World Chamionships Predictions with Stuart Bingham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Chamionships Predictions with Stuart Bingham

I have teamed up with Stuart Bingham to give you our predictions and thoughts of the first round matches.

World Snooker Chamionships 2010 Predictions

John Higgins v Barry Hawkins

Kevin:- The first match of the tournament as always is the defending champion, John Higgins has to be my favourite for this match, not taking anything away from Barry in this one though, he is the highest ranked qualifier after all and we have seen him play some fantastic snooker this year.

My score prediction would be 10-6

Stuart:- Protential banana skin here but John is favourite in my eyes. Barry didn't have a good start to the season even though he was playing well but he's making up for it now. Higgins is Higgins and always a tough game for anyone!

My score prediction would be a close 10-8

Mark King v Steve Davis

Kevin:- This is a hard match to predict, Mark is playing well and from what I have heard Steve is enjoying his practice upto the event, I think it would be unfair to rule Steve out at this early stage but Mark may just have the edge with this match but it could go either way and indeed I think the score will go right to the wire.

My score prediction would be a very close 10-9

Stuart:- Even though Steve is enjoying his practise I can't see him troubling Mark in this match. Mark is one of the toughest match players and has been playing well this season.

My score prediction would be 10-5

Kevin:- And we all know how he played against the last legend in a first round match and that was at a equal venue for pressure (Wembley Arena at The Masters) but the atmosphere was 100 times what it is going to be at The Crucible this year.

Neil Robertson v Fergal O'Brien

Kevin:- Robertson is on the right track at the moment with one ranking event under his belt this season he has to be a contender and he is John Higgins tip to watch, with Fergal just scraping through in qualifying I have to put Neil in for wining this match.

My score prediction would be 10-4

Stuart:- Another protential banana skin here, even though I'll put Neil favourite. He's got a great chance of reaching the final this year but has to overcome a few hurdles like this match. Fegal, like Hawkins has been playing well this season but hasn't won matches.

My score prediction would be 10-7

Marco Fu v Martin Gould

Kevin:- Marco beat Joe Swail 10 - 4 in the first round last year but got knocked out in the second by Shaun Murphy who ended up in the final against John Higgins, Martin did not make it past the the first round being beaten 10 - 6 to Mark Allen but Martin is playing well in practice at the moment and I am sure this has given him lots of confidence for this match and I predict he will take this match from Marco very quickly.

My score prediction would be 7 -10

Stuart:- Not sure on this one. Marco has found some form winning the Premier Championship League so I put Marco a slight favourite. Martin hasn't had the best of seasons but qualifying for this one will lift his confidence so could easily cause an upset.

My score prediction would be a close 10-8

Kevin:- I see where you are coming form on this one but Marco is like a yoYo he has sparkled a little for the last 18 month but now it is his time to go back down again for another 18 months until he returns once again, but yes a close match will be seen.

Allister Carter v Jamie Cope

Kevin:- I have to call Jamie for this one, although Ali has his game about him at the moment I think Jamie may just pip him at the post.

My score prediction would be a close 8-10

Stuart:- Match of the round I think. Could go either way and could be a hammering either way. Both players like to score and play well when in front so either one can pull away. Should be a cracker but have to make Ali slight favourite with experience.

Joe Perry Michael Holt

Kevin:- I really enjoy watching Michael on the table and with every competition his confidence and ability grows and it may just be enough to clinch this match but I will go against the grain and call Perry for this one. If Perry does not win this match then he may be out of the top 16

My score prediction would be 10 - 7

Stuart:- Another hard one to call. Joe has had a nightmare season but a win in China will lift him. Michael hasn't had the best of seasons either but I fancy Michael (not in that way!) to be a bit more confident than Joe.

My score prediction would be 7-10

Ding Junhui v Stuart Pettman

Stuart Pettman's Picture courtesy of Matt of www.ProSnookerBlog.com

Kevin:- I think everybody is going for Ding as favourite for this match but as you know Stuart, Mr Pettman is playing well at the moment. I think you are probably better qualified to predict this one as you have sat there and watched his play quite abit (for those of you that do not know Stuart Pettman won 10-2 against Stuaart Bingham in the qualifying for this event)

Stuart:- Ding is my outside bet for this years Championship. I think he'll be to strong for Stuart. Even though he beat me convincingly I can't see Stuart making an upset here. Sorry Stu!

My score prediction would be 10-3

Shaun Murphy v Gerard Greene

Kevin:- Last years finalist Shaun Murphy is my tip for this match, he has a near perfect cue action and if we tell the truth he is in another class to Gerard.

Stuart:- I think Shaun will be a bit to strong for Geri in this one. Geri has been taking a few quid off me this season (which don't happen normally!) so he might push Shaun close.

Stephen Maguire v Stephen Lee

Kevin:- Well I wouldn't bet on this one! And I am sure match fixing will be on the minds of both players before this match with the Maguire & Burnette still being dragged out and Stephen recently being arrested for aligations of match fixing, if we look at both their results over the past two years then you would have to go with Stephen for this one …........... Stephen Maguire that is.

Stuart:- Both players are class but both haven't done much this season. Maguire has won a few games not at his best this season so he's a tough match player which makes him have my vote. Lee has had a few problems off the table of late which can't help his preparation for this WC.

(That will be the score and I know it!!! lol)

Kevin:- I hope you realise that if it does go 10 – 7 you may have the police knocking at your door while in Thailand and the only TV programme we will be seeing you on is Banged up Abroad surrounded by lady boys

Peter Ebdon v Graeme Dott

Kevin:- Both of these players have not really had a good time of it recently, Dott with illness and injury then Ebdon have performance at the start of a game but it he seems to slacken off later on in his matches, it is a tough one to call but I think if Graeme wants it enough it will be his and he is desperate to do well at the moment that he may just put too much into this first match to clinch it.

My score prediction would be a close 7 - 10

Stuart:- Both got chances to get back in the top 16 provisionally so should be a close twitchy match! Graeme has come back into some good form after slipping down the ranks. Peter is still one of the hardest players to beat and play so could be a cracker.

Mark Allen v Tom Ford

Kevin:- This has to be the toughest prediction of the first round, two great up and coming players who have skills on the baize beyond their years but I believe Mark will win this match for the simple fact that the venue nor the players even seem to phase him.

Stuart:- Should be another cracker. Both young, fearless and pot from the lampshades. Both got a similar game but I've gotta go with Mark just because he's done it all before.

Ryan Day v Mark Davis

- Sorry No image of Mark in my library!!

Kevin:- I hope it will be Ryan's day as he deserves to do well in this competition but will the added responsibility at home leave him under practiced for this even as I am sure it will also effect Ali Carter in the same way. Mark Davis is a sensational player but is yet to shine but this could be his chance so my money will be on him for the first round.

Stuart:- Both good friends off the table so could be one of those games that don't sparkle as its hard to play a mate. Mark has finally made the top 32 which is well deserved so is in good form. I think Ryan will be a little to strong for Mark.

Mark Selby v Ken Doherty

Kevin:- It would be great to see Ken Doherty progress through this event, from what I have heard while Ken is still in the competition Clive Everton will be in the commentary box, Mark is a fantastic safety player and has great things ahead waiting for him but I don't think it will be this competition, saying that I think the first round is his.

Stuart:- A hard one to call this one. Mark hasn't had a good ranking tournament year but done well to win the Masters. Ken has beaten Mark twice already this year and it won't faze him to beat him again at Sheffield.

Stephen Hendry v Anda Zhang

- Sorry No image of Anda in my library!!

Kevin:- I got to call Hendry for this one I think the pressure of being at The Crucible for Anda Zhang will effect his game and for Hendry The Crucible is like a holiday home, he may as well be on the practice table at home playing this match, he has also now had just over 3 months to break his Parris Cue in.

Stuart:- Stephen has played well in patches the last couple of seasons but can't seem to prolong the form through a tournament. Anda is an unknown to everyone but is practicing at the same place as and with Ronnie and is a very talented player. But can't seeing him causing an upset here.

Mark Williams v Marcus Campbell

- Sorry No image of Anda in my library!!

Kevin:- Mark Williams without doubt for this match, he is on his game at the moment. Mark and Stephen Hendry were in a minor car accident while competing in The Masters and look how well Mark played in that match also with the win in China his confidence will be sky high at the moment.

Stuart:- With the way Mark has been playing the last couple of seasons he's got to be one of the favorites for this years WC. Marcus is a very hard match player but can't see an upset here.

Ronnie O’Sullivan v Liang Wenbo

Kevin:- Liang Wenbo for this one, he played great last year. I think with what happened in China will be playing on Ronnies mind and I don't think he has had the time he thinks he needs to prepare he also has doubts about his long potting which as we all know Liang has no problems with but saying that I think it will be a close game.

You practice with Ronnie when he is in town so you probably know more then most how his game is going at the moment, what would your prediction for this match be?

My score prediction would be 8-10

Stuart:- This should be a cracker. Well, all depends on what Ronnie turns up though. By my own experience, he's the best player in the world by far! It wouldn't be that much of an upset in my eyes if Liang won though as he's a class player. Proving this as he reached the final of the first tournament this season. But Ronnie has my verdict.

Images Copyright www.FocusStacked.co.uk

Last edited by ferret; 12 April 2010, 06:53 PM.

Brilliant Kevin. Great read and I am sure others will agree with me on this one. Well done to both of you for compiling this.

Comment

Good read and food for thoughts. Thank you both!.
      Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
      http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Thanks! Great job!:snooker:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOCoVQZSihc

Love snooker.:fat:

Comment

Kevin:- I hope you realise that if it does go 10 – 7 you may have the police knocking at your door while in Thailand and the only TV programme we will be seeing you on is Banged up Abroad surrounded by lady boys

thats about right for stu!
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

very nice well done to both
            Winner of crucible 77's 2008 Jiangsu Classic Fantasy Snooker Game
            Winner of 2009 China Open Prediction Contest

Comment

Interesting read, thanks!

Comment

enjoyed that guys thanks

Comment

Shall we enter him on the prediction thread and see how he does??

What that HB of 105....

Comment

thanks fellas.
                    good read.
                    wooooooooo snookerrr

Comment

Did Joe Perry wake up and see Fergal O'Brien in the mirror?

Good read, though
                      sigpic
                      Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli

Comment

Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
                        Ah how did that happen! when I am back in later I will correct that.

Comment

Thanks Kevin and Stuart. Very interesting analogy.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Boss View Post

Good read, though
                            Wondering how all the other readers didn't happen to notice that

Interesting prediction by Kevin for Ding's match.
                            Based only on Pettman's qualifing match with Bingham, or something else as well?
                            Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest.

RIP Noel. RIP.

Comment

% Share of Predictions
                              for each scoreline...
                              10-1
                              to
                              10-3
                              10-4
                              or
                              10-5
                              10-6
                              or
                              10-7
                              10-8
                              or
                              10-9
                              9-10
                              or
                              8-10
                              7-10
                              or
                              6-10
                              5-10
                              to
                              3-10
                              John Higgins v. Barry Hawkins739437300
                              Mark King v. Steve Davis312351424112
                              Neil Robertson v. Fergal O'Brien1945313010
                              Marco Fu v. Martin Gould918301613121
                              Ali Carter v. Jamie Cope16253913123
                              Joe Perry v. Michael Holt07193028150
                              Ding Junhui v. Stuart Pettman2848191030
                              Shaun Murphy v. Gerard Greene1852254000
                              Stephen Maguire v. Stephen Lee3254218641
                              Peter Ebdon v. Graeme Dott11273421123
                              Mark Allen v. Tom Ford6393416130
                              Ryan Day v. Mark Davis9273416940
                              Mark Selby v. Ken Doherty71833221630
                              Stephen Hendry v. Anda Zhang13363313013
                              Mark Williams v. Marcus Campbell3452130000
                              Ronnie O'Sullivan v. Liang Wenbo4214227311
                              Avg Distribution (%)10283016952

This is based on the 75 predictions for the 1st round. Anything in bold is a higher than expected number of predictions for that outcome. So for example, almost half of members have Ding v. Pettman as 10-4 or 10-5?!

Micheal Holt there as one of the qualifiers that could get through R1.

Comment

Working...
                              X