Bingham of the Baize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bingham of the Baize

Q. Looks like this is going to be a good season for you, you made a 124, 106, 116 and a 101 on your way to the final of the Paul Hunter English Open in Leeds which you won, have you changed anything with your practicing for this season?

A. Not really, just doing the same things I was doing last year. Which is getting a little boring! lol. I've had a few things off the table last year thats been sorted now, so that could be the reason for a bad season last year. We'll never know! ;-)

Q. Your form continues in Shanghai to beat Mark Selby currently ranked 7th, thats got to be one for the scrap book considering Marks form last season?

A. To be honest, it is a good win but I don't see Mark in that light. I was beating him 5-0 when he first turned pro, so I look at him in that way that he ain't nothing special. Don't get me wrong, I'd swap his career for mine anyday! lol

Q. So onto the next round against Ding Junhui who just knocked out Stephen Lee, do you have any different pressures when going to China than you would have in competitions in the UK?

A. No, I try and go to every competition the same. Try and do my best and hope its good enough to win on the day! But the conditions I think suit my game here, the humidity makes the table and balls play differently. Where I punch the ball and players like Higgins, Hendry, Ebdon etc cue the ball. I think thats why John Parrott won alot of his titles abroad.

Q. I was just looking at the draw and there is a good chance that you will be up against Ronnie O'Sullivan in the Quarter FInals, we spoke last at The world Snooker Championships just before you played Ronnie and you did not seem phased by playing him at all where other players would be bricking it, is confidence still high?

A. As I said in my last answer, I think the conditions suit me so the answer is yes. With everyone struggling with sleeping, you going to make mistakes. So you've gotta try and minimize the easy balls being missed.

Q. You practice with Ronnie in Essex which must give you a better insight than other player into his game, have you had much practice time with him before this season?

A. No, I haven't had the chance this season. He did text me for a game before here but I was in Belgium for a pro-am and then went straight to Prestatyn for another. I haven't had a weekend at home for about 2 months with the competitions thats been on.

Q. How are you dealing with the humidity in Shanghai?

A. The humidity isn't that bad because I've been inside most of the time and its all air-conditioned. But when you do go out side, its only about a minute till you start sweating!

Q. How long has it taken you to acclimatise to the time zone?

A. I think you never get used to it honestly. You've gotta try and get your body right for your matches. I've tried everything to coming out here a week before I play and 2 days before I play and I still haven't cracked it yet! lol

Q. What trophy do you want more than any other this season?

A. I'm not that choosy, any of them I'll be over the moon with! lol

Q. Lets talk flags! we all know that the Welsh are bonkers with their flags, Matthew Stevens has his dragons on his cuffs, John Higgins always has The Saltire (Saint Andrew's Cross) on his waste coat but I can not think of one of the English players to have The St Georges cross on their waste coat do you think this should be something the players should have on their clothing as standard and not a secondary thought?

A. It could be a good idea, but I don't think most of the English players are that bothered about it and there is so many English players on the tour. Where as Matthew and John like to be that little bit passionate about there country. (hope that makes sense?)

Q. I was just chatting to Nic Barrow and he says if you could do what you do in practice you would be in the top 8 of the rankings, is there something that is lowering your game from practice to competition play?

A. If you spoke to half the tour, they'd say the same thing! But there is something different with my competition game to my practise game. Not sure if its pressure or not? If I knew, I'd have done something about it 10 years ago.

Q. Do you watch any videos of your opponents playing to try and gather a insight into how they are going to play and try to figure out their weak spots?

A. No, not really. 1 day to another it can all change. I just try and concerntrate on my own game to be fair and hopefully its good enough on the day.

Questions from members

Maija - Q. What's your favourite tournament memory that doesn't involve winning it (or a match / frame)?

A. Thats a hard one!!! Remember the time I played Hendry in the worlds? (sorry to bore people with that match again!) But I remember saying to Hendry after I won my first frame in that match "That saves the whitewash!" We done the draw on Grandstand together and I was asking him before the draw was done what he was thinking before he played his first match at Sheffield. (he played Willie Thorne) He said that all he didn't want to do was to get whitewashed. So for the next 3 or 4 weeks after the draw was done, thats all I was thinking about! lol. Not sure if Stephen knew what I meant when I said it to him though! lol

Spike - Q. Do you hate watching yourself on TV and if so why?

A. Yes, because most of the time I've been on TV, I've lost! lol. No, I do like seeing the game I played in a different angle and how bad the commentators slagged me off! lol
Working...
X