World Open new format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Open new format

A few days ago I was quite shocked by a comment my brother made! he said "I was watching your mate Matthew play Snooker yesterday, he played really well, shame he did not win"

Saying that I had to sit down and take a breath is a understatement, my brother is not a Snooker fan and has never watched a match unless I am round his house and I have put it on the TV so this statement was really shocking to me.

As it turns out he has watched quite alot of the Snooker this week because of the quick fire format of best of 5 frames, before this week he could only name two Snooker players, Ronnie O'Sullivan and Jimmy White and he only knows Ronnie's name because of the publicity caused form the press conference in China a few years back and in fact he refers to Ronnie as nosh boy!

Now my brother can name at least a dozen players and even has a decent understanding of the rules.

As it turns out a few of my friends and family who never watch the Snooker have been drawn in this week, 5 of the 6 people I called today who I know never watch the Snooker have said that they have watched at least 3 matches this week, will this make them watch other tournament? maybe but another comment made by my brother makes me believe that they will not, he said "I would watch more matches if they were 5 or 6 frames but that best of 19 stuff they do is just boring, watching quick matches is fun, just as you think it is going to start being boring you go make a cup of tea and when you get back there are different people playing"

From my point of view I have not really watched too much this week because I would like to see longer matches, the best of 5's is too much like a lottery and the players who need a few frames to warm up are just not getting a chance where as they would in a best of 9 but I have watched the matches that I knew would be good entertainment, White, Williams, Stevens, Gould, Hendry etc

So my conclusion for the format is that it is a good one and will bring more people into watch, will be interesting to see what the TV ratings are like after the event finishes.

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
    From my point of view I have not really watched too much this week because I would like to see longer matches, the best of 5's is too much like a lottery and the players who need a few frames to warm up are just not getting a chance where as they would in a best of 9 but I have watched the matches that I knew would be good entertainment, White, Williams, Stevens, Gould, Hendry etc
    The results I feel have disproven the lottery theory clearly, as the higher-ranked players have still gone through. I'd be curious about your opinion had you actually watched some more. Plus speaking of long matches, one of Lee's matches managed to last for a (painful) 2,5 hours.

Comment

The thing is, where do you draw the line? If single frame matches with a 30 second shot time limit, were to put more bums on seats, would that be the way forward for the game, or the death of it, and the birth of a different, new one.

I think that the comparison with the 50-50 form of cricket is a good one, IMO the longer game is a real 'test' of skill, stamina, nerve, and spirit. Think of the 'classic' matches that we remember so fondly, this short format simply can't carry the same emotional weight.
      But everything has to come thick and fast these days, so maybe that's just the way it is. Personally, the longer the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Incidentally, I think the fact that it's taken more than 50 matches before we've had a winning come-back from 2-0 behind, says something about this format, but I'm not exactly sure what though.

-
      Last edited by PatBlock; 25 September 2010, 04:08 PM.
      The fast and the furious,
      The slow and labourious,
      All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

I think the new formats great,i agree you maybe dont get the long grinding battles, but in most case's thats good isnt it.
        The long games with the top players can be great, but how many time do you turn on the snooker only to be faced with the likes of Ebo playing someone just as boring and you just know its going down to the last frame !!!!

Comment

I'm delighted with the new World Open format ! It's the best thing that could happend to snooker. People who never watch snooker,watched at least 3-5 matches and they still watch...The best players are the best at this moment ,doesn't matter if they play Bo5 or Bo7 or Bo9. It's not a lottery,I think....It's also very positive to see all players live on TV! Great tournament for snooker popularity. World Open should remain in that format...

Comment

I think its been a good experiment and has gone better than many have expected...

The cream has still managed to come to the top. Its got people watching who normally aren't hardened snooker fans. Each match has been a mini-drama, a 1-0 or even 2-0 lead hasn't given the players time to relax because they know the game can still be easily lost. But, the players have still been seen to enjoy playing! And one thing that needs to be pointed out is that the players have been seen to even enjoy the format from the spectators point of view with a few of them seen in the audience (Mark Willians in particular) and that's not really seen at other venues!!

I feel there is room for an event like this and I don't mind the fact that there are a lot of ranking points available (some have mentioned there's too many available). It gives variety not only to the snooker season but will give the players a little to think about regarding tactics on approaching a short format tournament. Although, I don't think best of 5 or 7 should/will become the norm.
            Highest Break
            Practice: 136 (2005)
            Match: 134 (2006)
            In 2011: 94
            Centuries made: 50+

Comment

Originally Posted by muzicman147 View Post
              I think the new formats great,i agree you maybe dont get the long grinding battles, but in most case's thats good isnt it.
              The long games with the top players can be great, but how many time do you turn on the snooker only to be faced with the likes of Ebo playing someone just as boring and you just know its going down to the last frame !!!!
              You see, I honestly enjoy those games just as much. The drama is of a different kind, but to me, no less entertaining than something more firey.

-
              The fast and the furious,
              The slow and labourious,
              All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Originally Posted by thinsy View Post
                I think its been a good experiment and has gone better than many have expected...

The cream has still managed to come to the top. Its got people watching who normally aren't hardened snooker fans. Each match has been a mini-drama, a 1-0 or even 2-0 lead hasn't given the players time to relax because they know the game can still be easily lost. But, the players have still been seen to enjoy playing! And one thing that needs to be pointed out is that the players have been seen to even enjoy the format from the spectators point of view with a few of them seen in the audience (Mark Willians in particular) and that's not really seen at other venues!!

I feel there is room for an event like this and I don't mind the fact that there are a lot of ranking points available (some have mentioned there's too many available). It gives variety not only to the snooker season but will give the players a little to think about regarding tactics on approaching a short format tournament. Although, I don't think best of 5 or 7 should/will become the norm.
                A very good point, indeed. Matches are not played simultaneously, so, players find plenty of time to have a look at what other players are doing.

I have to confess that this tournament has already exceeded my
                expectations, with top players reaching the latter stages and limited number of upsets..
                Still, there are a couple of things to improve. The crowd surely needs to be more involved with the matches in the earlier stages, for instance. They have also reacted poorly in the player introductions, as well.

All in all, this tournament was successful enough to be noted as fairly positive. Let's see what this format will bring us in the next years.
                All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

Originally Posted by montoya10 View Post
                  The crowd surely needs to be more involved with the matches in the earlier stages, for instance. They have also reacted poorly in the player introductions, as well.
                  This venue always seems to be poorly represented..... Whatever the format
                  Highest Break
                  Practice: 136 (2005)
                  Match: 134 (2006)
                  In 2011: 94
                  Centuries made: 50+

Comment

Originally Posted by thinsy View Post
                    This venue always seems to be poorly represented..... Whatever the format
                    I think I agree with you in this one.
                    Sad, but true.
                    All the way Mark J!!

Comment

It's been a breath of fresh air for me.

Even the BBC can get almost full coverage in without having to rely on the bloody red button!

As to the "lottery" format....

When was the last time all four semi finalists in a ranking tournament were current or former World Champions?

Definitely a place on tour for it
                      Definitely worthy of ranking points - just needs to be proportional to major tournaments

Comment

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
                        As it turns out a few of my friends and family who never watch the Snooker have been drawn in this week, 5 of the 6 people I called today who I know never watch the Snooker have said that they have watched at least 3 matches this week, will this make them watch other tournament? maybe but another comment made by my brother makes me believe that they will not, he said "I would watch more matches if they were 5 or 6 frames but that best of 19 stuff they do is just boring, watching quick matches is fun, just as you think it is going to start being boring you go make a cup of tea and when you get back there are different people playing"
                        But surely this will not make those who are brought in by World Open true snooker fans..
                        I'm not a darts fan, but when I come across the world championship on eurosport, I give it a look, and perhaps this is the situation for those who like the shorter format more.

For instance, O'Sullivan vs Williams match in last season's World Championship was a best of 25, and I wish it was a best of 50, because it looked like I could even keep watching without having a day's sleep. My point is there are matches that you would like to see going on and matches that you would like to see end quickly. It is the way it should be, I suppose.

But the turning point was this evening, when Stephen Maguire was sent packing by Ronnie O'Sullivan after missing a single red in the entire match.
                        Although I was cheering for Ronnie, I felt very sorry for Stephen at the end, as he was playing great and in any other ranking event, would have at least a mid-session break to cool Ronnie's hot hand and stand a chance.
                        So, I still find the tournament entertaining from some aspects, but the ranking points awarded should not be on par with other ranking events.
                        All the way Mark J!!

Comment

The Disappointing thing for me about Tomorrows semi Final its a Class Lineup but the Matches will be over before it starts. ive enjoyed the World Open but you dont get the essence of what makes snooker exciting because theres not enough time for it

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                            The Disappointing thing for me about Tomorrows semi Final its a Class Lineup but the Matches will be over before it starts. ive enjoyed the World Open but you dont get the essence of what makes snooker exciting because theres not enough time for it
                            Does anyone know if they are the going to make the finals longer ?

Comment

Originally Posted by muzicman147 View Post
                              Does anyone know if they are the going to make the finals longer ?
                              If you mean the final of this tournament, it is going to be a best of nine.
                              All the way Mark J!!

Comment

Working...
                              X