Chat with Martin Gould

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chat with Martin Gould

Martin has been sticking around The Crucible and I done a quick Q&A with him yesterday.

Kevin - You are sticking around till the end, are you doing much?

Martin - No not really, just lounging around really just taking in all the experience and the atmosphere from what has been a really good tournament so far.

Kevin - Most players who get knocked out of a competition, go home and sulk, they don't put the snooker on.

Martin - Normally I would be like that but to be fair I did not feel like I have anything to be ashamed of, I put up a good performance, I lost 13-12 to who could be the eventual champion, I just thought that I am going to stick around and enjoy myself.

Kevin - Do you have any plans for the next few months while there is nothing much going on with Snooker in the UK?

Martin - I have been invited to a couple of tournaments, there is a invitational in India just outside of Mumbai which I won last year and they have invited me back again, but I am just waiting to see whats going to happen with the players meeting next week then I can decide what I am going to do.

Kevin - Are you going to attend on the 5th?

Martin - I am hoping to, I have a few things on back home but I am hopping to avoid worrying about them and come to the meet as I want to see whats going on and hear all the facts.

Kevin - On the build up to The Crucible did you do any coaching?

Martin - No, I hired a meditation teacher, I have been doing some yoga, meditation, deep breathing, all sorts of stuff to help my mind set and composure and not letting anything bother me.

Kevin - Has that helped a great deal?

Martin - Yeah, actually it has helped me a hell of a lot when I played the qualifiers, when I played Bjorn I was getting a little adgitated and I just left the arena and I went through a few things that my Yoga teacher taught me and it paid off.

Kevin - You always look confident around the table, nothing seems to phase you, this was most aparent to me at the 2009 Welsh Open when you beat Stephen Hendry.

Martin - I like to walk around the table as if I own it, I don't want to get myself down. I want to play the game as I see it, if I start rejecting pots then I am going bog myself down and end up going for some thing really stupid and I will get slated for it.

Kevin - Is there any players that you have not played yet that you want to?

Martin - I Would of loved to of played Steve Davis here, but my time will come, there is not really anybody, you know everybody says you must want to play Ronnie but if I get the opportunity I get the opportunity but I am not really too fussed if I don't play him.

Kevin - Going back about 5/6 months ago you took delivery of a John Parris cue.

Martin - Yeah I got a new cue but I actually have not started to use it yet though, I just got it on the basis that I was thinking of changing cues half way through the season to see if it would inspire me to start getting some results, I went to see Dell Hill just before Christmas, he done some work with me that sorted me out then that was when I hired the meditation teacher, I am looking forward to next season and causing some damage.

Kevin - So what cue are you using at the moment?

Martin - I am not actually sure what the makers name is! The badge has come off, I have had it for about 15 years, I used to play at a club called Rileys and I saw the cue in the rack and I just fell in love with it straight away, I picked it up and the first frame I played with it I made a 139 and I thought that is the cue for me and I have used it ever since.

Kevin - Who is your tip for the title then?

Martin - I would like to see Robertson win it then that would mean that I have lost to the champion but I would like to see Carter get through.

Great interview Kevin. Thanks.

Great to read how a player copes after being knocked out of the tournament.

Comment

Sent him a message on Faceboom also and he responded really quickly, seems like a real top bloke and look forward to seeing him at the big stage more often.
      http://MaximumSnooker.com - latest news with Maximum Snooker

Comment

Excellent interview, Ferret. A big 'Thanks' from new Gould fan.
        Winner of the 2009 UK Championship Lucky Dip
        Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest

Comment

Just added him on Facebook, accepted within 2 minutes.

Just mailed him

Top man.

Comment

His performance in the first session of the match against robertson was my highlight of this tournament, shame he didnt finish him off. hope to see him back again.
            Blown away

Comment

Love his attacking play reminds me of a young Hendry , seems like a nice chap aswell . I wish him all the best .

Comment

Good to see he is taking all the positives on board, solid performer, hope we will see more of him on tv in the future!

Comment

i am surprised at how well he has taken it..

its the best way to be...definitely one to watch in the next tournament i really hope he continues to stick around...
                  what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

Comment

Kevin - Going back about 5/6 months ago you took delivery of a John Parris cue.

Martin - Yeah I got a new cue but I actually have not started to use it yet though, I just got it on the basis that I was thinking of changing cues half way through the season to see if it would inspire me to start getting some results, I went to see Dell Hill just before Christmas, he done some work with me that sorted me out then that was when I hired the meditation teacher, I am looking forward to next season and causing some damage.

Love this answer (causing some damage) Martin was a breath of fresh air, it's such a shame he lost.

Comment

Im lucky enough to know Martin and have played him and i have to say hes a true gentleman, i went to play him at his local club north harrow snooker centre and the 1st thing he did was buy me and my mum a drink, id soon forgotten that when he knocked in a maximum against me half an hour later :L , hes definately got a chance of winning a few ranking events if he continues improving the way he has in the last year or so .

Comment

Well i,m gonna stick a tenner on him at 250/1 for the worlds .

Comment

Martin is a top bloke, he also plays at my snooker club in whetstone.
                          I think its only a matter of time untill he wins something, i saw him have 3 147's in one night a few weeks ago.

Comment

Nice bloke is Martin. He stopped in the same hotel as us in Sheffield and I spoke to him a few times. He knows how to enjoy himself also!

Comment

martin gould

starting following martin as a fan after seeing him narrowly lose to sean murphy in the uk championship a couple of years ago. since then managed to see him at a few venues.like his attacking approach to the game and seems to be a down to earth decent guy.shame he missed out to dominic dale in the recent final but no doubt his time will come as he is racing up the rankings. good luck martin.:snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X