box of tips that I have accumulated over the years. Elkmasters, Kamui 11 M and then found 3 Talisman pro shaped cue tips that came from somewhere. I have never used this type. Do you know anything about them?

She who must be obeyed is on holiday this week and we are just off out to visit a country house. No practice allowed - lots of walking about looking at some ancients artifacts I am not interested in - and coffee out of a flask. Nightmare scenario lol.

See you when I get back. By the way I am quite pleased now with that Moori soft. Giving me some real accuracy and I like the feel.

Comment

tommy:

If those Talismans are older and one of the first generation then the glue in them is a little suspect and there's a good chance they will de-layer once you shape them and use them. The initial run of Talismans had this problem but the newer ones are fine (at least in my experience).

I am well aware of the 'she who must be obeyed' syndrome, however I'm getting around it as my wife is a glass artist and she eats up all her spare time in that so with my table at home I can get all the practice I need, but unfortunately it's by myself all the time as there are no snooker clubs near me that have decent tables and good players to play with. The nearest one is about 30miles away but the tables are very slow, the cueballs are light and there are a lot of rolls plus no one in the place at all.

Terry
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

Hi Terry, I got leave to practice this evening and placing consecutive reds on the blue spot and the white on the baulk line potted 78 out of 90 into the top right hand pocket. The Moori has bedded in nicely now and I am playing with supreme confidence with it. I can't remember playing with that much accuracy and am really made up with the tip. However, I haven't had the same accuracy in the top left pocket. I am assuming that because I am right handed and right 'eyed' I am compensating too much when playing to the left. Something I need to work on. I have a match tomorrow morning as the Wife is off out with her mother and I am looking forward to see if the improvement is transferred to the match table.

Comment

I think I would get a little bored trying 90 of those shots and also I would wear a line in my table, but 78 out of 90 is a good percentage of around 85% (no calculator here). I would venture to say you have that shot mastered and can stop practicing it now.

How about the blue to top pocket and cueing off the brown spot? Try 45 into each top pocket so you can get some more lines on the table too!

You must set up a little differently from the yellow side. You might want to run a video doing both and see if you can detect the difference. I would say shoot the video from the top pocket

Terry
                        Terry Davidson

Comment

I've just had a go with a kamui mh. Having used elkmasters since I started playing, it is a massive change. The reaction in the White is incredible! Far superior to elkmasters. It will take a bit of getting used to, but I will definitely be sticking with it, as it feels so good I can't see me changing to a different brand or type anytime soon! A fantastic invention!
                          If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Terry

Finally put that Kamui Black M on my cue last night, as at practice I had exactly the same problem with the Moori soft as you had with the Kamui black M (earlier post). The Moori has been playing fine, and on the line ups last night I was getting good breaks, and the positioning was quite good. Then suddenly after about an hour, I couldn't pot anything. Also as I struck the q ball it sounded just like I was hitting it with no tip at all, as if I was hitting with the bare wood. Felt the tip and it wobbled a little on one side, so on getting home I took it off and put on the Talisman pro - which I hated. Couldn't do a thing with it. So off it come, and on went the Kamui Black M. I shaped it nicely and have been practicing with it today. Initially it felt a bit dull and I missed a few shots, then later this afternoon I started potting again. Now I really like it. Got a match tomorrow am, so will see how it goes. Yeh - my last match with a dodgy left eye - new eye arriving tuesday haha. But I will keep in mind what you said about the Kamui "going off" after about 6 weeks. Will let you know how things progress.

Tommy

Comment

Just wanted to update every one on the kamui tip I put on the cue. I just wanted to say that I've been converted and will not be using any other tip from now on. I can't say I get more spin or any thing like that, only that I'm playing better than I have for a year or so and have started making breaks again. It might be coincident and might have nothing to do with the tip but for now I can't see myself changing. If you haven't tried one before give it a go.

Comment

Working...
                              X